Free Dining and Reservations Question

BreeK

Earning My Ears
We're planning our first trip to WDW (me, husband, 4 year old daughter, 2 year old son). We want to go in August 2010 (based on my husband's work schedule). Many of the restaurants we want to visit are popular, so I know we should make reservations 180 out (so February 2010). I've heard that Disney often announces free dining packages in April for August and September.

I'd like to take advantage of the free dining, but I'm unsure as to whether dining reservations are connected to trip packages. Can I make dining reservations without having the details of the trip booked? How do I go about doing that?

*Do I just make dining reservations in February then hope to book a package in April that includes free dining?
*Do I make all my reservations (dining and resort) in February, then if the offer comes out in April, will it be retroactive?
*Do I wait until the package is announced in April to make reservations and hope that I can get in somewhere?

Thanks for any tips you can give me. I'm sure you can tell that as a "longtime lurker, first time poster" I'm still mostly confused. :)

Welcome to the boards, there is a ton of info here and friendly people. I am sure others will be along to answer most of your questions.

I can tell you that your ressies are not attached to your package, meaning if you scedule ADRs and cancel your trip they don't automatically cancel them.
And I do know you can make ADRs without having a trip scheduled, but I am not sure how. But it isn't 180 days out, that is just for those who are staying onsite and have vacations booked already.

Wish I could tell you more, but I am still learning as well.

You can make reservation 180 days out no matter where you are staying- you just can't make them 180 days out plus 10. The biggest question you might have is when free dining might start and if you will have to change trip dates to co-ordinate (therefore losing some reservations).

We're planning a trip the end of August and had all of the same questions! We're going to go ahead with our ADR's and just hope that free dining is announced in April. We will certainly be cancelling some of our ARD's if it's not... and changing to less expensive ones! LOL We have our flights booked, and a "back up" room at Pop Century just in case we end up having to pay for food. If / when the free dining is announced we'll book a moderate hotel, and cancel POP.. and then the dining reservations will be all set. Hope it works out for you guys too! :)

But is it 180 days out from the first day of your ressie, or do I need to call 180 days out from day one, call back the next day for day two, etc, etc. Did that make any sense?:confused3 What I'm basically asking is if I can make my seven ressies all at once or do I need to do it day by day?

Thanks for all your help!

You can make your dining reservations all at once at 180 days from the first date of your vacation (up to 10 days) only if you already have a reservation at a Disney resort. You'll be required to provide a resort confirmation number to access 180 + 10 restaurant booking. If you don't have a Disney resort reservation, you will have to make them at 180 days from each day you wish to dine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter