Free Dining?

GeminiAngel

Wherever you go, there you are.
How does this work? I've always just paid out of pocket and never even bothered to look at DP's. But for our next trip in 2018, we are planning lots of TS and Character meals. Wondering if its worth looking into a DP or book during a free dining period.

Currently for free dining, if you stay at a Deluxe or Moderate you will get the regular Disney Dining Plan which includes 1 QS meal, 1 TS meal, and 1 snack per person per night. If you stay a Value, you will get the Quick Service Dining Plan which includes 2 QS meals and 1 snack per person per night (you can upgrade to the regular dining plan for $20/person/night). All of the meal per room credits are pooled together and all of the magic bands can access all of them so theoretically you could use all of the credits in one day or one person could use everyone's snack credits up. If you were planning to stay Deluxe or Moderate to begin with, as well as experiencing a lot of TS and character meals, it may be worth it to you. However, you will be paying the full rate on the room and you will need to add either park hopper or waterpark fun and more options to your tickets. Paying OOP for the dining plan is really never a good value though I know some people will disagree. Free dining can be a great value, especially if you have a large party, but the rack rate for Deluxe or Moderate, plus ticket add ons, can be a lot of extra money if you weren't planing on booking that type of room or tickets in the first place.

Wow. That's a lot of planning on how to use the credits. LOL my daughter's head is spinning. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. If we were to get free dining, we would most likely stay at a Moderate.

You're welcome. It is definitely a lot of food and would involve lots of planning and ADR coordinating but can definitely be worth it if you plan accordingly and choose the more expensive TS and QS locations to get your money's worth!

We have only ever booked during free dining after it's been released. It's the main way to convince my husband to go. We both enjoy the "all inclusive" feeling of it. We usually stay moderate. He doesn't feel bad ordering steak and we don't feel bad not finishing our meals when we are full. It's also a treat to get dessert. I like not coming home with a huge credit card bill with the vacation food on it. That being said I would never pay for it ( I know we kinda pay for it with rake room and park hoppers but we go during value season and want hoppers anyways). One problem with depending of free dining is sometimes you are already well within your ADR booking window before they even announce it. If I was you I'd look at historical past free dining times, book your vacation during these times and make ADRS assuming you will get it. ( if you have flexibility enough to do so) If they don't release it then cut back on some of the dining you aren't really passionate about. The dining plan really gives you more food than you need. Also if you have never looked into it before it may be worth looking at the placing you were hoping to eat in the dining plan brochure. Some more popular places or fancier places are 2 credits which may change your mind.

We have only ever booked during free dining after it's been released. It's the main way to convince my husband to go. We both enjoy the "all inclusive" feeling of it. We usually stay moderate. He doesn't feel bad ordering steak and we don't feel bad not finishing our meals when we are full. It's also a treat to get dessert. I like not coming home with a huge credit card bill with the vacation food on it. That being said I would never pay for it ( I know we kinda pay for it with rake room and park hoppers but we go during value season and want hoppers anyways). One problem with depending of free dining is sometimes you are already well within your ADR booking window before they even announce it. If I was you I'd look at historical past free dining times, book your vacation during these times and make ADRS assuming you will get it. ( if you have flexibility enough to do so) If they don't release it then cut back on some of the dining you aren't really passionate about. The dining plan really gives you more food than you need. Also if you have never looked into it before it may be worth looking at the placing you were hoping to eat in the dining plan brochure. Some more popular places or fancier places are 2 credits which may change your mind.

A lot of what we picked is part of my problem. Quite a few are 2 credits, so i figured if I can book during free dining it would really help out with some of those costs.

Free dining dates have been getting fewer and fewer. You need to at least check this year's dates to see what dates MAY be available come 2018. I would then also keep an eye on next year's dates and the details for what is required. There will be a "look out" type thread well before it is announced. Check that thread once a week or so in order to be in the know when 2018 rolls around.

Who knows? By 2018 there may not be any free dining. That would be my luck. :sad2::crazy:

Just for clarification, the DDPs described above by PP are the 2016 plans. In 2017, the dessert portion of all QS meals is taken away, and you only get your entree and non-alcoholic drink at QS. TS still gets dessert. However, for both the QSDP and the regular DDP, you will get 2 snacks per night of stay instead of just one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter