Free Dining Released

As I mentioned earlier, we booked FD for the first time ever this fall for my DD birthday. We quickly decided on a Tuesday-Sunday as that fit best in our schedule. After a little more thought, we might could actually go Sunday-Saturday or even Sunday-Sunday. But when I went on to see availability there wasn’t any to add the 2 days bc it wasn’t an option. Has anyone had any luck changing your reservation slightly? we would mostly likely be adding a Sunday and Monday night so I’m hoping my chances are better there than a weekend. I’ll try calling tomorrow but was hoping for some positive experiences from past FD guests! Thanks!

Has anyone had any luck changing your reservation slightly?
As long as your arrival date still falls within the days specified for the FD promo, you could call 1-407-939-1936 and request it be changed. Another number is 1-407-939-5277 but think I called the 1936 line and it was faster. I called Wed late afternoon to modify mine by a week. I couldn't find any way to modify my dates online. I was lucky and had an agent within 5 minutes and changed dates within 10 mins on the phone. Small price increase of $5 for my new dates. Good luck!

As long as your arrival date still falls within the days specified for the FD promo, you could call 1-407-939-1936 and request it be changed. Another number is 1-407-939-5277 but think I called the 1936 line and it was faster. I called Wed late afternoon to modify mine by a week. I couldn't find any way to modify my dates online. I was lucky and had an agent within 5 minutes and changed dates within 10 mins on the phone. Small price increase of $5 for my new dates. Good luck!

Thank you so much! Fixing to try in just a bit when I get the baby down in case it takes awhile. I will try the first number first.

This is why I was so glad we use a Disney travel agent (friend of mine's Mom) to book our vacation. My husband and I (no kids) were booked at French Quarter June 26-July 4. We called her right after free dining was announced and she shifted our dates so not being on hold :).

We had to move to Riverside and upgrade to park hopper, but changing the dates to July 5-13 and even with upgrading the quick service plan one step up, doing this made our trip $600 cheaper! I know some of that was our choice to try and see July 4 celebrations, but my husband and I are very happy with our choice to move.

Now we have to try and move all the dining reservations we still have on our new 180 day mark this Sunday - fingers crossed!

we have reservations at the end of Oct with dining package.....i am seriously contemplating moving it up a month to get free dining. For 9 of us we would save roughly 1300......but that's a LONG time to be on hold. lol.

we have reservations at the end of Oct with dining package.....i am seriously contemplating moving it up a month to get free dining. For 9 of us we would save roughly 1300......but that's a LONG time to be on hold. lol.

I would think the hold times are better by now?

I am trying to convince my DH that we can totally swing a trip this year, especially if we do FD! We have never done any form of the Dining Plan before so just one question. If we are able to book Free Dining and for whatever reason can't swing it financially, are we able to cancel our reservation as long as it falls outside of 30 days before? I want to get my spiel ready for when I see my husband lol.

Has anyone tried switching to FD package from a room only that was purchased through Priceline or Hotwire? Just curious how that would go down and what valuation would be put on the room.

So I tried switching this morning and was only on hold for about 5 minutes but wasn’t able to add two days as it was all booked! Not surprising, but still aggravating as well. They had other resorts available but my DH is set on Pop Century (he loves the renovated rooms) and the week is set in stone as we are visiting for DDs 8th Birthday. Still have free dining from Tues-Sunday so not all is lost! Lol

I am trying to convince my DH that we can totally swing a trip this year, especially if we do FD! We have never done any form of the Dining Plan before so just one question. If we are able to book Free Dining and for whatever reason can't swing it financially, are we able to cancel our reservation as long as it falls outside of 30 days before? I want to get my spiel ready for when I see my husband lol.

I'm not sure when the cut-off is, but you will be given a paid-in-full date, and you can cancel up until that date for a full refund.

Has anyone tried switching to FD package from a room only that was purchased through Priceline or Hotwire? Just curious how that would go down and what valuation would be put on the room.

You wouldn't be able to "switch" in this scenario. You would have to book a completely new package through Disney and then go cancel your room through the other agency. Free dining requires you to pay full rack rate for the room and can only be booked through Disney or Disney approved TAs.

Seeing all the excitement for FD has me a little bitter about our December trip. I just HAD to go and have myself a Christmas baby LOL.

I'm not sure when the cut-off is, but you will be given a paid-in-full date, and you can cancel up until that date for a full refund.

You wouldn't be able to "switch" in this scenario. You would have to book a completely new package through Disney and then go cancel your room through the other agency. Free dining requires you to pay full rack rate for the room and can only be booked through Disney or Disney approved TAs.

Makes sense. Ended up biting the bullet anyway and booked the package for an additional 5 days at the front end of our trip! We upgraded the dining package to the TS dining, and got longer park hoppers that would cover both the FD and the Priceline reservations. It still saved us $500 over booking a different offsite stay for the same length of time and getting non-hopper tickets.

This is the first trip we are going on that we AREN'T taking advantage of Free Dining.
We are so used to it it's going to be difficult paying for food, but we decided staying at Deluxe resorts for 1/2 the price and paying via DVC rental is going to be way better for us this time. We have two small kids and I'm so tired of the over crowded buses at the Values.

I have been saving for a Mother Daughter trip that works around the school schedule.
That leaves us with ...
Thanksgiving (decorations & good weather, high crowds and costs) No Water Parks
Spring Break Flower & Garden Festival (good weather, medium crowds, high costs) Yes Water Parks
or
Summer - the heat scares me
But we took the plunge this time

Flying from the San Francisco Bay Area - Southwest had nonstop flights for $172 each leg
July 6 to July 30 - Two week trip!!
Staying at Pop Century
Free Dining - upgraded to Regular Dining ($700 for 14 nights - $25pp/night)
10 Hopper Plus - Water Parks are a top Must Do for DD.

I have the money saved in advance
I can wait for GE - next time Chewie
Park days chosen, meal choices ready, FP in progress
I will be here (on the DIS) a lot doing research

Thank you DIS for the heads up about Free Dining
and the wisdom to know this was a good deal (for us) for what I wanted.

For free dining you must have a park hopper pass (not everyone wants a park hopper) and pay Rack Rate for the room with NO discounts allowed. I would play with the numbers before jumping on the free dining option. For some it may save them money, but a cheaper room per night goes a long ways to cover food costs.

Saw this on Sunday. Instantly booked it. Played with the dates, decided on mid-July, 13-17, $3900 at Wilderness Lodge (after going down a day on tickets from the default). Wasn't expecting to have to start a dining spreadsheet so soon - picks will be made in about a week!

2 Adults, 1 6 y/o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter