French quarter vs Boardwalk Inn? - need help

Kelwel

Earning My Ears
Hi, I am traveling to WDW in May with my very energetic 8 year old. With the deals going on, there is now a lesser price difference between Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn. I initially chose POFQ but Boardwalk may be a good option now with the decreased price.

Here are the details why I am debating. We are traveling by ourselves. This trip is for him since I have had major back issues for the past 1.5 yrs which has left me at times unable to move. That is why I prefer a smaller resort to avoid extra resort walking or complicated transportation. Also note, my son is afraid of heights so skyliner access doesn’t appeal to us. Roller coasters fine, these gondola type things are not. He is a tall kid and can go on all the rides. We have been to Disneyland many times so I think our main focus will be Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I like the theming of Boardwalk since it incorporates Mickey Mouse more but in a subtle way. however, the one pool option and no splash pad makes me second guess the Boardwalk, along with the size of the resort and food options. It will be harder for me to get food at night if I have to drag my son too. We will be there for 7 days and plan to have more resort afternoons/evenings. He doesn’t like fireworks so no need to stay all day. Considering I want to take advantage of the resort amenities every day, not just one day, makes me feel like it is worth it to spend that extra amount.

I am just trying to make this the best experience for him and want to make the right choice. Any help in deciding on the two places or your families experience would be appreciated. Centered on a kid’s experience would be the most helpful bc I am not going to any fine dining on the boardwalk with a kid who eats ranch out of a side cup with his finger…

Honestly, I’ve been to both and it really is just up to what you prefer. I have an affinity for the boardwalk because of how incredibly close it is to the international gateway entrance for Epcot (less than 5 min walk!!) and the boardwalk itself is just a very fun experience as they have good entertainment and restaurants in close distance. I will say, if your son doesn’t like fireworks the boardwalk may not be the absolute best option because you can definitely see and hear the fireworks from Epcot at night if you are outside, typically not at all noticeable if you are in your room/the hotel though. Also, look into the dining options at the boardwalk more because you may be surprised that not all of the restaurants are Flying Fish level expensive. The boardwalk deli is good, and trattoria al forno/their pizza window is good too. I went on a trip recently with a 7 year old and he liked the pool a lot as well. It has a cute slide and is heated; and it’s actually a pretty good size. The boardwalk rooms are very nice as all of them have recently been updated and I really like how clean they feel. As per POFQ, it is smaller and more compact, and the dining options are ok. The beignets are pretty good though :) I will say, the rooms are not as nice and not renovated/modern like the boardwalk rooms are. Transportation at the boardwalk is better I would say. Busses are consistent, friendship boats to HS are available, and of course as mentioned previously, the walk to Epcot and entering through the international gateway was pretty great! Aforementioned 7 yr old absolutely LOVED Remys ratatouille adventure over in the French pavilion and it was a hit with the rest of the family too. I would suggest watching some YouTube videos on both of the hotels to make your final selection of what is best for your family! Hope this helped! 👍

however, the one pool option and no splash pad makes me second guess the Boardwalk, along with the size of the resort and food options.
I can't speak to what you think is too large of a size or not - you could ask for a room close to the lobby though it's never guaranteed. But there are at least three pools at the Boardwalk. Two quiet pools - one in the Rose Garden and one on the DVC side as well as the main pool. We almost never go to the main pool. We prefer the quiet pools. Hardly anyone ever goes there so it is literally quiet and uncrowded. Not much in the way of theming but all I need is the water and somewhere to sit.

For food options, there are some quick service places along the Boardwalk (Bakery? Deli?, pizza), Trattoria Al Forno, Flying Fish, Big River Grille (honestly I don't recommend that one but they do sell food), the Cake Shop (whenever it finally opens), the restaurants across the water at Yacht and Beach Club (Cape May, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Crew Cup Lounge, Ale & Compass, QS places in the BC Marketplace and in the YC shop whatever that's called), and restaurants and QS at the Swan and Dolphin. Those are a bit more of a walk but you can also take the boat. And then EPCOT itself is a short walk to the IG where you have access to a number of food places assuming you have tickets for the day. It's not too far to Les Halle in the French pavilion which is great for breakfast or lunch and if you're there when the food festival kiosks are open, you can easily grab food at 1-3 close to the IG without needing to go too far into the park.

If you want convenience to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios, you can't do much better than the Boardwalk area.

From BW Inn you’d have the choice of walking or taking the boat to/ from Epcot or DHS. If your back is still a potential issue, that might be helpful - the boat isn’t bumpy like the buses from POFQ would be.

I can't speak to a kid's experience, but if you want to mainly visit Epcot and Hollywood Studios, the location of Boardwalk can't be beat. You can walk right into World Showcase and there's a boat to Hollywood Studios. As far as walking is concerned, French Quarter is probably the least spread out of all the moderates, but it's still going to be more walking to get to food and transportation from your room than at Boardwalk. I think Boardwalk might be the more practical/easier option for you between the 2 resorts.

We prefer Boardwalk. The rooms were just newly renovated a few months ago. And you can either walk or take the nice boats to either Epcot or Hollywood Studios.

We also really like the Boardwalk Deli and the general nightlife vibe on boardwalk itself.

This is really a toss-up for me. BWI is going to offer you a bigger, recently renovated room and closer proximity to Epcot and DHS. The pool is also very nice and has a great slide - you can actually stay on the pool deck and still keep you eye on your child if they go down the slide. The downside - the QS options are abysmal there and the walk from your room to the Boardwalk just to get food can be long. Plus, I've found the resort to be really loud with paper thin walls. We just stayed there for a week in November and I don't think we will be back anytime soon. If staying in the EP area, we will opt for YC/BC or Swan/Dolphin from now on (you may actually want to check out Swan/Dolphin pricing if you want to be in the EP area).

POFQ is very small and it's a very short walk to the pool, lobby, QS and buses. The QS there is far superior to BWI with a ton of options and indoor seating. The rooms are also very quiet and comfortable. Just know, the pool at POFQ is scheduled to be closed from January to April - hopefully there will be no delays.

BWI. BC if something just as cheap pops up there.

I actually did a POFQ/BWI split stay a couple years ago. Getting to BWI was a relief. No more waking up every time the window AC kicked on, indoor hallways, boat to 2 parks. I had one of the furthest rooms at POFQ and one of the furthest rooms at BWI- BWI was better because that long walk was inside so protected from the elements.

The BWI rooms are nicer and indoor hallways make them a bit quieter than the motel style POFQ. Since you’re focusing on EP & DHS the boat access cannot be beat (Skyliner is of no use at BWI). You can take the boat to both EP & DHS or walk if your son needs to burn energy.

The Boardwalk has fun entertainment at night if you want a little something to do without entering a park. I recall these 3 guys doing a light up jump rope show one night that were really high energy and fun to watch, and there were other acts. You can easily walk to BC/YC or Swolphin to enjoy their QS dining. If something just as cheap opens at BC I’d switch there from BWI as its inside access to a broader QS. You have to walk outside to get to QS at BWI- but since you’re comparing it to POFQ that’s a nothing as POFQ will be a longer outdoor walk to QS than BWI is.

(Have you been to WDW? In case you haven’t I want to cover transport. I was also a DLR vet when I went to WDW. HOLY TOLEDO the transport situation SUCKS. I was used to 1 min between theme parks hahaha. POFQ will require you to bus to and from every park. Buses are such a time suck and odds are you will be standing. I didn’t think this stuff mattered until I experienced it and then wowza did I get why people upgrade to certain hotels with better park access or utilize rideshare services when they can afford it.)

ETA- concur look into Swan Dolphin. If they aren’t having a conference they might be what you’re looking for.

If the price is no big deal, BWI all the way. They do have quiet pools as well as the big pool and from what I've seen kids seem to love the main pool. As far as food, while there is no food court there are plenty of options. You do have to go outside to get to them but you are going to have to go outside at FQ as well. Depending on where your room is, the hallways can be long (REDRUM like) but if you request to be close to an elevator that won't be a problem. I love being able to walk to two parks.

I agree with looking into Swan/Dolphin although if you are looking for a Disney themed resort, those won't work because while they do have small Disney touches here and there, they don't scream Disney. I actually have an upcoming trip at Dolphin the first week in April. I was able to get a room there with my AP discount for less than a Disney moderate. That is even taking into account the resort fee and the parking fee since I drive down. I had hoped to BWI but it was at least $200 more a night, even with my AP discount and I couldn't make myself pull the trigger on that when Dolphin is in the same location and I don't need the Mickey in your face theming. I was able to get a resort view room with a balcony so while not BWI balcony (not even close you can barely sit on the ones at Dolphin) for $200 a night less, I'm good.

We LOVE POFQ - It's our favourite moderate. That being said, I would never switch to a moderate from a Deluxe. Especially one that's in the Epcot Resort Area. You just cant beat the proximity to EPCOT and HS. Also, my kids claim the slide at BWI is the best one.

Tough call. Room should be nicely renovated at BW. In the terms of actual theming, French quarter blows it away IMO. Felt like I was in another place when there. Didn't feel that at BW. FQ felt Disney and walking to riverside was great. But if not wanting to walk much, that wouldn't matter in your case

Or if able, add one night and do (4) nights at each =]

There is so much more value at the Boardwalk.

You are really comparing a motel to a hotel here…

The FQ is the only Moderate I enjoy, and truth be told, Boardwalk is on the lower end of my deluxe list. Personal preference nothing to do with the hotel..

Is would stay at the Boardwalk before FQ any day of the week and twice on Sunday

We have stayed at both and would have no issues staying at either one again.

Boardwalk - we stayed here when the kids were 9 & 6. We loved the room, easy transport to both EP & HS, the pool (I know the clown freaks some kids out, but mine liked it), and the boardwalk area in general. I know there are food options, but we ate all of our meals in the parks, Disney Springs, or at other resorts. The walk to our room was quite long. Those hallways seem to go on forever!

Port Orleans FQ - hands down our favourite moderate resort. Loved the smaller size. The room was nice and the pool was a hit. Did not love the bus situation. Some days they were packed. The food court was handy and always had something my picky son would eat.

If close in price I would choose the Boardwalk Inn for its proximity to the parks and general feel of the area. Request a room close to the lobby.

Whatever you choose, have a great vacation!!

We have stayed at both. I have never been a BW fan, but absolutely can appreciate its convenience and amenities. For your trip, it sounds like the better choice in terms of park access, transportation, recreation, and restaurants.

POFQ is my favorite moderate, although I haven’t stayed there in a while. It is much easier to navigate due to its small footprint. Their food court is okay, but could get old after a few days (yes, the beignets are a real treat). There was once a restaurant at the resort, but sadly it’s been closed for many years.

The BW/BC area offers lots of options and that‘s a good thing on vacations. I would book there for those reasons.

While FQ is one of my favorites, we outgrew that resort when my kids were about 5. They much preferred the pools at the other resorts to the pool at FQ. It seems the pool at FQ is definitely geared to the more younger-aged kids. Your DS would probably love the slide at BWI! I'd definitely go towards BWI just for the ease of transportation/proximity to Epcot and HS. You'll also get the extended evening hours by staying in a deluxe resort, which is one of the reasons we tend to only stay deluxe nowadays. I agree that if budget's not an issue, go with BWI.

I would probably choose POFQ if the trip is centered more around your son. POFQ has a pool, kid's waterplay area and a playground all within the same central zone. These areas are also adjacent to the main building which houses the QS for easy meals. Also note, staying at POFQ, you have access to the pools and food at POR. Another plus, POFQ has the easy boat ride to DS for more dining choices and shopping especially fun if your son enjoys Legos.

We stayed at YC when our girls were young and had not anticipated the LONG walk from the hotel to the front of Epcot for rides in the mornings. If your son is mostly interested in the rides at the front of Epcot, the BWI location is not as big of an advantage IMO for Epcot. I also find BWI severely lacking for varied QS food options. POFQ has a fantastic QS with lots of tasty typical kid foods and more unique options for adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter