• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fruitcake

Cantw8

Skating on thin ice and the sun's coming up
I think this stuff gets a bad rap...I like it:) Do you?

I don't like store bought but I LOVED my Grandma's (her mother's). Everyone usually came to my house for Christmas and one year, my Uncle was flying out at midnight on New Years. As you can imagine, we were presented with all sorts of issues and he barely had time to run to catch his flight. He had to leave it behind. I mailed it to him and it cost me seventeen bucks because it was so heavy. :lmao: I tried to pin her down for the recipe for years but she'd just say, "oh it's just an old recipe." When she passed my sister and I turned the place upside down trying to find it but never did. She must have kept it in her head.

I like mine but store bought tends to be too sticky and gross. And no, it's not aged ... unless you soak it in rum but I've never tried that. Mine just has brandy in the batter.

I am not a fan of fruitcake, but my DH is. My mother used to make a fruitcake that she'd start in September. After the cake was baked, she saturated it in rum and stored it away in the cedar chest for several weeks. :crazy2: DH swears it was the best fruitcake ever. Personally, I thought it tasted like turpentine.

I love good fruit cake. My grandma had a friend who would give her one every Christmas. I might have ate half at every Christmas party.

:rotfl: I'm starting to think that in addition to cockroaches and Twinkies, fruitcake will also survive a nuclear holocaust :lmao:

My grandma used to make the best fruitcake. I like white fruitcake. Dark fruitcake is ok but just not as good.

:rotfl: I'm starting to think that in addition to cockroaches and Twinkies, fruitcake will also survive a nuclear holocaust :lmao:

There is really only one fruitcake. It just gets passed around the world from family to family. In fact, there are hieroglyphics in an ancient Egyptian tomb that shows the priests trying to put it in a pharaoh's sarcophagus, but the mummy is beating them off with a staff and trying to slam the lid shut.

I inherited the family fruitcake-making from my grandmother and I made them for years. It cost a fortune and took three solid days to make about ten of them each year in October. Then, they have to be "tended" until Christmas. After I got re-gifted one in 1999 that I swear I made in 1980, I threw in the towel. If anyone wants a fruitcake, they can go buy one. I love fruitcake, but I want someone to check me into the loony-bin if I ever show any indication that I want to make one again.

I like fruitcake! Or at least the fruitcake that my family used to make. We'd make it the day after Thanksgiving and eat it for dessert near Christmas. I always knew that Christmas was close when we'd break out the fruitcake!

The only fruitcake I will eat is from the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX. They sell to people all over.

The only fruitcake I will eat is from the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX. They sell to people all over.

Same here. I've tried many other kinds, homemade and store bought, and nothing's been anywhere near as good as a Corsicana fruitcake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter