Free dining, family of 5. Hotel advice needed.

Joy Sneed

Earning My Ears
Hey guys. Several years ago I considered myself a Disney expert, I spent hoards of time on these boards and knew the ins and outs of everything. Fast forward 4 years, and 2 more kids later and I feel lost. I have managed to figure out that Free Dining Dates are soon to be released but can someone shed some insight as to what the most cost effective way is for a family of 5? I know lots of you experts know this off the top of your head......

I am by no means against a value resort, but don't know if 2 rooms at a value or one of the rooms that accommodate 5 at a moderate, or even one of the family suites at a new value is the way to go.

Thanks so, so much to those of you with the know how for pointing me in the right direction. I feel like I am so far behind on planning!!

Hey guys. Several years ago I considered myself a Disney expert, I spent hoards of time on these boards and knew the ins and outs of everything. Fast forward 4 years, and 2 more kids later and I feel lost. I have managed to figure out that Free Dining Dates are soon to be released but can someone shed some insight as to what the most cost effective way is for a family of 5? I know lots of you experts know this off the top of your head......

I am by no means against a value resort, but don't know if 2 rooms at a value or one of the rooms that accommodate 5 at a moderate, or even one of the family suites at a new value is the way to go.

Thanks so, so much to those of you with the know how for pointing me in the right direction. I feel like I am so far behind on planning!!
I would either do Port Orleans Riverside, which can accommodate 5, or the family suites at All Stars or AOA. If you have a decent size budget, maybe even the cabins at FW? Those sleep 6.

You didn't say ages but will guess they are younger ...

POR (if your dates are part of it), CBR, FW Cabin - one room full price, gives you the DDP.

AoA or ASMu Family Suites - suite for full price, gives you the QSDP. If you want DDP you will have to pay difference.

Compare the rack rates of all of these and see how it shakes out.

2 Rooms at a Value may not be a good dollar value and not guaranteed to be together.

I'll throw it out there, for a family of 5 (we're one too), consider off site. From what I saw, on site suites are $400/night and up. You will literally pay 1/4 that or less off site and have a bigger place.

Others have already covered your options. Unless one of your kids is under 3 and can still sleep in Pack n Play. Then you can stay in any 4 person room.

Free dining might be a good deal for your family if you fill up one room. Getting two separate values or moderates the math probably won't work out to save you money. If there is another discount offered at the same time I'd compare using that discount and paying for the dining plan or just doing dining OOP. You might be surprised.

We are also a family of 5. The last couple of trips we have done 2 rooms at a value, I think the first time I did it I booked with travelocity, and got them at around $90 a night each, which at the time was a lot better than 1 moderate room or a suite. We have also stayed in the all star music suites a few times. Both are very good options. The downside of booking a value for free dining is that you will only get the quick service option, you can upgrade and pay to get the regular dining. You will have to do the math and see which works out better for you. Anyway, for us having 2 bathrooms in a suite or the 2 connecting rooms is worth it. We have also stayed in 1 room mod that fits 5, but just for a couple days. It was cramped, and the bathroom situation took some timing but it was OK.

For those of you that have had connecting rooms, does Disney guarantee that you'll get them? I was under the impression that they can't guarantee connecting rooms.

I would see about renting points for a DVC. A family of five might be more comfortable. Compare the price and value of resort rack rate with free QS dining, as opposed to a good deal on a DVC point rental and purchased QS dining. Lots of DVC owners on the DIS with points to rent can give you exactly what the cost would be for your chosen dates/ preferred resort.

Also consider that the beds would be full and not queen in a value/mod. So I'd be considerate of whether or not that would be a comfortable accommodation for your family specifically.

we loved POR. Next trip we are renting DVC points and staying at CBR, its a little bit more roomy. My kids will be 8 6 and 4. POR was great but the room was a bit tight.

For those of you that have had connecting rooms, does Disney guarantee that you'll get them? I was under the impression that they can't guarantee connecting rooms.
They do NOT guarantee connecting rooms. It is a request like all others no matter what a CM may say. We have seen again and again and again people get told they are "guaranteed" connecting rooms for whatever reason and then get told otherwise when they arrive. So do NOT believe any CM saying it's guaranteed.

Book what you can afford and don't rely on free dining. This latest round of discounts was slim because bookings are steady. If bookings remain steady then there's no need to put out a promotion to fill rooms.

They do NOT guarantee connecting rooms. It is a request like all others no matter what a CM may say. We have seen again and again and again people get told they are "guaranteed" connecting rooms for whatever reason and then get told otherwise when they arrive. So do NOT believe any CM saying it's guaranteed.
Thank you - that's what I thought. Another reason we stay at WBC - needed connecting rooms but not having them guaranteed would seriously stress me out.

Depends how old the kids are. When ours were little we did POR and BWI with five in a room. Then when they were teens we stayed at ASM with a family suite - the extra room and bath made a world of difference!

We have a family of 5 and rent DVC. The dining plan is overkill for us, as we don't eat anywhere near that much even on the regular plan.

IF free dining is released, the most economical (or option with most value), will most likely be a mod as you can fit 5 and you will get the regular DDP. I would suggest POR or POFQ as CBR and CSR are about to undergo major construction.

IF free dining is released, the most economical (or option with most value), will most likely be a mod as you can fit 5 and you will get the regular DDP. I would suggest POR or POFQ as CBR and CSR are about to undergo major construction.
Not all mods fit 5. POFQ has 4 person rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter