Free Genie vs Touringplans/RideMax

NorthernCalMom

Compulsive Touring Planner
I have tried to find a thread on this topic but didn’t see one. If there is one I missed, I’d love a link.
❤️

Have any of you amazing magic key owning dis-experts played around with Disney’s Genie touring recommendation (not the Genie+/LL system but the free app feature that’s supposed to alert you when a line in something you want to ride that day is low)?

Does it seem like a useful feature or more like a sneaky Disneyploy for shuffling crowds around and making their LL & $ILL$ more attractive (can you tell I have trust issues with DIsney…)?

If you’ve used TouringPlans or RideMax, how do those seem to hold up in comparison?

TIA for sharing any experiences & insights you may have.
😀👍

Free Genie was pretty useless. Just to try it out, I told it a few things we wanted to do, and it promptly recommended other things that we weren’t interested in and hadn’t listed. End of experiment.

Regular Genie is basically useless. There does not seem to be any logic behind what it recommends. I don't even think it's a ploy to shuffle crowds around because it seems to just randomly recommend things.

As other have pointed out, it recommends things that are not on your list. It recommends attractions that you are not near. It recommends attractions that are closed. It recommends dining that is not available.

The best judge of the regular Genie service is this Twitter thread where someone did whatever the service recommended when they were at CA:

I don’t want to spoil it but the very first choice is amazing.

To be fair, I would absolutely consider rope-dropping that choice. LOL.

I mean, yes, I rope drop for rides. But my last trip someone asked if I rope dropped that morning and I was like, "Yes, but I rope-dropped for a cinnamon roll at Jolly Holiday". And then I went the extra mile and rope-dropped at DCA the next day, but went straight to Soarin' (a ride I would not normally rope drop) so I could get a fluffernutter churro right after.

Sometimes the rides are the priorities, sometimes it's the food. I am what I am.

We had a blast watching YouTube videos of people letting the free Genie+ plan their day at WDW. The Epcot one was amazing as the person zig zagged the giant park and mostly was fed free shows and very little rides. It was a fantastic watch.

Touringplans for sure. Put your ride preferences in and let it build a plan for you. I use Touringplans solely to tell me if my plan makes sense. I tend to go in a linear pattern though and not trying to criss cross the parks. Tomorrowland>Fantasyland>Adventureland>Frontierland>New Orleans Sq>break for lunch and rest at hotel>back to do the rest. Works out well for me.

I'm totally biased here, obviously. But please don't use Genie for itinerary planning.

Genie has only two purposes:
  1. To upsell you things like buying droids, Genie+, and ILL
  2. To get you on less-popular rides instead of popular ones
Reason (2) is because Genie+ is a paid service.

From an park operations perspective, Disney's old FastPass+ was vastly different, both in concept and in how guests perceived its value.

1. FastPass+ was free, on purpose.

Disney's research showed that guests who used even 1 paper FastPass were more satisified than guests who didn't. So Disney thought that by giving away three or more FastPass+ reservations, they'd increase guest satisfaction.

You don't have to take my word for it. Here the page from Disney's 2010 pitch deck to their Board of Directors for Fastpass+ (then called xPASS), saying exactly this:

GXP1 (copy).png

(How'd I get this file? It fell off a truck.)

2. In order to give out that many FastPasses per day, Disney needed to put FP+ at a lot of attractions.

That had the effect of distributing crowds more evenly throughout the park. We're pretty sure that waits at the few headliner rides in each park dropped a lot, while waits at the (many more) secondary rides only went up slightly. And because of how human psychology works, you remembered how great you felt saving 50 minutes in line at Space Mountain, more than you noticed the extra 5 minute wait at Pirates of the Caribbean, so you were pretty happy overall with FP+. And that was true even if you had to use some FP+ choices on secondary rides. The feel-good effects were that powerful.

3. But Genie+ costs money. That changes how people use it, and therefore it changes crowd distribution.
Over the vast millennia and diaspora of human existence, not a single person has ever asked to pay $15 for shorter lines at Country Bear Jamboree. Because you're paying for Genie+, you want to use it on Disney's best rides, to get your money's worth.

The problem with that, of course, that Disney *needs* you to go on Country Bear Jamboree, and Tiki Room, and other, less popular attractions, because there's not enough capacity at Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Space Mountain for everyone who wants to ride, without wait times blowing up.

4. Disney really, really doesn't want to raise Genie+ prices high enough to have Genie+ demand match supply. It's the obvious solution, but they're already overwhelmed with negative guest survey results and bad publicity. Right now, the amount of revenue they're making from Genie+ is worth those costs, at least in the short term. And management only cares about the short term, because they know that most of them won't be around in 5 years.

Likewise, Disney doesn't want to build more high-capacity, popular rides unless it absolutely has to. Headliner rides cost a lot of money, take years and years to build, and there's always the risk that a ride won't be well-received.

5. So Disney now needs a way to distribute crowds more evenly. That's Genie.
I think the above explains it pretty well, but let me give you my experience with it. I visited DHS by myself, starting at 8 a.m. one morning. Over the course of a full day, Genie suggested 3 of the park's 5 most popular rides. And the only reason I got the third was because Rise broke down, and Genie knew it had to divert non-ILL guests from the standby line, because it had hours of ILL sales to make up.

Genie did, however, suggest all 7 of the lowest-rated rides in the park. That included - to me, a middle-aged guy by himself - Disney Junior Dance and Play, Lighting McQueen Racing Academy, and Alien Swirling Saucers. First - ewww. And second, Genie's day never included the rides I specifically said I wanted to ride.

So that's why Genie exists. It's not for guests. It's to move around people who aren't knowledgeable about the park, in ways that they woudn't by themselves, and to upsell guests on things they wouldn't otherwise buy. It's entirely for park management. It's not in your best interests, it's in theirs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter