Frequent park goers: what stops the parks from becoming stale?

For our family, going to Disney feels like going home to us. We love the total familiarity we have with Disney and just feel comfortable, never nervous or anxious.

We do shake things up by staying at a different Disney resort each time (we have a goal at staying at them all -- we have done 10 so far). Next year, we are throwing a Disney cruise in the middle of our stay for something new.

There is something new to do and see every time we go (and we have been doing annual trips as a family since 2009, with several trips prior to that for DH and I). It's our tradition. It's what we do. :)

Now that our family has grown to include a son, we love making memories with him!! He went when he was in my belly and then when he was 3 months old and our next trip he will be 15 months old. Our older girls are as excited as we are to watch him "grow up" in Disney like they have!

We have been going 40 years since our honeymoon in 1975, (nearly 60 if you count Disneyland in 1957).
There is nearly always something new, something we haven't tried, or a new "theme" to our trips. We love the Waterparks, trying new food, seeing how many times I can do Everest in a row, taking new people, all of theses things and more make for great trips.

For example, our trip in May included my son proposing to his girlfriend, showing her all the parks (seeing what we love through new eyes), the opening of Harambe market and trying everything on the menus! (Also a new Everest record of 12 rides in a row! :)

Every trip is somehow different, and comfortably the same!

For me, it simply boils down to this - there is always something new to discover and it leads to a fantastic time.

As my DD's get older, we are able and do new things each trip. Great experiences when heights were reached for EE and RnRC and enough courage was found to finally try ToT - now youngest DD's fav ride. Really looking forward when they are old enough to do some of the backstage tours.

Buying DVC has morphed our visits from commandos supreme to a more laid back approach. By stopping and smelling the roses, as it were at WDW, we found activities that we either blew off or didn't know about before because we were all about the rides. We love doing SotMK and my DD's love the WE activity at AK - they finally got all the badges last trip! I now love going to a park at RD, leaving at noon and hanging at SAB at the BCV during the afternoon. Then after dinner, going back to a park, watching a daily movie on the beach, playing mini golf, etc. We actually have managed to add a small bit of relaxation in our WDW trips now.

I know people like to talk how bad the CMs have gotten, but each trip we have had some really wonderful CM interactions - and that is definitely a part of the magic. And it starts with having some actual conversations with them - to me that is way more appealing than handling complaints all day.

We are also going to WDW at Xmas for the first time. We have the advantage of many trips - so we don't have to fight the crowds to try and get "everything in ".
Just looking forward to the atmosphere and knowing that we can retreat back to resort and find some thing fun to do if the parks get too crazy. Loved going the F&G festival this year. Planning a 20th Anniversary trip in a couple years during F&W.

And while it may seem like it's taking forever, new stuff is coming to AK and DHS and Disney Springs. And as long as La Cava del Tequila is operating...I'll be back!

Every trip (and I'm up to about #35 now), I intentionally do some new things, or do things differently. This last trip I finally went to Hoop de Doo, took the Undiscovered Future World Tour, did Pick-a-Pearl and did a lot of resort hopping (and sitting in air conditioned lobbies)... all mixed in with the must-do favorites, of course. Even after all these trips, there are things I haven't done yet.

My spouse has only been twice so far, both times as an adult. Watching him get really, really into everything is a lot of fun; I've never seen him so willing to try new foods and experiences as I do at Disney.

I average about 10 park entries a month, almost always by myself.

I have a checklist of all the rides/shows/attractions/characters there are and that helps give me a goal. I don't always check something off the list, but know knowing there is something else to do helps keep things interesting.

After checking everything off the MK list (rides, shows, and characters) I did notice things started to feel a little stale, so I invested in a nice camera and now I have a new way to see the parks and that helps a lot.

We go once a year, but we alternate between Orlando and Cali/DLR. In the two year interim, there is usually something new at Disney and/or Universal. Last year, New Fantasyland and Diagon Alley were new to us.

In addition, because we squeeze so much into a limited amount of time, we always miss some rides/shows/experiences, so that helps to keep things fresh for next time.

Also, we don't watch YouTube videos of the rides. That helps us to forget just a little, so when we experience the attraction on the next trip, we sometimes have a "oh yeah! I forgot about that!" moment.

If the parks are becoming stale for you, I would recommend taking a break and going somewhere else on your next trip. You can only go back to the same well so many times.

Last edited:
I have some non-headliner favorites (Pirates, HM, TTA) that never get old and find some low-wait attractions that I don't see every trip (like maybe Tiki Room on one trip, HoP the next, CoP on the third trip). That way I don't get tired of seeing the same thing every time (except Haunted Mansion, I'll ride that every day for the rest of my life and not get tired of it).

My wife and I have just recently become "avid" Disney fanatics..........we've gone once a year for the past 3 years...........however we'll be visiting twice within 33 days for Disapalooza and the WDW Marathon week. We're also saving for AP's for the end of 2016 and most of 2017. I think the key for us is we haven't gone for more than 5 days on anyone trip.............not nearly enough time to do too much. We also haven't ridden on every ride (I've never seen Country Bear Jamboree)............way to many restaurants to try yet too. The biggest thing is to find a way to make each trip unique.........although we loved the WL (and consider it our HOME resort) we usually stay at a different location on site for each visit. For December its AoA and in January it will be BWV. We also look to add at least 1 unique experience to each trip............last year it was the Segway tour at Ft Wilderness.........in December we're having tea at the GF.

For us there's always something new and interesting to do...........and the things we always do like multiple rides on Splash Mountain and the Goofy Beach Breakfast at Cape May Cafe we look at as our traditions.........which never get boring and are always unique for us!

Doug :goofy:

For us it's just being at WDW. Even without going to a park we are just so happy to be there. When we walk into the HH at OKW (usually) we know we are home and no matter what we do or don't get to do over the next few days it's gonna be a great vacation. We ate a table service meal for the first time since DS13 was DS5 in May so I suppose adding new experiences helps too.

I agree with PPs. I don't know that I could ever truly tire of going to WDW. BUT, I think it is important to try new things each visit. It's so big, with new opportunities and experiences constantly being added, that I think you can find ways to freshen the experience. For example, on our last trip we rented a boat at POR and sailed the Sassagoula all the way to DTD and back; I took the KTTK tour while my wife spent time at the Dolphin spa; we went to La Nouba; tried restaurants we'd never visited before. Our next trip we will be going to the Luau at the Poly, Gospel Brunch at House of Blues (hope they are still doing that anyway), and taking the Behind the Seeds tour.

In a phrase - do everything. So if we're walking along and there's a street show, a band, the JAMMitors, whatever - we stop and watch. We look at the snack and drink stands and find something new, we shop in the stores. We never, ever rush somewhere. Like so many others have said, the atmosphere, just "being there" is what we love.

I've told the story before on here, but in case you haven't heard it, here it is again.

A few years ago we were walking into MK and we were discussing which way to turn - Tomorrowland or Adventureland. I asked my daughter who was around 11 or 12 at the time "what's your favorite thing to do here." Without hesitation, she looked at me and said "walking up Main Street with you, holding your hand". That's it (drop the mic).

My sister is 31 and I'm now 26. We always go with my parents - both in their 60s. We've been going since we were very young and it's our "family vacation."

Does it get stale? A little. We LOVE Disney, but my sister is a teacher, my dad is retired and my mom basically has unlimited PTO days. Me? I'm early in my career and have about 15 to play with. I LOVE Disney during Christmas, but using 1/3 of my vacation days is getting a little old. I'd like to see new places around the world, and have considered shortening my trip or pushing to do it every other year, rather than once a year.

But something hits me when we get to the parks. There's some magic and nostalgia. I've been on Thunder Mountain more times than I can count, and yet - every time feels like a new experience. Recently, I've started to look at Disney from a new perspective. I try and slow down and enjoy the actual design of the park. So many people rush through Main Street to be the first on a ride. Have you every stopped and admired the architecture or design of the buildings? The safari is great - but aside from the animals, I find myself pondering how everything works. Are all the trees real, or does Disney recreate most of it - like the upside down tree... that tree is from Africa - how does it survive in Disney? I also enjoy EPCOT and try and enjoy the perspectives they create.

Also - I'm a huge foodie. Disney has really stepped up their food game lately. Between the food trucks and the new snacks, there's always something I "have to try!" Two years ago it was the waffle sandwich. Last year it was the flavored popcorn in EPCOT. I haven't discovered my new treat for this year - but I will.

We also try and do new things each year. Maybe we spend one day at a new resort - like touring Fort Wilderness. One year we actually rented a boat and went into the Seven Seas Lagoon. Our vacations are around 8 days long. It accounts for the limited rides we could do each day due to the crowds during Christmas, but also gives us time to do new things.

We also fell victim to going to the same restaurants too often. We LOVE Narcoossee's, but we're skipping it this year. We're going to Artist Point instead.

At the very most - try taking some time off. I know when we skipped in 2011, we couldn't wait to get back in 2012!

Just wondering from all my favorite people here :) what stops you personally from being burnt out of DISNEY?
Not spending 12 hours in a Park each day.

No matter where you vacation, your day likely includes a morning portion, and afternoon portion and an evening portion.

For folks like us who can spend 7-9 nights at Disney 1x-2x each year, not all of our days are about going to the Parks.

Mornings are not always about the Parks - breakfast at a resort can be our morning activity.
Afternoons - crowds in the Parks are at there peak, we avoid these times in the Parks and enjoy the pool or boating or other resort activities.
Evenings - our youngster cannot stay up past 10pm for the most part, so we enjoy early dinners or relax just enough in the afternoons to make Fantasmic! and Wishes enjoyable for her. She also enjoys going to 'camp' while the parents enjoy a Signature meal. If we do decide on Cirque de Soleil or Wishes or Fantasmic! - we relax the entire day leading up to that point.

It's not all about the Park.

Let me give an example. Friends of our stayed at Disney with there young son (8'ish?). Their next vacation was at a beach resort. The son asks his dad on the second day, "Where are the rides?"

If all you want is to sit on a beach - Disney is not a place for you. But if you have active kids, Disney has more than enough activities AND Disney has rides.

I admit - we are lucky. If Disney is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, how else but to try and see it all in a few days. But we are lucky that we can always say, "Next time."

As I've started going to Disney more and more, I've realized that I don't need to go "theme park commando" and do everything on every trip. I pace myself and I take breaks to enjoy my resort more than I used to. If you don't do every single thing every time, then each visit is a little different. My upcoming trip is with my best friend, who I've never traveled with before and who hasn't been to Disney since she was a little kid, so it should be a really fun and different experience this time. I also like to balance out revisiting restaurants that are old favorites with new ones that I haven't tried yet. I always try at least one or two new places each time, which I really look forward to. Same goes for attractions - can't wait to finally see the Seven Dwarves Mine Train! I love to soak in the details and theming of the lands and resorts, and enjoying these details keeps it fresh for me. Taking it a little slower has really helped give me a fresh perspective on going to Disney and really enjoy it more thoroughly.

Every time I go there is always something new there or something I haven't done before, even shopping at a new shop or eating at a new restaurant keeps it new and magical

We are life-long fans of just about everything related to Disney. IRL, we don't know many people like us, but at WDW there are a lot of folks like us. It's such a kick to have casual conversations with strangers that share such a deep common interest. We enjoy seeing other people discovering the magic, we help out where we can (the bathrooms are right over there.)

Also there are so many details in the attractions that we consistently find something where we look at each other & say "Did you ever see that before?" :earsboy:

We try to go to attractions that are new to us each time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter