Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

I hope that they'll put two bathrooms (not the dumb ones in the Poly) but two full baths. I also wonder if they won't build a pool area with gated access. I'm eager to see the full plans.

The announcement already says it will be one bathroom. After BLT and Kidani, DVD stopped putting two bathrooms in any of the 1 bedrooms....

These cabins are so not what floats my boat. A vacation is not a vacation if I have a bunk bed full of children next to me and we all are sharing one bathroom. DVC has turned me into such a bedroom snob and there is no going back. "These 225 points will get us loads of nights in studios!" turned *immediately* into "I won't consider anything less than a 1 bedroom" :laughing:

I guess the hotel industry is alive and well so clearly it's not a huge priority for everyone else.

The thing that sticks out for me is the lack of mention of a laundry room. If I'm in the equivalent of a 1 bedroom, I want that washer & dryer. I suppose they could add small ones right in the kitchen which isn't unheard of, but if I have to drag my laundry out to another building and I'm using the same, or close to, points level as other 1 bedrooms - no thanks. I am still intrigued if for no other reason than renting a golf cart.
Sucks when camping does not have all the comforts of home

I don't think they had enough cash payers for the Cabins so they decided to make it DVC. I would say they will be knocking down the 59 cabins and building another pool, restaurant/gift shop etc. They would need another pool. The pool closest to the cabins is too small and the big pool is way too crowded. The new pool would be exclusive to DVC members probably.
This.

So is that 800 room at contemporary tower
modular construction made by US Steel, transported to the CR site and put into place in that concrete high rise.

we were at WDW for the last big storm…the RVs were all moved over the the MK parking lot. Evac’d as to flood potential and the generally unspoken issue of how trailers can fare in a hurricane. AK did a lovely job taking care us.

curious as to how they will secure them to whatever foundation they use. I’m sure it will be complaint with current Regs

I wonder what the dues on these will be, and what will be covered by those dues. I imagine trailers (even if they're nice trailers) are pretty inexpensive to maintain. Variables will be what percentage of FW will be funded and maintained by DVC dues.

I heard once that amount of roof on any given property generally dictated the cost of dues, i.e., BLT has a relatively small roof covering a good many villas, so their dues are lower. Will this rule of thumb translate to free-standing trailers?

I wonder what the dues on these will be, and what will be covered by those dues. I imagine trailers (even if they're nice trailers) are pretty inexpensive to maintain. Variables will be what percentage of FW will be funded and maintained by DVC dues.

I heard once that amount of roof on any given property generally dictated the cost of dues, i.e., BLT has a relatively small roof covering a good many villas, so their dues are lower. Will this rule of thumb translate to free-standing trailers?
I think this is a very good point. From a cost perspective I’d actually think these stand-alones would be relatively expensive to maintain compared to hotel rooms. Combined with the transport costs I could see the cost per unit dues wise being higher then traditional dvc. That said it again likely comes down to point charts. If the resort is pointed towards a treehouse light I envision the dues would be relatively low. If they point it as a 1BR light (which aligns with cash rate now) I could see these being amongst the highest dues.

I don't think they had enough cash payers for the Cabins so they decided to make it DVC.
This, and it allows Disney to flip a property and recoup much of the cost. I think we can expect more of these flips unless selling multiple properties simultaneously turns out to be a bad idea, and they oversaturate the market/confuse buyers. I like the idea of having options personally.
I heard once that amount of roof on any given property generally dictated the cost of dues, i.e., BLT has a relatively small roof covering a good many villas, so their dues are lower.
Makes a lot of sense, spreading everything out, not sharing water, heat, cooling. More man power for cleaning, trash, maintenance.

I think this is a success if they target a moderate point chart and lower dues at the same cost per point.

These cabins are so not what floats my boat. A vacation is not a vacation if I have a bunk bed full of children next to me and we all are sharing one bathroom. DVC has turned me into such a bedroom snob and there is no going back. "These 225 points will get us loads of nights in studios!" turned *immediately* into "I won't consider anything less than a 1 bedroom" :laughing:

I guess the hotel industry is alive and well so clearly it's not a huge priority for everyone else.
ITA. I have no idea how close these are to one another, and probably never will. But the idea of someone's dog barking me awake at 6AM, I'm out.

But there's lots of room in DVC for lots of styles. Sounds like a lot of people do want to travel with their dogs.

modular construction made by US Steel, transported to the CR site and put into place in that concrete high rise.

we were at WDW for the last big storm…the RVs were all moved over the the MK parking lot. Evac’d as to flood potential and the generally unspoken issue of how trailers can fare in a hurricane. AK did a lovely job taking care us.

curious as to how they will secure them to whatever foundation they use. I’m sure it will be complaint with current Regs
I believe part of the issue at FW is the possibility of tree fall during large storms. I don't recall the exact year but one brought down many of the trees especially in some of the cabin areas.

I believe part of the issue at FW is the possibility of tree fall during large storms. I don't recall the exact year but one brought down many of the trees especially in some of the cabin areas.
For that reason, I suspect the trees are well-maintained. Or at least the ones within falling distance of the sites.

Generally speaking the most inexpensive buildings to maintain are the tallest ones a basic ladder truck can just reach the top of. So like an SSR or an OKW. A roof is just 1 element of a building. BLT is window heavy and must cost a fortune to cool. It’s a tower so everything structural is much heavier duty. Fire suppression is totally different. Something as basic as window washing or gutter cleaning is going to be significantly more expensive. And if you look at the dues breakouts, maintenance is meaningfully higher per vacation home at BLT than at SSR. (Now there are lots of things: landscaping, transportation, etc, that are cheaper at BLT because it’s a tower, but the building isn’t one of them).

I’m not familiar at all with the maintenance cost of modular buildings, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think it would be relatively low. 90% of maintenance would be done by a person by themselves on a golf cart.

I really wonder what the points value will be on these. I imagine they should be cheaper considering the amenities at FW don't really compare to the amenities at deluxe DVC resorts. Unless they are planning a complete refurb of FW?

I’m super pumped about this development.

It would be great if they would let me put my 2 man tent up next to the cabin, although that would never be allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter