Frozen Ride at Epcot

I found another right before boarding Splash.
I need to still find another one of Maelstrom

P5132692.JPG

I'd say more like Pirates, but with higher sides.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, Splash is higher than I remember. I just remember the last time I rode it I wasn't able to make it from the side of the boat back up into my chair and the same was true with Maelstrom. I ended up dragging myself to the floor and then and then finding a spot I could get back up into the chair. They were too low and I wasn't in my 20s/30s anymore. :)

I am very interested in this ride! My 2nd DD LOVES Frozen! She uses a wheelchair fulltime and is not able to stand or walk. If I am understanding correctly.... We must transfer her? POTC is a very low ride, we use to transfer her but now its too difficult.

Hi weswife! I'm sorry the POTC ride has become non-ridable for you guys at this point. But hopefully the continuing developments in the parks (with new options!) will still make for very enjoyable visits! I know I'm now just repeating what has already been said, but it sounds like, if only due to the drop in the Frozen ride, it would necessitate a transfer for safety purposes. Hopefully the boats are not as low as POTC! That would be awesome. Good luck with the Frozen ride -- I hope your daughter can experience it, especially since she enjoys the movie so much!! Have a great trip! :flower3:

Hi weswife! I'm sorry the POTC ride has become non-ridable for you guys at this point. But hopefully the continuing developments in the parks (with new options!) will still make for very enjoyable visits! I know I'm now just repeating what has already been said, but it sounds like, if only due to the drop in the Frozen ride, it would necessitate a transfer for safety purposes. Hopefully the boats are not as low as POTC! That would be awesome. Good luck with the Frozen ride -- I hope your daughter can experience it, especially since she enjoys the movie so much!! Have a great trip! :flower3:

Thanks so much for the reply! I feel a bit disappointed but we will see what we can do! DD 2 LOVES Frozen so much! She has a Frozen bedroom and just about anything available Frozen! We are looking forward to our trip! :)

I am very interested in this ride! My 2nd DD LOVES Frozen! She uses a wheelchair fulltime and is not able to stand or walk. If I am understanding correctly.... We must transfer her? POTC is a very low ride, we use to transfer her but now its too difficult.
It's pretty certain that the Frozen ride will be 'must transfer' - it is now listed that way on the Disney website and the descriptions, with information about the drop really are not sounding like they could make a safe wheelchair accessible car.

What is not known is whether or not there will be some kind of ADA car with a wider opening. My guess is that there will be - after all, they do have an ADA car for Expedition Everest and the 7 Dwarfs Mine Car ride.
An ADA car would make it doable for a lot of people because instead of an 'over the side' transfer, it would be more of a straight in transfer.
I know I have some pictures somewhere of the Maelstrom ride cars. I remember them not being as low as the Pirates of the Caribbean boats. The biggest issue I remember was the high lift to get over the side of the boat.

I'll keep looking for pictures - I know I have some somewhere on my computer.

Thanks so much! I would be interested in seeing a pic to try and access the situation! Her Dad is great at lifting her but I worry about them slipping.

Just wondering if the boats are going to be the old boats that would be recycled to use or are they going to make the ride/boats more handicapped accessible like It's a Small World.

1) They are the "old" boats and boat design.
2) They went into-the-water last night (3/11/2016).
3) Ride operational testing begins tonight.
4) It will be interesting.
. . . some ride CM's think the boats can't navigate one of the river turns
. . . the Imagineers think they will
. . . the C's say even if the boats make it, they will begin to bunch-up and create jams
. . . we will see

. . . the C's say even if the boats make it, they will begin to bunch-up and create jams
. . . we will see

Thanks for the information ..... I will be following along :)

. . . we will see
That sounds like they changed or added to the ride path - the information that was available sounded like they were using the existing ride path

It will open too late for us to see this trip, so I will be interested to see how it works out.

That sounds like they changed or added to the ride path - the information that was available sounded like they were using the existing ride path

It will open too late for us to see this trip, so I will be interested to see how it works out.

I heard that they added a bit at the end, took out the theater? Maybe there's a 'kink' in there?

I heard that they added a bit at the end, took out the theater? Maybe there's a 'kink' in there?
What I have read was that the theater was possibly going to be changed into the entry queue. the old entry queue was not adequate when there was much of a wait anyway - it spill out onto the 'street' and interfered with the check in line for Akershus quite often anyway, so I can see why they would want to change it.

The previous unload 'village' area was quite large, so adding the old theater area to that would give them a lot of room to play with.
If there is not a wheelchair accessible ride car (which it is pretty sure not to have), they need to either load and unload in the same general area (similar to the Little Mermaid at MK) or they have to be able to bring all the mobility devices from the load area to the unload area.
There actually were very small backstage hallways between the different parts of the 'old' ride - theater, load, unload

And there is your answer why several rides have at least one small drop

So I know this is a little off topic because it's not about transferring but is FEA scary? I booked a FP for it because my little girl loves frozen but now I'm worried it will be scary?? How bad is the drop? with it being any height I never really questioned it until I seen this.

did you do the old maelstrom ride if so it is the same track if not it really is not that bad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter