French quarter vs Riverside

Capo

Mouseketeer
I've stayed at both French quarter and Riverside many times but that was about 8 to 10 years ago. Which one would you say is better for an adult trip? Are any under construction that might limit enjoyment?

What about buses? Are they shared or does one have better buses than the other?

Thanks!

French Quarter is a smaller, more compact layout. Nothing is a very far walk to the main building with the front desk, food court, bar and store. It has a single pool but there is a pool bar. The French Quarter does not have a table service restaurant.

Riverside is much larger and it can be a long walk to the main building with the feature pool, front desk, food court, bar, store and table service restaurant. There are also several smaller pools scattered around the resort.

All the buses at French Quarter pickup and drop off at a single location. All the buses at Riverside make stops at multiple points as they circle the much larger more spread out resort. The two resorts share buses only during the non-busy hours. When they do share, the French Quarter is picked up or dropped off first then the bus makes the rounds of the multiple stops at Riverside.

The boat to Disney Springs stops at both resorts.

In my person opinion, the French Quarter is the more adult orientated and has better over all theming.

Last edited:
Some good observations above. I think that in the end this all comes down to personal preferences. We enjoy POFQ and PORiverside. We find Riverside to be more a relaxed atmosphere. But we also enjoy the ambiance of FQ.

We didn’t enjoy riverside earlier this year. The walk was too far from everything, no elevator (we had a double stroller and they guaranteed us a first floor room but it never happened) and the layout is confusing.

I think it depends. French Quarter is smaller and so more convenient for getting around the resort but we personally prefer the theming of Riverside’s mansion buildings and given the choice would choose to stay there. They feel a bit more upscale than the French Quarter side and the other Riverside buildings.

French Quarter. We stayed there for our honeymoon years ago. It only has one bus stop and a much smaller foot print. It's also very quiet, our room was directly across from the pool/hot tub and there was no noise.

Since you have stayed at both you pretty much know the advantages and disadvantages. FQ smaller - New Orleans type theming. POR larger more old Louisiana type theming. The buses are the buses, you aren't going to get better or worse service at any single resort on property. You are going to only have one stop most of the time at FQ, which is going to make your trip faster if that is a thing to you.

Personally, I prefer POR. I don't like the look of FQ, it looks more motel style to me even though POR is the same with outside hallways. I like all the little hidden spots at POR and just find it a more relaxing resort. Part of that might be because I'm not a fan of the New Orleans busy theme at FQ. I actually like the fact that POR is a bigger resort but I'm a walker and there is nothing more relaxing for me than to get up early in the morning and stroll around.

We stayed at Riverside last month and the Riverside park buses never shared with FQ during our trip.

I have stayed at Riverside and will be staying at French Quarter for the first time next month.

I loved Riverside - we were in a Bayou room and really enjoyed the theming. I found the food court very good. We had around a 10 min walk from our room to the main building but never once did I not enjoy the lovely walk through the grounds.

I stayed at Caribbean Beach a couple of years ago (just before the skyliner opened) and much preferred Riverside as the theme was more my taste.

Decided to stay at French Quarter this time as this was the cheapest moderate on offer at time of booking. Looking forward to a much smaller resort but also very happy that Riverside is just a 10mins walk away to enjoy when we are having resort time.

We are going to be booking at POFQ for a few nights prior to our DCL cruise next year, just my wife and I. We have stayed at POR a few times, but the smaller size of the resort and Mickey-shaped beignets kind of sold my DW.

I like both, but I'll only stay in Alligator Bayou at POR. I just like that part of the theming better.

i did FQ about 23 years ago and riverside 4 times since. i think the size of the resort is overblown. sure it's big but people speak as if you have 45 minute walk from the main building to some of the rooms. at most it's 10. anyway, riverside for me is a little more relaxed. the main pool is on an island. The busses can be a drag because busses can be a drag everywhere. last 3 trips i've had my van so that impact is less. boat is nice but if it filles at riverside, it drives on past FQ.

no elevator (we had a double stroller and they guaranteed us a first floor room but it never happened)
did you ask about this? there are a lot of first floor rooms and the mansions have elevators. wonder if the room category made it more difficult. just curious what they said for why. i requested mansions or first floor my last trip with stroller. got a first floor mansion room.

I like the look of POR better than POFQ and we enjoyed walking around POR. However, this trip we picked POFQ because of the one bus stop and, since we have a toddler, we wanted the splash pad too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter