Free Dinning w/ Upgrade - How is my math?

AllyReggie

Turkey Leg Hunter
Okay, foodie family. We are staying in All Star Sports w/ Free Dinning Promo upgraded to DxDDP.

2 rooms, with 2 adults each. So for this math I am doing just 1 room since I can just multiply it by 2.

I just want to check my math that I really am not crazy and things are definitely worth the cost.

8 Days 7 Nights with 6 Day Tickets w/ Park Hopper Plus

w/ The current room only promotion is: $1951.02
w/ Free QS Dining Plan promotions is: $2167.12

So it costs us $216.10 to get 2QS + 2snk credit for each night.

When we upgrade to DxDDP it is an additional $892.52

So it costs us $1108.62 ($216.10 plus $892.52) to have 3 meal credits and 2 snack credits.

Since we are using the majority of our snack credits at IFWF and they can be from $3-$7 per credit we will estimate low and say each credit is $4. 2 snacks x 7nights x 2adults = 28 credits x $4 = $112

$1108.62 (cost of the plan to us) - $112(snack credit value) = $996.62 (value of meal credits)

We get 2 x 3 credits per day = 6 credits a day x 7 = 42 total credits

996.62 / 42 = $23.72 value per credit.

See, this is where I get stuck. Am I right? If the value of each "meal" or credit used only needs to be $23.72 then pretty much any meal is close to a good use of the credits, as long as I limit my use on QS and even then, most of the places I were looking at get close to $17 for an entree and a $6 drink after tax pretty much make that work it completely! I know there are places like the End Zone food court where its not quite a value but.... still!

Places that are $55 for a price fixed meal are 2 TS credits, which would be $47.44 so I am still saving some money, right?

Am I forgetting something? I feel like I am crazy with all the people telling me the DxDDP isn't worth it and I am sitting here going... but... I could easily spend $20-25 per meal OOP!

We already booked with the DxDDP so I am not really debating it... I guess I selfishly want to feel validated.

Last edited:
Your math is correct.

When you upgrade from free dining, just about any plan is worth the upgrade.

Staying at a value, the room only discount is like 10%, so that's why the free dining is a better discount.

Your math is correct.

When you upgrade from free dining, just about any plan is worth the upgrade.

Staying at a value, the room only discount is like 10%, so that's why the free dining is a better discount.
I knew there was a reason.

Full disclosure I'd rather spend the money to be at SSR (I know people hate it but I love it) but my parents (the other couple) wanted to stay in the cheapest hotel possible...

One of these days I'll get them hooked on a fancier hotel!

Just don't forget to plan for how much extra you are spending on tips!

Fortunately for me, it isn't much extra, we love to eat at the nice places, and we most likely wouldn't change where we'd eat if we didn't have the dining plan!

If we did do out of pocket... and we didn't do as many fun meals... we'd be REALLY sad...

Math is good. But with the QSDP you get 2 counter service meals & 2 snacks per night.

You really do have to run the numbers. For us, I thought booking at AKL with free DDP would be the best deal. Room only discount is much better for our family of 3 this trip at AKL. But since were military, it still can't come close to staying at SOG, renting a car, and paying OOP, no matter how much I try and fudge the numbers. The savings there is enough to cover the airfare, and that's with eating at 4 Signatures. If it was a closer gap I could justify it for convenience, but it's pretty significant.

Based on my experience at the IFWF this past October, $4 for a snack was on the low-end estimate as well, so that will offer you a bit more cushion in your overall savings.

Honestly, that festival was the best use of snacks I've ever had... Enjoy!

You really do have to run the numbers. For us, I thought booking at AKL with free DDP would be the best deal. Room only discount is much better for our family of 3 this trip at AKL. But since were military, it still can't come close to staying at SOG, renting a car, and paying OOP, no matter how much I try and fudge the numbers. The savings there is enough to cover the airfare, and that's with eating at 4 Signatures. If it was a closer gap I could justify it for convenience, but it's pretty significant.
It really is a YMMV kind of thing. It is only worthwhile if you have a specific set of circumstance, and even then, it may not be the cheapest option you can find.

Based on my experience at the IFWF this past October, $4 for a snack was on the low-end estimate as well, so that will offer you a bit more cushion in your overall savings.

Honestly, that festival was the best use of snacks I've ever had... Enjoy!

When my husband and I went for our Honeymoon back in September of '16, we use almost all of our snack credits at IFWF and really got our monies worth. I say some and not all because a rain/thunder storm knocked out their ability to use DP Credits for the better part of 2 hours (for some really strange reason that no one could explain) so we had to cut our IFWF tour short.

I have been wrestling with the same thing, upgrading to DXDDP with a stay at Pop. Thanks for figuring out all the math!

I have been wrestling with the same thing, upgrading to DXDDP with a stay at Pop. Thanks for figuring out all the math!
no problem! And if you want a more specific breakdown of cost/benfit analysis just let me know, I can make the numbers closer to your actual cost (math is fun)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter