Free upgrades at GF

disneyispi

Mouseketeer
I have heard about the GF occasionally upgrading a person's room for free.

Does anyone know if they do this during the XMAS season or is it done solely in the off-seasons?

been there 2x and upgraded once and not the other time- both times were in off season and extremely slow times at the gf

dont expect it at the gf

we're 3 for 3 at the yacht club and 1 for 1 at the poly

good luck

Bat4less, To what level were you upgraded at the Yacht Club and did you ask in any way? thanks,

We were upgraded in September from garden view to lodge concierge. I know this was value season, but the hotel was fully booked (we tried to stay an extra night and there were no rooms available anywhere in the hotel- we were even willing to pay rack rate).

We had reservations for two connecting rooms, and I honestly think these were the only connecting rooms left in the hotel for that night, hence we got the upgrade.

I know that sometimes people get free upgrades as a sort of promotional device when the hotel is empty, but our situation illustrates that sometimes if they're in a bind as to where to locate you, you end up with an upgrade.

Good Luck

I've been staying at WDW resorts for almost 20 years now and I have never received a complimentary upgrade. And, we almost always travel during "Value" season, never during holidays. So, I guess it is hit or miss or I have really bad luck. LOL

Good luck with the upgrade and have a great trip! :) :)

We stayed at the GF last December (13-20) and were upgraded to a waterview (could see the castle from our balcony). I simply asked nicely and reminded them of how often I have returned to WDW (that was second trip in 2001).

It was great!

We're like Misti...we've never been upgraded and we've been staying on site since 1982 with 33 or 34 or so vacations. Lucky folks that get them but I sure wouldn't build up my expectations.

It all depends on the CM that checks you in. I know if you are "bubbly" and go on and on about how excited you are to be here and it's .....'s birthday next week and this is her birthday present or how you've always wanted to stay here around the holidays and you are just so excited about actually being here, ........ you'd be surprised how you often you'll get an upgrade if something is available. I've gotten them often at GF and at other resorts too - - just by being really really excited.

when we got upgraded at the yc- we went from regualr conc room to a 3 bedroom 1800 ft suite without even asking- resort wasnt full- the conc guy had gotten us some ressies and we rewarded kindly as we did for the upgrade

good luck

Well, I must be doing something majorly wrong! LOL ;) I've had a Disney wedding, 30+ Disney trips, am as friendly as I can be at check-in, and I still have never got one (even on my honeymoon after my Disney wedding). Guess there is not enough pixie dust for everyone. :) Glad to hear these great stories though. Upgrades must be a very nice surprise!

:)

Heres another person who NEVER gets complimentary upgrades, or ANYTHING for free. :( Wish Disney would look at how much money they've made off of us...

I agree with Misti. We've been going to WDW almost since it opened, way too many times to count (hence no big list on my profile like others!LOL!!) and have never received an upgrade. We are super friendly people who get very excited every time we check into a Disney resort. I think it's wonderful that some people get upgrades, but I really do think it is the exception. I think the best thing is to pay for what you really want if you can. If you can't, an upgrade would certainly be a wonderful surprise, but I would look at is as a bonus.

Just my 2 cents.

We just returned from a stay at the yc. I had orginally booked a standard view room and received a water view room at check in. We had room 2007 which overlooked the boardwalk and we were able to see the fireworks from EPCOT. I did not ask about an upgrade and was not in the best of spirits either, as we had just come off the infamous 11/16 cruise, and had been victims of the virus. But we were checking in between 10:00-11:00am. so I don't know who gets upgraded and who doesn't.

I only wish that we had had more time there to enjoy the resort.

In 2000 from Garden to MK view GREAT room! And, I liked it SO much the next two times I reserved lagoon view. They won a loyal customer, stole me from the WL, and I loved the view so much I reserve it. I think giving upgrades is great advertising and great for loyalty. I am suprised so many of you frequent guest have not got one. I did ask for one if it was available.

Complimentary upgrades are usually only given by necessity. Such as when a guest needs non-smoking and there are none left in that category. It can be due to party size, special needs, etc. Another reason for free upgrades is when the resort wants to sell out and has lots of higher category rooms available, so they sell more lower category rooms than what they have in order to sell out and then they start upgrading people. Lots of guests try to get upgrades at the GF and are usually told that they will need to pay for them. It does happen on occasion that a free upgrade will be given without necessity, but it is not as common as you think. For all of you loyal Disney guests, please don't feel slighted for not getting an upgrade. It's not that the cast members don't want to give you one, they most likely just can't. Please remember though, that front desk cashiers and room assigners get yelled at a lot! No matter what you have heard, yelling, threatening and complaining does not help you get a good room.

In other words, it's just the luck of the draw. So, if you want a specific room, my advice is to book it.

Originally posted by TeenaS
It all depends on the CM that checks you in. I know if you are "bubbly" and go on and on about how excited you are to be here and it's .....'s birthday next week and this is her birthday present or how you've always wanted to stay here around the holidays and you are just so excited about actually being here, ........ you'd be surprised how you often you'll get an upgrade if something is available. I've gotten them often at GF and at other resorts too - - just by being really really excited.

I dunno ... I'm *always* bubbly, excited, happy, staying there for an anniversary, birthday, celebrating something (and I really am! LOL not just saying that) etc etc .. LOL .. when I'm checking in at WDW hotels, and I too have been staying there for years and years, but only once have I ever received an upgrade .. and even then, it wasn't really an upgrade - just allowed concierge priv. when staying in another building. I guess you can count me as being among the unlucky bunch too! :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter