French Riveria & Trunk vs. Sapphire (kids too)

Masonpips

DIS Veteran
Several questions on the Eastern excursion options. Please answer any that you can or have an opinion on - thanks!

Our Goals:
One "family" beach excursion for sure, possibly two
Some decent snorkeling (including kids), Kids are 4 & 6; both swim on their own but we'd use life jackets for snorkeling
Independently arranged excursions so we can come/go as we please

Our questions for St. Maarten:
We'd like to do the beach early, then shop later. If we take the kids (this one is optional, we're ok with seeing some nudity and they probably wouldn't blink, but we might opt for an adult's only day), we might take them back to the Magic then shop on our own later. So....:

1) French Riveria/Orient Beach: how easy is it to do on your own?
2) How much is cabfare and where should we ask to be dropped off?
3) Food availability on the beach or bring your own from room service?
4) Snorkeling? Too rough? ok? Rentals available?
5) Beach slope, does it get deep quickly?

Our questions for St. Thomas/St. John:
6) For a family, which is better - Trunk Bay or Sapphire Beach?
7) Options for getting there/back + cost - if Trunk Bay, were you worried about getting back on time?
8) Snorkeling - good? too rough? rentals available?
9) Beach slope, does it get deep quickly?

10) Am I overlooking a "great" family beach choice?

Any advice is welcome - thanks again

I have not been to Trunk Bay yet, but will be leaving in 2 weeks for the cruise!! Can't wait1. Anywho......We have the French Riveria planned for St. Maarten and We are planning on doing Trunk Bay ourselfs...got directions from another dis member! That way you can leave when you want and you will have time to shop in St. Thomas or St. John if you would like! If you need the directions.......let me know.....

Trunk Bay is ranked #1 amoung many magazines and travel shows and is the most photographed beach in the world.....So you know it's beauty......It's suppse to have a prime snorkeling site also......Not sure of the grade of the beach though.....from the pictures I have seen...it looks like it go down gradually! They do offer food on the beach...also changing rooms and restrooms....I guess they have a picnic area where you can eat.....of just eat on the white sandy beach!! ;) As far as rentals....I know you can rent snorkel equipment but I don't think they offer any water sports.

I'm not sure how much the taxi is to ge to the fairy but I guess it takes about 40 min-1 hour to get there.....but from what i hear........It's well worth it!! :D

Hope you enjoy your cruise....did you check disney's website..it gives you some description on the excursions....you can call them to.....i have a few times and they were very helpfu!

Travis

On St Martin if you take the water taxi from the pier it brings your right to downtown, where there is shopping and a nice beach, greatbay beach. I like to hang out at that beach and then do some shopping later in the day. You tend to get better prices later in the afternoon.

I have gone to Trunk Bay Beach, it is beautiful, but I was bored. With little kids though you might be fine. You can book an excursion right through DCL, that way you don't have to worry about missing the boat!

Hi, I haven't been yet, but I've been doing alot of research so I'll share what I've found out. Maybe someone else can give you first hand experience as well.

Orient Beach
Taxi's-$18 for 2 one way. I believe they have an adjusted rate for more.

Activities- It sounds like there is alot to do here.

Lunch- Order room service that morning and take it with you.
I believe there is food though.

Trunk Bay-This is said to be nice, but can get crowded when there are alot of cruise ships in. Go to Dave's list of links, I believe he has a section on this.

On your own-a taxi to the ferry at Red Hook is $8 per person one way. I don't know how much the ferry over is from this point.
If we decided to do this one, I think I would schedule it through DCL. The ship leaves around 4:45.

It's suppose to have great snorkeling.

I hope this helps some. There are some great sites on these.

I did a little more checking. I went to Dave's Site-list of links and he has a section on both St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

Sapphire Bay looks like it would be alot less hassle to do on your own. It is near Red Hook. There is no fee to use it, good watersports rental, a restaurant and good snorkeling.

Trunk Bay-the ferry from red hook is $3 one way per adult and $1 for a child under 12.

There is rental gear, snack bar and a changing facility.

I have also been trying to figure out what we can do on our own and what are all the costs. Transportation seems to be a little confusing.

The best snorkeling on St Maarten is supposed to be Dawn Beach. We did go there, rented a van and drove over as soon as the ship docked. The snorkeling was pretty lousy, if you are experienced. There is a drop off here and any fish and coral are in deeper water, above head height at any rate. We had plenty of time after to drive around the whole island, we then parked in the pay lot in Phillipsburg and shopped on Front Street and returned to the ship and were still dressed for early seating. The island is small enough that any beach would be doable. Dave and Jen on the Passporter site know St Maarten well, take a gander at their recent report on a land tour of the island. My understanding is snorkeling is marginal on the whole island. The other beaches that may have some snorkeling will probably not have much in the way of facilities. Went to Orient many years ago and there was nothing much to snorkel. Other interesting things to see, though, sometimes more than you bargained for.

Beach access snorkeling with little kids can be tough, if the waves are high it can be a booger to get them out past the surge. Depending on the month Coki beach on St Thomas can be good. Take your snorkel gear (or rent) and if the waves are too high check out Coral World instead. Great "family" beach.

We chartered a boat in St Thomas via shoretrips.com and went to Capella. Worked well with our little kids. Even though the water was much deeper, since it was not beach diving there were not the waves to contend with. DS6 had a melt down at Dawn and would not return to the water, but was as happy as a pig in slop going off the boat in St Thomas. We had enough time to take a morning snorkel tour, clean up, sit down lunch on ship and shop at Havensite Mall.

Don't forget Magen's Bay. No snorkeling, but a great little kid's beach. Very gentle, soft sand, pretty shallow fairly far out. Facilities.

Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter