Free dining - what should I expect?

SteveInBrooklyn

Ah, Florida! Beautiful weather, harsh penal system
I'll be travelling to Disney World during the free dining period. What should I expect? Will it be crowded? Will any of the table service restaurants be accessible without an ADR? What's it like, in general?

First off, I've never used DDP. Since I stay at DVC on points, I do not qualify for DDP. I am an Annual Pass Holder and have the DDE card. Between the AP, DDE card and my DVC membership, I get the discounts that work for me. I do not want to plan every single meal I eat. It's too much like work.

Depending on when exactly you go, the parks may or may not be crowded. If you go in late Sept, you'll be hitting the start of Food & Wine. If there are specific places you wish to eat, you need to make ADRs at the 180 day mark.

I was there last September during free dining. I had made reservations for Boma several weeks before. We walked-in and found the waiting area to be jammed packed. There were a number of people attempting to get a walk-up reservation. In many cases was not happening or folks were being told that wait was over 2 hours. I've also heard numerous complaints about people having left over credits and not being able to use them for what they wanted.

If this is something you are going to do, plan on lots of planning.

I would make Advance plans for all your Table Services. OTherwise you may be stuck eating at places you don't want, or not getting a table at all. I have used the Dinning plan 2 Septmebers in a row. Plan Plan Plan:goodvibes

I don't really like to plan, I prefer to take things as they come. And I hate crowds. I'm wondering if I should reschedule.

I don't really like to plan, I prefer to take things as they come. And I hate crowds. I'm wondering if I should reschedule.

You may want to reconsider this then.

Can we interest you in a cruise in May of 2009?

Please DO make advanced reservations as even in off times the better places are full- we're going in Sept and i've reserved some of our favourites..Le Cellier in Canada, Primetime Cafe in Hollywoodland, and we love the dinner buffet @ Hollywood n Vine with VIP seats to Fantasmic in [HLYW land]. Good Luck!

September has, in the past, been a slow time for WDW. Kids are back in school. DDP was started to get people into the parks during times like this. I go in late September, for the start of F&W. Is it crowded? Probably not when you campare it to going during the summer or at Easter/Spring break. I find it manageable and with the use of FP, can get on what I want to see. I really don't do a comando style of touring anymore.

We did free dining from 9/16-9/22 last year - 9/22 was last day of free dining. We would have booked again using bounceback offer, but bought DVC instead. The parks weren't crowded compared to other times of the year and weather was great. But you must make ressies for table service ASAP or you may not be able to eat at table service restaurants btw 5 and 8pm.

We've done the free dining twice and found the crowds reasonable both times. We've never had trouble getting ressies at the places we wanted (Le Cellier, O'hana, CRT, etc) and I don't usually make mine 180 days out.

We did the free dining this past August/September. You definitely do need to make ADRs. The restaurants are very busy during free dining, but the parks are not bad at all. It's definitely worth just planning one sit down meal a day to get the free dining. And you still have the freedom to eat whenever and wherever with your CS credit. It is a truly an amazing money saver to go during free dining. :) :)

Just wanted to add, I did have trouble getting reservations closer to the travel date (probably 60 days out). We made our ADRs at 180 days out, but as time went by I altered our itinerary, canceled the original ADRs and tried to get different ADRs. Many restaurants were completely booked and we had to try a few before we would finally find one with an opening...and the openings were always not in that peak dining time.

My husband and I did free dining last year and we LOVED it! We were able to eat at restaurants that we would not otherwise pay for. It is true that you have to make your table service ADR's in advance, but that is only one meal per day. Just booked for Free Dining 2008!

we have done it twice and just booked for 2008-:goodvibes plan plan plan
its hot as heck in Sept but not too crowded, plan your dining asap
Look for us!!:rotfl2:

First off, I've never used DDP. Since I stay at DVC on points, I do not qualify for DDP.

You're eligible for the DDP when staying on DVC points. I've been told, however, that the free dining promotion is not available when staying on DVC points.

Not wanting to plan doesn't bode well if you're looking to come during free dining. While I don't see why people equate the dining plan with tons of planning (I thought it was dead simple), a lot of people will be making reservations for free dining, and trying to walk up to a restaurant in the hopes you'll get a table is pointless. Keep in mind that you only need to plan out your table-service restaurants in advance (just one per day, typically).

Crowds will be relatively low. The restaurants are so busy due to the free dining plan drawing more people in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter