• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Dinning - not again!

battricia said:
well it must have worked out for them last year, otherwise they wouldn't be offering it again this year!

tricia.

Well it didn't take long for someone to post this reply that I knew would come. ;)
Not so fast though, with a company as large as Disney, a "strategy" like this will often be implemented over a long period of time, even years, before a true verdict on success or failure is made. :surfweb:

We had planned for this coming August long before this promotion. I fact, while I will be one of the free grubbers for part of my vacation :smooth: and I will also be paying for the food for the portion of my vacation that that I will be staying on points. It's still a really good deal.

This will be the 4th year that we will be visiting in late August. It is one of the slowest times of the year, and they usually have a good promotion - 3 years ago they had a 7 for 4 day package. Yes, the restaurants are going to be crowded - we did see this past year, especially at the more popular destinations - but we did not see large variations in crowd levels at the parks.

If you are really looking for a special dining experience book it soon to make sure you don't miss out. With our free grubber meals I do have to do a bit of re-working from what I originally planned but I should be OK.

loriandmatt said:
ok - i get that this was an extremely good tool to draw folks into WDW last year and that for some this is a fantastic opertunity.....but.... for those of us with existing AP's who already have the DDE card, this free dinning frenzy creates havoc.

i can't tell you how stressful it was last fall. we couldn't get in anywhere and i was calling weeks in advance. everyplace was booked to the gills with free grubbers.

there goes my "relaxed - don't plan the fun out it" vacation plans. i now have to draw up spreadsheets and call like a mad woman to make dining plans. i wish there was a semi-realtime way to reserve dining plans online. a viewable calander with dates/times and availability that you could view, click on a desired date/time/restaurant and make a ressie. you could see on the calander what was available and what wasn't, so you wouldn't kill so much time.

that would be so much easier than calling over and over again trying to take a stab at a date/time/restaurant that coinsides with the park you want to visit that day only to find that each time you stab you hit a brick wall and have to change stratagy while on the phone with a CM (or keep calling back)

oy the maddness!

This is my family of six's first trip and mainly because of the free dining plan. Otherwise, we would be unable to afford the trip. If that makes us "free grubbers" I'm sorry. We would really like to experience Disney too.

Two more Free Grubbers here! We were fortunate enough to have it last year too & we had no problems getting ADRs prior to arrival nor any issues for the day of calls (with the exception of Chef Mickey's). Everything else we wanted we got. This year I think more people know about the free dining, so it may be different, but I've been able to make 4 ADR's w/no problems.

Why are they doing it this year? Simple...give people something great for free & some will come back and PAY for that same great thing, which they would have never thought of it before! In January we booked our Sept trip & decided that the DDP was so great last year we were willing to pay for it this year! Sure it was a lot of money up front, but then our food is paid for & based on what we ate last year we would have still saved about $100...sure not a lot, but still savings!

We're very excited to go back to the World, period...free dining just makes it easier on the pocketbook! :0)

Happy Dining Everyone!
Jen

I'm now a two time free grubber!!! Proud of it too. We'd have not been going without it and now we are. Say. Maybe the Op should post where it is they want to eat so we free grubbers will be sure not (wink wink) to reserve there.

EEyorelover22 said:
Okay...I'm reading this thread and all I can keep thinking is...

"Why is Disney doing this promotion?"
Any thoughts? Isn't travel up?
Is it really because of hurricane season?
What are they gaining?

I know, I'm thinking too much but what does Disney gain by free grubbers?
Additional people making plans that weren't going in the first place?
It seems like some were planning on going anyway and counting on this promo.

I was hoping to go this September, but the dinning plan made it possible. Also, 2 people are comming with me (knowing they won't have to save extra money to eat), and may even stay in a deluxe resort, insted of a moderate. I think a good number of people may upgrade, and if they REALLY like it, may choose to stay at a more costly resort in future, even when the dinning plan isn't free (if they have the money).

You have to keep in mind that for those of us who are in a certain salary bracket, eating in some of the Disney restaurants, and/or staying on property may be a bit of a squeeze. So the free dinning does make a big difference. Saving $500.00 on food, when you make that much or less a week, is a lot of money. I hope Disney will do this more often.

This thread is hiliriaous :rotfl2: ...I love the idea someone had about free grubbers t-shirts. :teeth:
I have a feeling that term is going to stick... :lmao:
Also free grubbing park hoggers.... :rotfl:

To be honest although iam a free grubber now...when I first heard of this promotion I was a little worried...Iam glad to be saving money but i was worried that the parks will be busier. :rolleyes:
But from all I have read about last yeard free dining...the parks were fine..the same as a usual late Aug...but the restaurants were busier...but this doesn't matter if we have our ADrs already. :banana:

kittythepoohbear said:
Hi loriandmatt! I am sure you will get tons of posts about this, but yes, you too can get the free grub! :teeth: You just need to purchase a package with a one day base ticket for everyone in your party. You then get free dining plan for the length of your stay. You can use your base ticket one day, then use your AP, or add no exp. to the ticket and use it at another time. This is what I did since I have 7 days left on my 10 day pass. Now go forth and get thee some free grub! :goodvibes

loriandmatt- I'm not an AP holder, but many people who are and have booked this package are holding onto the one day pass they needed to buy and will use it toward renewing their APs (or any ticket purchase for that matter) next year...might make a difference when you run those numbers. pixiedust:
Check out this link about 1 day tickets.

Just wondering, if free dining wasn't offered, would you not have to make ADR's? If I wanted a particular restaurant for one night, I always made ADR's, with or without free dining. Was it that much slower when free dining wasn't offered?

Count me in I am a two time free food grubber as well, Oh and in 2004, I got a free place to crash for three of the seven nights I was at POP and even had 3 days worth of free park tickets because Disney ran a 7 nights for the price of 4 during that fall value season. :rotfl2:

Call me a free loader :teeth:

Glendamax said:
I was hoping to go this September, but the dinning plan made it possible. Also, 2 people are comming with me (knowing they won't have to save extra money to eat), and may even stay in a deluxe resort, insted of a moderate. I think a good number of people may upgrade, and if they REALLY like it, may choose to stay at a more costly resort in future, even when the dinning plan isn't free (if they have the money).

You have to keep in mind that for those of us who are in a certain salary bracket, eating in some of the Disney restaurants, and/or staying on property may be a bit of a squeeze. So the free dinning does make a big difference. Saving $500.00 on food, when you make that much or less a week, is a lot of money. I hope Disney will do this more often.

I understand the money aspect for visitors. I'm a teacher so I get that. Disney is a business though and they aren't doing it to be "nice". I was asking from a business standpoint on Disney's part. In the end, it will hook more people, have more people take trips that weren't going, stay on property or upgrade although I don't see the savings as much for deluxe resorts. I ran some numbers for us, but that's because of where we eat as well. I kept reading more posts and in fact, people are going that weren't going to go, but there are still some that are moving trips that can to take advantage of the free dining. Disney will know if it's successful down the line as someone else posted. I also wondered if it was pulling people from the S&D because they have good rates during this time period. I saw a few posts of those people moving back to WDW property for the free dining.

I'm not knocking it, I just wondered from a business aspect the benefits for Disney. I suppose food is cheap for them :)

Another free grubber here :cool1: . I have a reservation with dreamsunlimited so will ring them and pay for it and use the premium annual pass that I thought I had lost!!!!!!

alite said:
Just wondering, if free dining wasn't offered, would you not have to make ADR's? If I wanted a particular restaurant for one night, I always made ADR's, with or without free dining. Was it that much slower when free dining wasn't offered?

I had already booked my trip and made my ADR's before the dining was free.
Nowadays with so many people using DDP even at cost there is a chance you won't get into a sit down restaurant. The last thing you want to do is schlep around the parks looking for a restaurant that isn't booked. Especially when you're hot, tired, hungry and have children who are in the same state!.

Magical JenK said:
...Why are they doing it this year? Simple...give people something great for free & some will come back and PAY for that same great thing, which they would have never thought of it before!..Happy Dining Everyone!
Jen

Respectfully I must totally disagree with this statement. Maybe this was your thought process and a few others but this definitely flies in the face of the facts regarding this business principle, which is why I believe (and probably the op) that it is a bad business decision. And let's face it folks that's what this is, a business decision.

On the surface this statement seems to logically make sense. But as has been proven over and over again by other large corporations and businesses when you give something for free you lower the value of it both in reality (real dollars) and perceived value by both the consumer and the business itself. When an item has a lowered value it's worth over time decays and is come to be seen as of no value sometimes even when prices come back. It is the fastest road to a lowering of the quality of the product or service. This is not my idea or something just pulled out of thin air but has been documented time and time again.

If Septemebr is slow and they want to increase the #'s they need to add value, not decrease it, which is what giving a freebie does. This does NOT mean they need to raise the costs or make things unaffordable, quite the contrary. It's another bad business decision by Disney in my opinion.

I don't know what's funnier, the "free grubbers" comments or the fact that so many took offense to it! :teeth:

See ya in Disney :wizard:

k5thbeatle said:
Respectfully I must totally disagree with this statement. Maybe this was your thought process and a few others but this definitely flies in the face of the facts regarding this business principle, which is why I believe (and probably the op) that it is a bad business decision. And let's face it folks that's what this is, a business decision.

On the surface this statement seems to logically make sense. But as has been proven over and over again by other large corporations and businesses when you give something for free you lower the value of it both in reality (real dollars) and perceived value by both the consumer and the business itself. When an item has a lowered value it's worth over time decays and is come to be seen as of no value sometimes even when prices come back. It is the fastest road to a lowering of the quality of the product or service. This is not my idea or something just pulled out of thin air but has been documented time and time again.

If Septemebr is slow and they want to increase the #'s they need to add value, not decrease it, which is what giving a freebie does. This does NOT mean they need to raise the costs or make things unaffordable, quite the contrary. It's another bad business decision by Disney in my opinion.

I don't know what's funnier, the "free grubbers" comments or the fact that so many took offense to it! :teeth:

See ya in Disney :wizard:

Without knowing what Disney knows about rack rates and per capita spending per day, your suggestion that providing "free" dining during sept. is a bad business decision is based on conjecture and assumptions of facts that you do not know.

Yes, it is possible that it may be a bad decision, but we don't know how much the average consumer spends over and above the dining plan for food, nor do we know what they spend on souveniers per day, etc. Plus, extending the stay using a plan that only covers (for most people) 2/3 of their meals, also encourages additional food spending.

pedro2112 said:
Without knowing what Disney knows about rack rates and per capita spending per day, your suggestion that providing "free" dining during sept. is a bad business decision is based on conjecture and assumptions of facts that you do not know.

Yes, it is possible that it may be a bad decision, but we don't know how much the average consumer spends over and above the dining plan for food, nor do we know what they spend on souveniers per day, etc. Plus, extending the stay using a plan that only covers (for most people) 2/3 of their meals, also encourages additional food spending.

True, I do not know this information. But I do know based on other corporate models that offering a "freebie" has a strong history of non-success. Thus I stand by my opinion!

Hey maybe you're one of those "free grubbers"! :rotfl2: :teeth:

Windy City Heather said:
I have an AP and a DDE card and I still called and booked my free dining. I made all my ADR's on Saturday and got everything I wanted and even the times I wanted. It is a great offer and I am glad Disney did it again this year.

I do agree online ADR system would be wonderful.

That's me exactly, except it was Tuesday! :teeth:

k5thbeatle said:
True, I do not know this information. But I do know based on other corporate models that offering a "freebie" has a strong history of non-success. Thus I stand by my opinion!

I totally get what you are saying. I'm a Busi. Admin. graduate.........I've read books that say some of the same things that you're saying.

And you might be right. It might end up to be a bad decision for Disney, who knows? Maybe in 5 years, we'll all be talking on the boards about the "good ol' free grubbin' days of Disney". :lmao:

But all I can tell you is this. We were planning on staying offsite this year at a timeshare that I was hoping to get for $1000 for two weeks. We have AP's so no need to buy more tickets. We would have had a kitchen, so I was going to cook most meals...grocery shopping.....$300. Then, we had planned on 3 nice sit down meals(5 of us) at WDW that I had budgeted at around $300-$350. I had the ADR's booked and was just waiting to get the timeshare.

Fast forward a couple months. Free dining comes out, I tell DH and we mull over the numbers and I say, wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to cook. ;) DH says, let's go for it.

We make ressies at POR, get the one day pass, that we will use next year, and book the package for $1879.00.

So........in my case....instead of WDW getting $300-$350 dollars from us, they are getting $1879.00. Disney's laughing all the way to the bank! :moped:

Now, I know in the long run this might not work out to be a "good thing" for Disney. Frankly, I'm not worried about that because one, I am not a shareholder and two, Disney will always do what is best for Disney. I am not worried about them at all.

I need not worry about it but take the good deals when they come. ::yes::

Mom of Sleepy said:
I totally get what you are saying. I'm a Busi. Admin. graduate.........I've read books that say some of the same things that you're saying.

And you might be right. It might end up to be a bad decision for Disney, who knows? Maybe in 5 years, we'll all be talking on the boards about the "good ol' free grubbin' days of Disney". :lmao:

But all I can tell you is this. We were planning on staying offsite this year at a timeshare that I was hoping to get for $1000 for two weeks. We have AP's so no need to buy more tickets. We would have had a kitchen, so I was going to cook most meals...grocery shopping.....$300. Then, we had planned on 3 nice sit down meals(5 of us) at WDW that I had budgeted at around $300-$350. I had the ADR's booked and was just waiting to get the timeshare.

Fast forward a couple months. Free dining comes out, I tell DH and we mull over the numbers and I say, wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to cook. ;) DH says, let's go for it.

We make ressies at POR, get the one day pass, that we will use next year, and book the package for $1879.00.

So........in my case....instead of WDW getting $300-$350 dollars from us, they are getting $1879.00. Disney's laughing all the way to the bank! :moped:

Now, I know in the long run this might not work out to be a "good thing" for Disney. Frankly, I'm not worried about that because one, I am not a shareholder and two, Disney will always do what is best for Disney. I am not worried about them at all.

I need not worry about it but take the good deals when they come. ::yes::

Good points. (well ok, except for this one:"Disney will always do what is best for Disney..." Oh boy is that one debatable! :goodvibes )
One thing for sure is that it is a good deal for anyone who is going at that time and is able to take advantage! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter