Free checked bag with airlines credit card

HHMcG

DIS Veteran
I feel like this is a stupid question but I want to make sure

DH just got the AAdvantage Citi card. We used it to buy our outgoing flights for our "big trip out west" this summer. One of the perks is free checked bag for each member of our reservation. How do I go about claiming our free checked bag? I'm thinking when I'm checking in at the counter I handle it then. But I am so used to paying for my bags online ahead of time. I don't want to screw up and get charged the at-the-counter rate.

I will be applying for the Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express for our return flight. Same perk. I assume it is handled the same way?

TIA

We have a United card and do check in 24 hrs before flight. The $0 bag charge shows in app (or on website) when doing check in.

I have the delta skymikes and I show my card at the baggage counter. So if you wait till then it still works. At least that is the case with delta

One thing to be aware of is if you didn't buy your tickets with the credit card in question, you can have problems claiming the free bags.

United's conditions require you to have purchased the ticket with their card. If you didn't, too bad - no free bag. If you did, then you get the free bag automatically - when you go to check it, the fee will just be $0. This is true whether you check the bag online, or at the airport.

American's conditions were vaguer the last time I read them. I had purchased a ticket with a different card, and when I asked to get the bag free because I had the American card, the agent started to balk. I argued back that the terms and conditions didn't state that the tickets had to be purchased with the card, and she said "it's not worth arguing with you types" and gave me the bags free. (When I do fly with tickets purchased on the card, again I get the free bag automatically)

I don't know about Delta's, since I never fly them.

Sounds like you should be good since you said you were going to use the card to buy your tickets, but just be aware should that plan change.

I, too, have the Delta Amex. It automatically gives 1 free checked bag for people on your ressie (up to 10), for domestic flights.

The only time I've EVER been questioned about it was at Disney's resort airline checkin. I now simply tell them I've already paid, and we're good to go.

I'll also add, last time we flew, earlier this month, 2 of our tickets were bought with miles. I was able to get the bags free even though the flight didn't cost anything. But I did have to give her my card to get the free bags.

I have the JB Plus card and the free bags show in my reservation. However last time I flew it originally showed the free bags for a few weeks. Then I went to check something and it showed I didn't have free bags. I called and the rep said she was showing that I had free bags and it was probably a glitch on the website and it should change back. She said to be safe to have my JB Plus card handy when checking the bags. It never changed but when I checked in at the airport I didn't get charged.

if you can't find it on your res call the airline and ask.

I feel like this is a stupid question but I want to make sure

DH just got the AAdvantage Citi card. We used it to buy our outgoing flights for our "big trip out west" this summer. One of the perks is free checked bag for each member of our reservation. How do I go about claiming our free checked bag? I'm thinking when I'm checking in at the counter I handle it then. But I am so used to paying for my bags online ahead of time. I don't want to screw up and get charged the at-the-counter rate.

I will be applying for the Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express for our return flight. Same perk. I assume it is handled the same way?

TIA

I've had an AAdvantage card with free checked bag for several years now and another card which gives a free checked bag on several different airlines. I have had them ask to see my card before allowing the free checked bag. Sometimes I have noticed the free bag not showing up on my reservation but just by showing my card they always very graciously let me check a bag for free.

I've been told by one of American's agents sometimes it only shows on their side and sometimes they have to look to make sure you booked with your card. She did not say so, but I think they asked for my card to check the last four digits matched.

I would estimate I have utilized this perk on at least 25 flights with no real difficulty. I also found out a few years ago if you've booked with points on American and paid the small fee they charge using the AAdvantage card they will give you one extra checked bag at no charge if you ask at least on international flights.

I have the citi aadvantage card. I did not purchase my airline tickets with my card, but i did add the card to my profile as stated under the small print. Since my card was register under my aadvantage reward number i did not have to show my card for my ticket stated i am an card member. On my way to Orlando i went to the ticket counter to check our bags and leaving from Florida i check in at the kiosk and printed my bag tag there. No time did a charge appear nor did i have to pull out the card.

I'll add that we have the AA card as well and even if we don't book the tickets on the card, we just show it to the agent at baggage check and it goes through. It seems to click better if it's my husband checking in, because he's the primary cardholder and the account is linked to his frequent flier number.

PHXscuba

FYI: United is the only major airline that requires you book the ticket with their credit card to get the free bag benefit.

I currently hold an AA and a Delta and both of them automatically give the free bag at check-in. If you don't see the free bag benefit showing WAIT until you are at the airport and try to have the attendant there handle it. Always easier than trying to fight the airline/credit card company after the fact for a refund.

I've had an AAdvantage card with free checked bag for several years now and another card which gives a free checked bag on several different airlines. I have had them ask to see my card before allowing the free checked bag. Sometimes I have noticed the free bag not showing up on my reservation but just by showing my card they always very graciously let me check a bag for free.

I've been told by one of American's agents sometimes it only shows on their side and sometimes they have to look to make sure you booked with your card. She did not say so, but I think they asked for my card to check the last four digits matched.

I would estimate I have utilized this perk on at least 25 flights with no real difficulty. I also found out a few years ago if you've booked with points on American and paid the small fee they charge using the AAdvantage card they will give you one extra checked bag at no charge if you ask at least on international flights.
"For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel, and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled."

The agent was wrong, the only thing you need is a ff number on your account 7 days prior to departure that matches the ff# you have on your credit card. AA members get the free bag no matter what card you purchased the res on- even if it's an award flight paid with fees paid on another credit card. Only thing is you gotta make sure your AA number is attached to the res. If you ever get an agent who insists on charging you complain to the credit card company and airline and you should see a refund.

As for when it doesn't work right my suspicion is that's just Citi IT being it's normal, horrible self.

Last edited:
I'm so excited, between statement credits and free checked bags, these two cards will save us $550-$600 (depending on how many bags we need to check). This is our biggest trip ever so every little bit helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter