From Magical to Miserable and back again, and then again

Meldev

DIS Veteran
We (DH, Myself, DD11, DD9, DD7 and DS3) visited WDW 11/27-12/4.

Our first visit to Christmas time at WDW and we were so looking forward to it!

We stayed at the Hilton Bonnet Creek our first two nights. Absolutely loved the resort - Saturday all we did was enjoy the pools in the day! Saturday night we visited Disney Springs, way too crowded to be enjoyable, but checked out some artwork and then headed back on our charter bus to the Hilton (love it!)

Sunday we checked into CSR. I was THRILLED to not only get my room requests, but our rooms were also 'upgraded' to water views! Didn't even request to be near transportation, but we were right next to our bus stop, right next to feature pool. Quick walk to quiet pool and laundry. The resort is beautiful and peaceful and just simply wonderful. CMs were terrific, every single one of them!

Sunday we visited AK - crowds were just as predicted on TP. Had a great time, weather was warm, but lovely. Then we ate at Boma at AKL....loved catching as many resorts as we could to see the holiday decor. Boma was enjoyable, lots of different foods to try, and we have a good time doing that. The picky eaters found enough to be satisfied with as well. I will say it's a little noisy, but that wouldn't deter me from going back. I'd maybe try somewhere else first since we weren't staying at AKL and that can be out of the way, but overall enjoyed the meal! Zebra domes are to die for!

Monday off to my FAVORITE park, HS!! Had a great time, a little rain came through, but not enough to dampen any fun. Rode Star Tours, and enjoyed the new scene, and had such a great time, fellow riders and I all clapped at the end of our ride! Love the excitement. I was sad the Launch Bay wasn't having a soft opening that day, but it was all good as I planned to return before we departed on Friday.
Minnie's Holiday and Dine was fun!! Kids loved the characters dressed up (wish they would have signed and not handed out pre-signed cards). The buffet choices were very good 'american' food. Personally love the veggie soup! Holiday desserts were cute too! We ended the night with a super crowded stroll through the Osborne Lights, which was something to see! That is until my DD7 said she HAD to use the restroom - we had to bail out of the lights a little early. Then it was onto Fantasmic! Our first time (last year we tried, but it got rained out!) had wonderful seats (as part of dinner package) and really enjoyed the show! Park was nearly closing then, so we split up, girls went with DH to ToT and I rushed with my little guy over to enjoy one more Star Tours ride! Very fun day at my favorite park!

Tuesday, breakfast at O'hana never disappoints! DD9 LOVES Stitch, so we make sure to visit with him! We checked out the Poly a bit, then GF for the gingerbread house - kids weren't impressed but I was! We cabbed it over to AoA and DD3 never stopped smiling!! He was ready to hang out at Radiator Springs. DD7 is my very own little mermaid, so you can imagine she loved the resort as well. Then back to CSR to swim and hang out before MVMCP.

CSR's waterslide is terrific - lots of fun, DH and I both went down several times! After swimming it was off to MVMCP. All I can say is that we had the most wonderful time! The weather was perfect, DD11 met Jack Sparrow so her night was made. We literally walked onto every ride in the park. Caught the second parade (didn't feel any less crowded, but we watched from Main Street and not Frontierland like we usually do) Caught the Castle show, then the parade - saw fireworks prior to that while riding more than ones on Aladdin's carpets. Enjoyed the Jingle Cruise, DD3 could have ridden BTM all night long! I think he rode it 3-4 times! DD9 got her pumpkin waffle and thoroughly enjoyed it - food wise her favorite of the week!
It was a terrific party day - DH and I will take MVMCP over MNSSHP any day!

Have to mention CSR's bus service was phenomenal. Barely ever waited, more than one occasion had the bus to ourselves practically. DH, DDs 11 & 9 stood on way home from party but otherwise never had to stand.

Wednesday - here's where magical turns to miserable.... for me at least. I woke ready to go to Epcot, got everyone including myself ready to go. Unfortunately my stomach wasn't quite right, and it continued to not be quite right as the day progressed. I couldn't ride 2 of our 3 fast passes, took a trip to first aid for some medicine and tried to soldier on.... I managed to survive through our Test Track FP (first time for all of us on it) DD3 and I won!! things were looking up, even though my sinuses weren't great and getting worse, my stomach was improving so I thought. Next stop was the character stop...I made it through 2 of the 3 visits and had to excuse myself. The kids and DH went onto ride with Nemo and I sat a bit, then headed to Coral Reef for our CP Dinner Package. I sat at the table for about 5 minutes and realized I couldn't handle the smell of food and had to go. I took DS3 with me....he was asleep in his stroller before we made it to bus stops. He and I slept nearly 4 hours - I woke and my stomach bug persisted, now onto nausea. I missed my girls and Christmas around the world (never made it out future world), and the CP with NPH. And feared I wouldn't make our early CRT breakfast (first visit to the castle for all of us) the next morning.

I slept more, they returned DD9 bought me cute mickey necklace to make me feel better. I woke Thursday, tired and a little shaky, but much improved. I made it to CRT with everyone in our matching/coordinating shirts, barely ate (which stinks to not be able to enjoy a 2 credit meal). Loved the experience, but DH and I agree that's not one we'll go back to. Akershus interaction is far superior (both times we've eaten there) and it's only 1 credit. Being in the castle was fun though.
We rode and rode all day - late afternoon DH and I decided to take a DVC tour. I would LOVE to have a washer and dryer while on vacation (I always lose pool time doing laundry). So we took the tour, and even earned 3 fast passes per person for our next day at HS!! So exciting! After the tour, DD9 begged to go back to MK and ride Splash Mtn. It was so chilly and already rainy I was against it, but it's a trip for the kids, so off we went. She rode it twice!! She and DD7 got soaked - DD11, didn't exactly stay dry either. DD3 and I rode BTM and then DH rode it with him. We had a fun time, stayed until 7 and party was starting. Back to the resort we went. Everyone was happy and in good spirits...so looking forward to our final stop at HS the next day.

5:00 am friday morning I awake to that awful sound. That sound when you know your child is getting sick. DD9 woke suddenly vomiting - her stomach flu came on swiftly and wiped her out. She was down for the count. I begged for a late check out for at least one of our rooms which they granted (until 1:00 PM) I then spent the afternoon (around 11:30 she finally stopped vomiting) trying to figure out if we should stay another night and the other half of us fly home as planned....it was so stressful, my poor baby was so sick, missing what is also her favorite park, I really didn't want to fly without any of my kids with me but I knew if she got sick again I was booking a hotel room by the airport. I had contingency flight plans and we waited it out. She slept by the quiet pool as we waited for the others to return from their quick visit to HS. Fortunately she improved enough to fly. Fever subsided, stomach calmed, but she was clearly worn out. It was a fast and furious visit from gastroenteritis.

Last year when we left our fall trip, we were all well, until the flight when our DD (then 6 began to get sick - to her credit she did well with the air sickness bags and made it to the bathroom until of course we were stuck in the disembarking line....ugh, but that's another story) Anyway, DD9 pointed out that I must have said we would have to wait a long while to return after that stomach bug then ran it's course through DD (then 8 and myself). Never in a million years did I expect to have a similar situation, I got our flu shots (so we would avoid the true Influenza - it's an awful illness and we know because it ran through our family last Christmas) I dosed them up on their vitamin C, washed hands well, in fact DD9 is probably my best at that, but germs are sneaky.....

I look back on our trip and remember the great days and times we had. I have a twinge of sadness over missing out not being with all of my kids Wednesday night and then Friday all day. I mean that's why I plan these trips. And being a Star Wars nut, I sat alongside my ailing little girl in my 'Star Wars 77' tee that I was to wear to meet Vader and Chewie, I ended up living it all vicariously through my oldest who is also a fan.
BUT overall, there were more good/magical days than bad, and yes I would go back again!! After all, DD9 and I are owed another trip on the RnR!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter