Frustrated with rides going down 8/14

TCups4Me

DIS Article Contributor
Arrived yesterday and staying at GCH. Today was our first day at DL. Indiana Jones was down when we arrived at 9am. Rode HM and PoC with short standby waits. Got in line for jungle cruise after checking Indy again. After 10 minutes in line for JC, they announced it was now out of service. Tried to mobile order somewhere to sit and ease our frustration, but it was an hour wait so we stood in line at Jolly Holiday, which was good. While eating at 11am, we looked at wait times and the following were all down:
Jungle cruise
Indy
RotR
Space mountain
Monsters (refurb starts tomorrow)
Matterhorn (scheduled closure)

Most of those are major attractions and it was very frustrating to see them all down at the same time. Thankfully we are at GCH all week and have 5 day tickets. We left and decided we’ll go back tonight. Fingers crossed we have better luck.

This is our first time to DL and we think it is absolutely adorable and charming and the cast members have been great. It’s just tough to know we spent a small fortune and have to put in so much effort to get what we paid for.

Oh, that is so frustrating! We had multiple closures when we were there in June. It can really effect your day, not to mention your mood. I hope it gets better for you tonight and as the week goes on.

I'm glad you're having a good time despite the closures.

We were there for 5 days this past week. It seemed like a lot of the rides had at least some down time almost every day or two. With 5 days it wasn’t a huge issue for us, but I could see how frustrating it would be if we were only there for a day or two.

I honestly belive that Disney should be issuing partial refunds when things go down like that. You are paying to much to not only have the ride go down, but the crowds surge to the other rides in response.

Last edited:

I honestly belive that Disney should be issuing partial refunds when things go down like that. You are paying to much to not only have the ride go down, but the crowds surge to the other rides in response.
We are here today too. We have Genie+ and have been impacted by two ride closures. But...I feel we were compensated as we could use the Genie+ on almost any ride when our Genie+ selection had a closure, even those that were not designated Genie+. So we used our passes on rides where normally our only option is standby. It felt like a bonus to be impacted by a ride closure. :)
We usually go to WDW and this is our first time in DL. It is amazing!

Last edited:
I went on one Saturday in August and the ride gods weren't on my side.
In line for matterhorn in the morning and it broke down 3 times. Each wait was around 30min, so not enough to get a free LL.
Tried 3 times to get one.

Pretty much almost every ride we stood in line for, it broke down. Did get a free LL Experience Pass since Indy broke down for over an hour. Was in line and booked a LL for it just in case and it happened. Still though, it messed up my LL reservations as it backed up when I could book the next one.
Icing on the cake was when RSR broke down 3-4 times while we were in line. This backed up the LL+ reservations so our 1 hour wait turned to 3 hours.

Left the park unsatisfied.
However, the next day, the ride gods were on my side. Everything fell into place. Indy Experience Pass right from the start at park opening.. huzzah. Rise ran smoothly... was able to do morning big ride circuit at DL. LL reservations fell neatly into place one after the other with no rides breaking down to cause a hiccup.

Depends on luck I guess.... had I reversed the rope drop and did Rise first on Saturday, then I wouldn't have hit the matterhorn/indy slog which messed up the rest of the day.

I don’t even want to try going on Rise again after all the issues we have had with it. Last time, it went down multiple times in one day when we were in line to board. I went on it once on a different trip and it was “fine,” but not worth all of the issues they seem to have with it. We seem to have bad luck with Peter Pan also, but that one is a classic and at least the line disperses to multiple different rides

I don’t even want to try going on Rise again after all the issues we have had with it. Last time, it went down multiple times in one day when we were in line to board. I went on it once on a different trip and it was “fine,” but not worth all of the issues they seem to have with it. We seem to have bad luck with Peter Pan also, but that one is a classic and at least the line disperses to multiple different rides

I don't think I've seen Peter Pan open on time at all post-COVID. It may be different now with Early Entry but it's definitely one that causes a lot of problems. Rise is definitely a problematic one but it was also like that pre-COVID. I've had the interrogation room not work and Kylo Ren also often goes into B mode when the animatronic isn't working. The past few times I rode it, the cannons didn't seem to be moving.

At DCA today. WS was down at opening. RSR went but back up. IC is now down. Yesterday at DL, ROR was up and down (mostly down) all day.

Yesterday was not a good day for DCA. We arrived and tried to get onto Webslingers -- down. Tried to get onto RSR -- down. IC went down right after we finished. RSR went down right after we raced (but were still in the vehicle waiting to get to exit). Luigis -- down.

Arrived yesterday and staying at GCH. Today was our first day at DL. Indiana Jones was down when we arrived at 9am. Rode HM and PoC with short standby waits. Got in line for jungle cruise after checking Indy again. After 10 minutes in line for JC, they announced it was now out of service. Tried to mobile order somewhere to sit and ease our frustration, but it was an hour wait so we stood in line at Jolly Holiday, which was good. While eating at 11am, we looked at wait times and the following were all down:
Jungle cruise
Indy
RotR
Space mountain
Monsters (refurb starts tomorrow)
Matterhorn (scheduled closure)

Most of those are major attractions and it was very frustrating to see them all down at the same time. Thankfully we are at GCH all week and have 5 day tickets. We left and decided we’ll go back tonight. Fingers crossed we have better luck.

This is our first time to DL and we think it is absolutely adorable and charming and the cast members have been great. It’s just tough to know we spent a small fortune and have to put in so much effort to get what we paid for.
I don;t understand all of these breakdowns this summer. Are they short-handed on maintenance staff? No way would I head to Dis right now.

I've signed onto the DL Stats twitter feed and am quite surprised by the number and length of down times at both parks. Not giving enough time overnight for preventative maintenance and probably not enough staff. May have lost key people to other employment during shutdowns and low volume operations (not unlike airports). We are going next week and keeping expectations low, being ready to be flexible (and maybe getting lucky with LL passes?)

I've signed onto the DL Stats twitter feed and am quite surprised by the number and length of down times at both parks. Not giving enough time overnight for preventative maintenance and probably not enough staff. May have lost key people to other employment during shutdowns and low volume operations (not unlike airports). We are going next week and keeping expectations low, being ready to be flexible (and maybe getting lucky with LL passes?)
I’m here now and yesterday went to DCA and DL. Rides went down but easy to pivot, and we ended up with two sets of MEP I couldn’t even use because we ran out of time! Used single rider on RSR, WS, and SR. Went on probably 20 rides with a three hour hotel break and also saw F!, fireworks and parade. Can’t complain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter