• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From ZERO to HERO - The October 2015 W.I.S.H. Challenge

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it or not yet, but happy wedding day to @ANforever1030 !!!! I hope everything goes just like you and your soon to be wife want it to, and that you have the BEST of times on your Disneymoon!!! Please feel free to come back and share pictures of you would like to!!

Congrats @DisPup75 on your new job!! It sounds like it is completely worth the crazy that comes with it, and that's all that matters!!

Just glanced thru the thread and the new job post jumped out at me, but I'll be back later to read more thoroughly. Enjoying our last park day at DHS and then maybe Disney springs tonight for some gift shopping. Home tomorrow!

QOTD - October 27
So instead, let's continue the October windup. What has been your favorite thing this month? What are you ready to leave far behind?

My favorite thing this month has been the weather getting chillier. I don't love the cold, but I really like fall. Comfy clothes, warm drinks, and pretty leaves :)

QOTD - October 28
Woohoo! It's Wednesday!!!! What is your woohoo?

My woohoo is that I got my job I applied for, hopefully leaving the one I dislike in the dust!

QOTD - October 29
Just a few more days until we roll over into Gaston's arm (was that an accidental double entendre? Oops). How have you been a healthy living hero and weight demon slayer this month?

I've increased my physical activity and decreased how much I've been eating. Which is probably the most intentional I've been with my weight control in over a year.

QOTD - October 30
In the meantime, I've thought of something else. A lot of have struggled this month. What are some of your favorite tips for getting back on the wagon after a stumble or crash? Even better, what are some things you do to stop a fall in its tracks or before it even starts?

Before it happens: WALK AWAY (at least for 15 minutes)! This lets you reconsider (and probably forget) whatever you were going to do that could have been a bad choice.

After it happens: Brush yourself off and try again. It's not the end of the world, and will not kill your goal. This does not mean you failed!

And finally...........................................................my final weight comes in at 274.6!!!!! Woohoo!!!!! That's 10.4 pounds down, which is 110.4% of my goal! :flower::flower1::jumping1:

Weigh in this morning and.....down 2.5 pounds! :worship::worship: That is 73% to goal. Not quite there but considering what a rough month it's been I'll take it.

Thank the weight loss gods that I saw a difference this week because I definitely felt a difference. Fingers crossed that I can keep the momentum going through the weekend.

5266739.jpg

Final Check In - October 31

Happy Halloween, Kids!!!! And happy end of the month!!!! I am SO PROUD of everyone here for sticking together and sticking with your goals. @JacknSally and I were so glad to be your muses this month and w hope you all feel like HEROS! Because you are!

If you haven't already, don't forget to post your final October stats!

And then head on over to November, where @courtneybeth has an amazing challenge awaiting us. No one loses weight like Gaston!

Taking my 146.8 from last week as my starting point, I managed to exceed my goal for this week!

I'm at 145.6 this morning, which is awesome!

I'll be trying to think about my goals for November - I want to challenge myself, but also be realistic about the fact that we'll be traveling for Thanksgiving and I am planning to eat plenty of delicious food and enjoy the holiday with my family.

Thanks to everyone for running the challenge, and I'm super excited to join in November's from the beginning!

First of all.... NO WORRIES about results or anything here! We are doing fine! And we all TOTALLY understand when real life gets in the way!

Back on track...... well.... I usually try to go to an EXTREME for a few days..... like a weekend juice fast.... but that isn't for everyone. So for a basic RESET..... I go BACK TO WEEK ONE! I re-read my journals/tracker for week one, see what I was eating, how I was exercising..... I weigh/measure EVERY SINGLE NIBBLE. I try to stick with basics that are easy to portion out and easy to count.... no complicated casseroles or recipes to try and figure out. Grilled lean meats, egg whites, salads, steamed greens and a pre-portions treats if I need something sweet (WW 2 pt bars and the like).

If that doesn't work for you..... try PREPLANNING every meal for a week....figure out what you will eat (foods and portion sizes) for BREAKFAST, LUNCH, and DINNER (plus snacks) for an entire week (or just 5 days if 7 seems too crazy).... PRE- track it and then STICK WITH IT! Give your tracker a smiley for every meal that you eat that is just as planned! Allow a wee bit of wiggle room for the possibility of being extra hungry one day (keep an optional snack in the wings). In some ways it is VERY FREEING to not have to make food decisions multiple times a day!

GREAT QUESTION!.................P

I like all three of these strategies but I really like going back to week one! That honeymoon week before everything goes haywire is some great motivation!

Sorry you had a bad night but way to get right back into it! I was the same way before, where I'd get disappointed and give up and gain it all back. So it's important to remember that we all have bad days.

Congrats on the new position! I'd say that if you're super excited even with the pay cut that it was the right move for you.

If I sense that I'm about to stumble I try to not eat anything and distract myself so that I can think "do I really want to ruin my progress over X?" It definitely doesn't always work and there are times that when I start craving junk food that I can't stop myself. But if I can, I do.

I've definitely had my fair share of getting back on the wagon. I typically get rid of whatever is making my stumble. So if it's a thing of cookies that are too tempting or a pint of ice cream, I toss it. Even if it's mostly full. I know that if the temptation is there I won't be able to right the ship. So it's safer if I just don't have it at all.

Thanks!

I love that you can just toss it! That is a skill I need to work on. :)

Wow! Congratulations! Working in a field that you love with awesome people is priceless. You can't monetarily measure happiness and it seems your choice is really exciting for you! And...with your new challenges in learning new things...you will have increased energy to boot! So, so happy for you!

And you so much! I'm still excited!!

Okay....overall report. I gained seven pounds last month on my cruise. I'm down five pounds, so I'm still in negative 2 pounds. My goal was to lose all seven. So I completed 71% of my October goal. I haven't been tracking this month, so got to do that for November. I have two main safeguards when the "binge" strikes. 1. To always have sugar free jello and sugar free snack puddings in my fridge. I can always eat more than one, if I'm really desperate. 2. Sitting with the hunger, until it passes. Letting my body feel the hunger by just observing it, seeing it for what it really is...weakens it....and then....just let it go! Sometimes, I'm not focused enough on really observing it. That's when it doesn't work....and the food in my kitchen grows larger and larger in my mind...until I jump up and get the food item I'm imagining. So....I have to practice the "observing and sitting with it" more deeply.

Great job on cruise recovery!! Observing the hunger is really interesting. Are you starting to recognize your body's signals for real hunger versus just wanting to snack or have a treat?

You know....when I think more about it....it's the night time when the "monsters" come out. I'm great during the day, but after dinner....I have to look under my bed!

Me too!

Hmmm.... I don't really have a tip for getting back on the wagon being that usually when I fall off, I just stay off. But this time I'm serious. And I think this group has a lot to do with it. I had two days that weren't so good this week, but I loved coming on here and reading the encouragement and how other people are handling their journey. So... I guess that's a tip in and of itself. Take the time to realize I'm not perfect and reading about others who have had so much success despite their stumbles-- it's such an inspiration!

As for squashing the temptation before it starts... that's an everyday battle right there. I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas, and it has been my worst enemy in trying to loose weight!

Someone else mentioned weighing (ha ha) whether or not that item is worth it. For me, (and this just happened yesterday actually with the candy in the office!) I try to remember that one little whatever (Snickers) was what got me into this situation over time and that that one little thing is not worth it in the long run. Sometimes, like yesterday, the sweets win.... but other times I have been perfectly successful in not eating it and not even missing it.

Another one of my tips is to go ahead and plan for the sweet ahead of time. If I know I have a sweet planned at the end of the night, I can easily say no during the day. Or if I have a sweet coffee in the morning, I don't crave the sweets through the day or at night. Since this is a lifestyle change, I am trying to figure out ways to keep things I love, but in smaller portions or in healthy alternative. So either way, it's giving into my sweet addiction but in planned moderation.

Gah! I wish I had that will power-- I usually just eat it to get rid of it! Although, one thing I'm really good at is not buying ANYTHING sweet and then going bonkers at home wanting something, then breaking down and baking something that I have the ingredients for-- which is typically worse than if I had just had something small or pre-portioned or sugar free. Not a good plan. So like I said before, I have to plan this stuff out in moderation!

I think figuring out how to get back on the wagon is the most important part of this. We are all going to have planned indulgences and unplanned stumbles or even crashes. We will succeed in the end by not letting those days become all of the days!

After reading all these posts day after day....does anyone doubt that learning to eat correctly is one of the biggest challenges we each have to face...day, after day, after day? It is painful! Learning to live with the pain....and yes it is real pain....of not being able to eat something you really, really want...is sometimes just like torture! But I have to give each and every one of you the greatest respect and admiration for continuing to "battle for your health!" You are all an inspiration to me....and it brings tears to my eyes when I hear your struggles and your triumphs! Most people in my life do not understand and will never be able to imagine what it's like to deal with this "disease." And I do believe it is no different that alcoholism, in this regard. The dynamics are the same. Most people don't understand this either. My sister....who has always been thin...just thinks...."stop eating so much." People who have never had to deal with this struggle, just think it's so easy! Do any of you know people who try and hide what they've eaten, so the blamers won't see the evidence? I do. There is guilt and shame attached to the binging and friends, including family can often be critical and sometimes "mean." With all this being said...we are all here for one another. We DO understand how difficult this is! And I will keep each and every one of you company on this journey.....and together...."we can beat this." Happy End of the Month!

Happy end of the month!

I totally agree that food can be addictive. And it is probably the hardest addiction to break because total abstinence isn't even a choice. One thing I've been trying to stick with is that eating needs to be public. If I really, really want something, I can have it (preferably budgeted within my points/calories) as long as I am willing to openly eat it. No eating in secret or hiding wrappers or tossing fast food bags in a trash can two blocks away. I'm lucky in that I've don't think I've ever had anyone blame/shame me for overeating with the big exception of myself. Yet I've still eaten crap in secret. I'd I want French fries, there is no reason that I can't eat them in the light

@ThistleMae - I look at it as we're addicts to food. And we have to reprogram ourselves and think every day and every hour about what we are putting into our bodies. It's going to be a never-ending temptation and a slippery slope if we don't maintain awareness.

I love that everyone here is so supportive of everyone else. A month has come to a close and our new month is ready to begin.

Thumbs up!

Not the most amazing month. Its been pretty brutal to be honest. I'll end this challenge at 39% of goal. I'm disappointed but will continue on. I haven't been able to even participate much over the past week with my computer debacle. I won't join in this challenge in November since I'll be at WDW and I KNOW I will gain there. However I may possible jump back in in December.

39% is progress! Congratulations!!! I wish you a wonderful trip to WDW and I hope you check in with us in December (if not when you return in November). Vacation gains aren't inherently bad; let us help you make it disappear!

Just keep going! I'll be in Disney for November as well. My goal is not to gain any weight, although I'll lose some before I go and hope to just level off...because I will gain some weight while there...that goes without saying. Please come back in December! We can struggle together!

Absolutely!

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it or not yet, but happy wedding day to @ANforever1030 !!!! I hope everything goes just like you and your soon to be wife want it to, and that you have the BEST of times on your Disneymoon!!! Please feel free to come back and share pictures of you would like to!!

Congrats @DisPup75 on your new job!! It sounds like it is completely worth the crazy that comes with it, and that's all that matters!!

Just glanced thru the thread and the new job post jumped out at me, but I'll be back later to read more thoroughly. Enjoying our last park day at DHS and then maybe Disney springs tonight for some gift shopping. Home tomorrow!

Congratulations to @ANforever1030 !

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to the change!!

The honeymoon sounds like it was amazing; have a super safe drive home!! I'm sure the pup is looking forward to a snuggle with her mama.

My favorite thing this month has been the weather getting chillier. I don't love the cold, but I really like fall. Comfy clothes, warm drinks, and pretty leaves :)

My woohoo is that I got my job I applied for, hopefully leaving the one I dislike in the dust!

I've increased my physical activity and decreased how much I've been eating. Which is probably the most intentional I've been with my weight control in over a year.

Before it happens: WALK AWAY (at least for 15 minutes)! This lets you reconsider (and probably forget) whatever you were going to do that could have been a bad choice.

After it happens: Brush yourself off and try again. It's not the end of the world, and will not kill your goal. This does not mean you failed!

And finally...........................................................my final weight comes in at 274.6!!!!! Woohoo!!!!! That's 10.4 pounds down, which is 110.4% of my goal! :flower::flower1::jumping1:

Congratulations on the job and the AMAZING slaying of the goal!!!

Weigh in this morning and.....down 2.5 pounds! :worship::worship: That is 73% to goal. Not quite there but considering what a rough month it's been I'll take it.

Thank the weight loss gods that I saw a difference this week because I definitely felt a difference. Fingers crossed that I can keep the momentum going through the weekend.

Woohoo! Great job this month!

5266739.jpg

Happy Halloween, Kids!!!! And happy end of the month!!!! I am SO PROUD of everyone here for sticking together and sticking with your goals. @JacknSally and I were so glad to be your muses this month and w hope you all feel like HEROS! Because you are!

And then head on over to November, where @courtneybeth has an amazing challenge awaiting us. No one loses weight like Gaston!

I finished at 200.4 this morning, safely in overweight BMI but a glass of water over Onederland. I believe that puts me at 70% of goal. Not bad!

Taking my 146.8 from last week as my starting point, I managed to exceed my goal for this week!

I'm at 145.6 this morning, which is awesome!

I'll be trying to think about my goals for November - I want to challenge myself, but also be realistic about the fact that we'll be traveling for Thanksgiving and I am planning to eat plenty of delicious food and enjoy the holiday with my family.

Thanks to everyone for running the challenge, and I'm super excited to join in November's from the beginning!

Woohoo! Great job!

Down 1.1 for the week and 4.4/5for the month, so 88% .
Thank you, DisPup75 and JacknSally for hosting! See you all over in the Nov challenge.

88% is awesome! Woohoo!!!

5266739.jpg

Super excited over here -- weighed in today at 159.5! YES. :cool1:

Weigh-in Results: FINAL

Pounds Lost: 8.5 of 5
Goal Progress: 170%

:jumping1:

Hey all! Last day of October and I did NOT have time to post! So sorry!

That being said, I had a loss of a bit over a pound this week, but unfortunately that puts me pretty much even with where I started the month (due to the vacation gain of 2 lbs) and since my overall goal for the month was a net loss of 1 lb..... I did NOT make my goal. But I am truly happy to end the month where I started it, considering how much vacation weight I COULD have gained! Onward and DOWNWARD for November! In the home stretch for 2015!! Wow! I promise I'll have more time tomorrow to chat! Gotta serve dinner and answer the door for the trick-or-treaters right now!....................P

Hey all! Just a reminder that you should have set your clocks back last night! I think I might have forgotten if I hadn't been talking to my Mom about it yesterday! And this is it.... DAY #1 of the November challenge! Be sure you grab a moving buddy by the hand and make your way over! I've got my seat reserved.... do you????? See you there!...................P

Thanks to everyone for the wedding wishes! I'm sorry I haven't been around this month, but I haven't had computer access (or at least DIS access) for most of the month.

It was originally forecast to rain on Friday, but fortunately it held off and remained cloudy until about 3 pm and the sun broke through as we were taking pictures and the ceremony was beginning. It did snow up in the mountains the night before which made for beautiful views from the ceremony/reception location.

I will definitely be posting pictures when we get them and from the Disneymoon! I can't believe that it's less than two days away! :cool1:

l773396158.jpg

QOTD - October 28

Woohoo! It's Wednesday!!!! What is your woohoo?
I don't really have a woohoo besides the fact that I have straight A's on my report card.

200_s.gif

QOTD - October 29

Confession time - I still haven't seen Hercules so I have no idea if my photo clip of the day is remotely on point. Still, it seems accurate, and so like a true Disney hero, I'll forge ahead without worrying about whether I've got the facts right!

Just a few more days until we roll over into Gaston's arm (was that an accidental double entendre? Oops). How have you been a healthy living hero and weight demon slayer this month?

P.S. Please forgive typos and editing out of weird words. I'm trying to post on my phone and that never goes well.
I have rarely eaten junk food, kissed 5 pounds goodbye, and am pretty close to actually having my back handspring.
off_the_wagon.gif

QOTD - October 30

I had a GREAT discussion questioned planned for today. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was! I forgot to post our group results again this week, I forget my questions, I even forgot my lunch yesterday. Clearly I need several pieces of string tied around my finger! Tomorrow is the LAST DAY OF THE MONTH (yay!) so post those final results when you get a chance and I'll tally up how we did!

In the meantime, I've thought of something else. A lot of have struggled this month. What are some of your favorite tips for getting back on the wagon after a stumble or crash? Even better, what are some things you do to stop a fall in its tracks or before it even starts?
I just eat really clean and exercise a lot when I feel myself starting to binge.
5266739.jpg

I am at 195 pounds and I am at 100% of my goal.

Great job everyone! I will be back here on Tuesday to post final results (no laptop until then and it is too hard to change colors/finds on my phone or iPad).

Super excited over here -- weighed in today at 159.5! YES. :cool1:

Weigh-in Results: FINAL

Pounds Lost: 8.5 of 5
Goal Progress: 170%

:jumping1:

Outstanding!!!!! You are going to be invisible before too long!!!

Hey all! Last day of October and I did NOT have time to post! So sorry!

That being said, I had a loss of a bit over a pound this week, but unfortunately that puts me pretty much even with where I started the month (due to the vacation gain of 2 lbs) and since my overall goal for the month was a net loss of 1 lb..... I did NOT make my goal. But I am truly happy to end the month where I started it, considering how much vacation weight I COULD have gained! Onward and DOWNWARD for November! In the home stretch for 2015!! Wow! I promise I'll have more time tomorrow to chat! Gotta serve dinner and answer the door for the trick-or-treaters right now!....................P

Great job - staying even during a vacation month is fabulous!

I don't really have a woohoo besides the fact that I have straight A's on my report card.

I have rarely eaten junk food, kissed 5 pounds goodbye, and am pretty close to actually having my back handspring.

I just eat really clean and exercise a lot when I feel myself starting to binge.

Woohoo!

Thanks to everyone for the wedding wishes! I'm sorry I haven't been around this month, but I haven't had computer access (or at least DIS access) for most of the month.

It was originally forecast to rain on Friday, but fortunately it held off and remained cloudy until about 3 pm and the sun broke through as we were taking pictures and the ceremony was beginning. It did snow up in the mountains the night before which made for beautiful views from the ceremony/reception location.

I will definitely be posting pictures when we get them and from the Disneymoon! I can't believe that it's less than two days away! :cool1:

Congratulations to you and your wife!! I hope you will have a fantastic Disneymoon and we are looking forward to seeing you back in the November challenge afterwards!

You are doing very well!! Congratulations!

Great job everyone! I will be back here on Tuesday to post final results (no laptop until then and it is too hard to change colors/finds on my phone or iPad).

Thank you so much for waiting until Tuesday. So I can report in with my final result. I am unfortunately up 100 gramms from last week (thanks to that time of the month), but I am still at 75% overall, so happy enough!

And a huge big thank you to you and @JacknSally for hosting such a fabulous October challenge!

Last edited:
My final weigh in was down 1 more pounds so a grand total of 3.5 out of my 4 making it 87.5%.. I'll take it since it was such a big celebration (read as it all revolves around food) month for me..

Congrats to both @JacknSally and @ANforever1030 .. we love pictures so be sure to post them on the November thread (@courtneybeth Thanks so much for hosting)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter