Free night for solo dinner...what would you do?

winnieofpooh

DIS Veteran
On our trip in August, my husband is doing a solo night at V&A (I'm extremely picky, he's a huge foodie, so I told him he should go!). This leaves me with a free night and I have no clue what to do! He's doing V&A on our rest day (staying at GF). My original thought was to just head into MK and get quick service and stroll around the park for a bit, but now I'm wondering if I should do something else? Stay in the room and order a ton of room service? Head to Disney Springs and eat at a place DH wouldn't want to go?

If you had a free night for a solo evening/dinner, what would you do?

As a note, we have a bunch of table service dinners booked (Yachtsman, Narcoossee's, San Angel, Via Napoli) so I don't want to do something "big" for my free night.

So I take a lot of solo trips to WDW, and I really enjoy visiting Sanaa. There is so much to look at in the restaurant itself not to mention the animals outside (depending on how late your reservation is and what time of year it is).

On our trip in August, my husband is doing a solo night at V&A (I'm extremely picky, he's a huge foodie, so I told him he should go!). This leaves me with a free night and I have no clue what to do! He's doing V&A on our rest day (staying at GF). My original thought was to just head into MK and get quick service and stroll around the park for a bit, but now I'm wondering if I should do something else? Stay in the room and order a ton of room service? Head to Disney Springs and eat at a place DH wouldn't want to go?

If you had a free night for a solo evening/dinner, what would you do?

As a note, we have a bunch of table service dinners booked (Yachtsman, Narcoossee's, San Angel, Via Napoli) so I don't want to do something "big" for my free night.

Do a monorail drink/snack loop. Hit a location at each hotel around the MK for a drink or app and get dinner at the California Grill lounge. That’s what I think I would do!

I'd try one of the restaurants in Disney Springs, maybe a couple of the counter services there. One for dinner, one for dessert, one for a cocktail. Especially if you're not going to Disney Springs on this trip, I'd probably manage to fit in some shopping there too.

I'd go to that Poly bar by Ohana, Tambu?, and order the bananas foster bread pudding and a lapu lapu. Could even stop at CR and have an app and drink at the Wave lounge, then head to Poly for dessert.

Last edited:
That's what I started thinking...he's lactose intolerant and I'm obsessed with pizza so I was thinking about going to DS and making a pizza at Blaze and grabbing ice cream from Ghiradelli.
Oh thats a great plan! Let me tell you, Ghiradelli makes THE BEST SUNDAES EVERRRR!!!!!!! Theyre so good. Plus, DS is a great place to wander around solo (without your hubby) as you can take your time shopping in the stores your hubby would hate. :)

I’d either go to Epcot and wander around the world Showcase or monorail lounge hop. I’ve done both.

My boyfriend and I have ADRs for Fromtera In November. Can you please tell me why you hated it? Gracias!
I sat at bar. Had a drink that was just okay but pricey. The menu didn't inspire so I asked the server (bartender) what he recommended and it was a chicken enchilada thing. It was small and dry and very pricey for what you got. Not a winner to me. And slow service too. They also only take TIW for lunch.

I've done a lot of solo evenings in EP and I love them! I go on a few rides, go into every nook and cranny in EP, watch Illuminations, etc. If you are looking for pizza and ice cream, you could go to Via Napoli and then head out to the Boardwalk for a sundae at Ample Hills (and stay for the entertainment on the Boardwalk as well). Ample Hills is better than Ghiradelli, IMHO!

Try the Wave. I heard the perfect egg dish is killer there. Other than that you can’t go wrong with citricos (kind of big I know) or art smiths homecoming. Lastly maybe something at geyser point works for you. Fantastic views and some good food

I sat at bar. Had a drink that was just okay but pricey. The menu didn't inspire so I asked the server (bartender) what he recommended and it was a chicken enchilada thing. It was small and dry and very pricey for what you got. Not a winner to me. And slow service too. They also only take TIW for lunch.
Thanks lovin’fl. I’ve always respected your opinions. We’re definitely gonna rethink this. We’re looking for a non-park Mexican restaurant for our November trip.

Last edited:
Thanks lovin’fi. I’ve always respected your opinions. We’re definitely gonna rethink this. We’re looking for a non-park Mexican restaurant for our November trip.
One we loved was Maya Grill at Coronado. Very good.

the week I was there solo, i ate everywhere I wanted.
As a solo diner, I was treated extremely well at every restaurant.
California Grill, Flying Fish, Monsieur Paul, and others.
My suggestion, go where you want to and enjoy it.

On our last trip, my then-boyfriend and I had a few meals on our own and one of my favourite things to do was choose a restaurant in a different resort and Uber there from my resort. I knew that he wouldn't want to do that *too often* whereas I wanted to experience the best wherever that was. That's how I ended up having breakfast at Kona (I treated myself to a Minnie Van that day) while staying at Port Orleans Riverside, which to this day remains one of the best meals I've ever had.
I know you're looking for dinner recommendations, not breakfast, but the gist of this is - maybe try a restaurant in a location your husband wouldn't go to, like another resort or Disney Springs, or even in Orlando but outside of Disney. Hope you enjoy your solo night :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter