Frustrated and Need a Hug

I understand what you are saying. My question is, where is it announced that is how it now works? Has this happened to anyone?
The Disney Rumors and News board has a thread about Disney cancelling FP if room is cancelled being confirmed. Start after page 30.

Last edited:
I like what I’m seeing on 60 day availability for SDD and FOP. It’s the first time in a long time there hasn’t been at least a 3-4 lead on these for me. I’m hoping this trend lasts until my window opens. If it does, FP’s should be easy for me. I don’t know if the new policies have caused this or not, but if it has, I’m glad they did it. I do think they should have at least exempted current on site split stays. I know how it feels to think you have your ducks in a row, the Disney comes in and knocks them all of the table.

I'm so sorry that the rug got pulled out from you, but, take heart that the fact you are on this board means that you are ahead of the curve. Even if you can't get SDD and FOP, you will still get tons of other great ones AND you will know the strategy for RD or late night getting in line. It sucks when the rules change mid-stream, but you are a planner and will adapt and come out of this on top. You will still end up doing way more than anyone who will just walk into the park without any idea of what to do.

Everyone will still have a great time and if anyone complains, tell them to spend 30 minutes on these boards and they will come back with an idea of how complex this stuff is. I've never planned Disney for anyone, but I just want to hit something when we have a trip and someone says, "oh, but why aren't we doing x, y,z?" Well, it's because no one else did any research and I had to make choices. Don't like it, get involved.

As a side note, I've been to Asia many times. There are some amazing countries where you can stay in luxury hotels for less than the cost of Pop.

We booked our 3 night March spring break trip on Christmas Day. We made our DRs at that time and got everything we wantedncluding BOG. We made our FP selections for our 3 days on day 60 and also got everything we wanted including FoP. I think sometimes people overthink the planning and get caught up in the hype of these new “hot” rides and attractions. I am sure you will get everything you want. Don’t stress, sounds like you have a great plan.

The new FP booking rules do not apply to DVC/DVC split stays.

ETA: for DVC members on points reservations (so resort 1 on points, resort 2 on points, no cash resevation) it will be treated as 1 reservation same as above with booking window for all nights opening at 60 days.

OK, so I have a split stay in September, renting DVC points and doing a triple split stay. Boulder Ridge/Boardwalk Villas/AKL all with no days in between and I have a 21 day ticket. Am I reading this correctly that this new rule doesn't apply to me because I am doing points stays for all reservations - no cash?
This is extremely confusing.

I hate that you are frustrated, hopefully it all works out.

We do go at least once every year, and the key to happiness for us was to quit worrying so much. Get the FP's you can, and then go with the flow. We use the lines app, and it works great.
Come early, stay late. We don't retreat during the day and return, we just take a day off with no parks at all. The only terrible experience we have had was the sold out HW party, but disney made it right for us, which means so much.

OK, so I have a split stay in September, renting DVC points and doing a triple split stay. Boulder Ridge/Boardwalk Villas/AKL all with no days in between and I have a 21 day ticket. Am I reading this correctly that this new rule doesn't apply to me because I am doing points stays for all reservations - no cash?
This is extremely confusing.

How many days is your onsite stay? As in, will you be in a resort on property for all 21 days? I've been seeing that 14 days is the maximum (I'm not sure if that is extended for DVC members) regardless of the length of the resort stay. That is also what it says on Disney's site ("please note that if your stay is longer than 2 weeks, then FastPass+ selections can be made for up to 14 days) https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/fast-pass-plus/number-selections/
If you have ticket days beyond that you would have a rolling 60 day window for those remaining days.

I am not sure about rented points but it appears that split stays booked on points (all points, no cash reservation portion) with no days in between stays will have one booking window that opens at 60 days out and can book for the length of the entire onsite stay up to 14 days.

A few weeks ago a friend and co- worker asked for my help in planning her family's 1st Disney trip for her, her DH, and her 2 girls ages 8 and 3. As I started in explaining ADR's and 180 days out, and FP+ 60 days out, and Free Dining and split stays and BLAH BLAH BLAH...... I saw her eyes get huge, her head nearly started spinning and she retreated. No Disney. She was so overwhelmed by the sheer amount of bells and whistles and hoops and obstacle courses to jump through.

Disney planning is not for the faint of heart. It is frustrating, but can be exhilarating for those of us who love to plan! But when one glitch happens it can sidetrack us.
Absolutely no offense meant to you but TBH sometimes less is more when talking with people about what you can do at Disney. You can do a lot of things and it could take you a lifetime to experience it all.

This next comment isn't necessarily aimed at you at all so please don't take it to heart--there's a fine line between providing options to people and making them feel like the options are actually what they have to do in order to experience Disney in the best way.

OP this whole FP fiasco has def. thrown so many people for a loop. I may not have the same opinion on the level of planning Disney should entail but boy do I feel for those involved in this absolute wrench thrown in!

While planning can be fun and I've always been a planner, I'm more into loose plans now and using refresh and/or ah or emh we haven't had a trip we haven't found day of fps for anything. Some are more work than others but its doable

How many days is your onsite stay? As in, will you be in a resort on property for all 21 days? I've been seeing that 14 days is the maximum (I'm not sure if that is extended for DVC members) regardless of the length of the resort stay. That is also what it says on Disney's site ("please note that if your stay is longer than 2 weeks, then FastPass+ selections can be made for up to 14 days) https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/fast-pass-plus/number-selections/
If you have ticket days beyond that you would have a rolling 60 day window for those remaining days.

I am not sure about rented points but it appears that split stays booked on points (all points, no cash reservation portion) with no days in between stays will have one booking window that opens at 60 days out and can book for the length of the entire onsite stay up to 14 days.

We are staying for 20 nights, last time we did 14 days and then did the rest each day until all days were allocated. Hopefully this is the same for DVC.
Disney doesn't usually know if you're renting points or not as we are simply listed as a "guest" of the DVC owner.

I understand and I would be stressed out, too, but we are going April 16-21 (Easter week) and I got FoP at 60+2 and 60+4 for 6 people. I didn't try for SDD until 60+5 but I had no problems with a party of 4 (2 are leaving early so it's not that we couldn't get it for them).

I would see if someone can check with DVC member services for you. Your first 14 days should open continuously. Because of the 14 day limit, the end of your stay may not. I know for DVC reservations it does not have to be consecutive days at one resort but I’m not sure that changes the 14 day limit.

The Disney Rumors and News board has a thread about Disney cancelling FP if room is cancelled being confirmed. Start after page 30.
I saw that, but I am not planning to cancel and no where can I find that if you are staying at both, you cant book. I guess I will find out next week. :confused3

I need someone to tell me that it's gonna be okay.

I'm the family planner, and no one else in the family seems to get the insanity that is planning a WDW trip.

I have played by Disney's silly rules. I booked the hotels 11 months in advance based on the best info I had at the time. I booked ADRs 180+ days in advance. I've purchased a few upcharges. I was gearing up to book FP+ in a few weeks.

And then yesterday I learned that my split stay, which I had painstakingly researched, will no longer have a single FP+ booking window that opens at the start of the initial stay. Instead of being able to book at 60+8, I'm now the proud owner of two separate booking windows, each for 60+4. Bye, bye SDD and FOP.

When I made my split stay booking, I verified the single FP+ booking window through disboards, a Disney Moms' Panel blog, and a call to a CM. But apparently, according to the CM I talked to yesterday, they have fixed that "glitch."

I am kicking myself for thinking that a split stay was a good idea. I'm kicking myself for getting a 4+4 split stay instead of a 2+6 split stay.

But mostly I'm frustrated that Disney has pulled the rug out from under me. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time getting my plan in order for my FP booking window, and, now, I basically have to redo my entire touring plan because the most valuable days of the trip are no longer the last few days, but the last day and the day we change resorts. Had I know that I wouldn't get the single booking window, I never would have booked two resorts, as now the purpose of a long stay (albeit at 2 resorts) has been defeated.

I know some people go to Disney every year. We don't. We go every 3-5 years. But this experience hasn't been fun. It's been stressful and exhausting and has left me feeling somehow cheated (I know, I know, the fine print says that they can change whatever they want whenever they want). The next time I get the Disney itch, I'll be looking to Asia.

Thanks for tolerating the venting. If anyone has advice for dealing with short-ish FP+ booking windows, I'm all ears.

First off....sorry you're having such a hard time.

Disney did not however pull the rug out from under you. It was not YOU they were targeting. Unfortunately, there were those out there that tried to "game" the system and Disney said enough was enough. Those of you doing what you're supposed to are suffering the consequence of that action. I don't see why you have to rebook anything at all right now. I've read....just recently of those who have gotten SDD and FoP at 60+3 and/or 60+4. Like you, I've had things happen on a vacation and I am just turned upside down. I typically have to step away....for a few days and then return when my head clears. Stop kicking yourself for making a decision based off of something you had no clue was going to happen. This is NOT the end of your trip....it IS going to turn out better than you thought. I only go to Disney every 4 years and I will continue to do so....period. Nothing anyone says or does will change that for me. It's the one special time financially, I go all out for my son and myself. (Hubby is not a big Disney fan :rolleyes1) Disney would have to really do something above and beyond crazy and stupid to make me take my money elsewhere....but that's just me. :-)

Just try and remember, you're letting not getting the FPs you want determine how good or bad your trip is going to be. For me...I always have a back up plan. Rope drop is my back up. I do that anyway, but now with that in my head, I think, if I don't get 7DMT at the time I would like, I would just rope drop that one and go on about my day after that. :D No matter what....I do hope those FPs work out in your favor in the end. GOOD LUCK! :hug:

what and where are these new rules? I have a split stay in May

ETA ok I saw that link and I didn't get from that if staying on property you cant book for the whole week. What am I missing?

You can now only book at day 60 for each reservation to the end of the reservation. For example, if you are staying at the GF for the first three days and then the BC for the last 4 days of a 7 day continuous trip. You can now book for the GF at 60 days prior to arrival and until the check out day (60+3). You have to wait until 60 days from your BC arrival to book FP+ for the last 4 days (up to 60 + 4). Previously you were able to book 60 +. 7 from the date that was 60 days prior to the start of your first reservation.

This means that it will be more difficult to get the hard to get FP+ as you lose the advantage of a longer stay.

If you are going during a less busy time, it probably won't be a huge problem. Also, if your party size is small, you may have less of a problem. If you are able to change to a single stay, you can prevent this by changing to a single resort stay. If you have rented points for DVC and can't change, it might be OK anyway. I'm not sure if DVC has the same rules or not, or how they may work.

Actually, people are still not sure how this will all work when the dust settles, I think. FP+ is acting very strangely, so Disney IT is still working on something. With their usual finesse, of course.

If you stay in one resort with only one reservation for the entire visit, you can book FP+ for the entire 7 days as of 60 days prior to arrival.

Last edited:
I got stressed reading your post OP!

We are headed to disney in a couple of weeks, booked about a month ago.
We have not made any fastpasses or dining reservations yet. Our only plan is to be at the park at opening and see how it goes from there..

Hope you are able to enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter