• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

And when was Lord of the Rings written? Seems to be a franchise that is still doing well.

Edited to add: And Disney themselves seem to think that books written decades ago are worth keeping alive, hence the much maligned John Carter (which I personally enjoyed because I read the books as a kid).

Between 1937 and 1949...before Disneyland.

Because they aren't based on a tween book that was popular for a total of 15 years? Because they've been mainstays of the most popular theme park in the world for 30 years?

Besides, that was my response when the PP asked if there were 20 year old rides that draw people to WDW...and those were the responses off of the top of my head? Had nothing to do with comparing them to Universal.

I'm not saying Potter-world/Ville/Land isn't the Bee's knees. But everyone points to that is an example of "how much better Universal is doing in Disney at everything." My original point was, and remains, that Harry Potter, the phenomenon, will evaporate as being such a big deal. Right now it is a very big deal, because there is a huge age group that grew up with the Potter books and movies. Those people get older and their children will probably not have the same fascination. Therefore as someone said before, Universal will have the option in 20 years of tearing the whole thing down and putting something new there. But Disney doesn't have to do that. Their rides have staying power as evidenced by the several I listed earlier that are still favorites and have been there for 30 years.

So why don't you think the Forbidden Journey will have staying power? It is based upon fantasy, with dragons and giants and boogey men and magic wands and spells. None of those things go out of style. Even if the names of the characters aren't familiar, the ride still works. There are tons of people who know nothing about Harry Potter and think that the entire area and ride are fantastic.

Have you ever been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Many of the things you are praising in the rides in WDW are very similar to elements in many of Universal's rides.

So why don't you think the Forbidden Journey will have staying power? It is based upon fantasy, with dragons and giants and boogey men and magic wands and spells. None of those things go out of style. Even if the names of the characters aren't familiar, the ride still works. There are tons of people who know nothing about Harry Potter and think that the entire area and ride are fantastic.

Have you ever been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Many of the things you are praising in the rides in WDW are very similar to elements in many of Universal's rides.

...my point is that I'm not going to trek all the way to USF, cab-car-hotel-tickets, etc, for two days just to go to see Harry Potter. I'm sure it's very cool and I'm sure the books were amazing. I don't go places for one attraction. Right now, HP is a huge draw. I don't think it will be as amazing or crowd-inducing once the novelty has worn off a bit.
But frankly, I don't really care. It's nearly 10pm, so I'll leave it at my usual go-to statement: please visit USF/IoA. For days and days and days. Do NOT go to WDW, esp. In mid-July or for F&W in November. :-)

Darn! I broke my own rule! I'm supposed to stay on topic FP+ and Magic Bands and I got sucked in. My own fault. Well, thanks Michigan DVC. It was a lively discussion but it was off topic. :guilty:

...my point is that I'm not going to trek all the way to USF, cab-car-hotel-tickets, etc, for two days just to go to see Harry Potter. I'm sure it's very cool and I'm sure the books were amazing. I don't go places for one attraction. Right now, HP is a huge draw. I don't think it will be as amazing or crowd-inducing once the novelty has worn off a but.

Fwiw we went to UO for HP. Decided to do it right and planned to spend 4 days there. Fell in LOVE. We don't even ride everything but live the place madly. You might think that all you would like is HP but you might be surprised.

As for rides based on things that seem like a flash in the pan, remember wdw just had star wars weekends. :)

Darn! I broke my own rule! I'm supposed to stay on topic FP+ and Magic Bands and I got sucked in. My own fault. Well, thanks Michigan DVC. It was a lively discussion but it was off topic. :guilty:

The discussion about Universal really isn't off topic. When we are discussing the pros and cons of FP+, one of the cons is that many people would prefer that WDW take the route that Universal is taking. Dissecting those options of adding or not adding new rides is part of the discussion as a whole.

It is interesting to listen to those people who prefer never to set foot out of WDW, think other parks have nothing that would interest them and love the nostalgia instead of new attractions. Those people may love Fastpass+. Others who have ventured out to other places and have experienced what other parks have to offer, may prefer that WDW spend their money in a different manner.

Fwiw we went to UO for HP. Decided to do it right and planned to spend 4 days there. Fell in LOVE. We don't even ride everything but live the place madly. You might think that all you would like is HP but you might be surprised.

As for rides based on things that seem like a flash in the pan, remember wdw just had star wars weekends. :)

So did I. Turns out they have other attractions there too.

100% agree

I guess I can see the idea behind this but FD is offered at slower times of year. Why would more FP+ be needed?
I, for one, will not pay the outrageous rack rates so I can have couple extra FP+. I am very nervous our Wdw vacations are numbered after all I have been reading. So sad.

I guess I can see the idea behind this but FD is offered at slower times of year. Why would more FP+ be needed?
I, for one, will not pay the outrageous rack rates so I can have couple extra FP+. I am very nervous our Wdw vacations are numbered after all I have been reading. So sad.

Assuming this is the plan, if extra FP+ is enough to fill the resort's - or at least bring in as much revenue as FD - then FD will go away. If resort's stay empty as people wait for FD then the discounts will continue.

The discussion about Universal really isn't off topic. When we are discussing the pros and cons of FP+, one of the cons is that many people would prefer that WDW take the route that Universal is taking. Dissecting those options of adding or not adding new rides is part of the discussion as a whole.

It is interesting to listen to those people who prefer never to set foot out of WDW, think other parks have nothing that would interest them and love the nostalgia instead of new attractions. Those people may love Fastpass+. Others who have ventured out to other places and have experienced what other parks have to offer, may prefer that WDW spend their money in a different manner.

Thank you damo, I actually did do 4 nights and 5 days at US/IOA when my two youngest were teens. This was because I wanted to go BTW. Everyone had a great time and that was BEFORE Harry Potter. I went on a split trip between Disney and US/IOA after Harry Potter sans kids. Loved it. Last year I visited DD24 in California where she is studying to become an animator and went to DL/CA and USH. I am a theme park fan and frequently check updates online for ALL theme parks in the US and overseas. I must admit, Disney seems to be doing more in Hong Kong and Shanghai than they are doing here. Here, we get a 1BN investment in tech and there they get new rides.

Maybe I don't get it because I've never been there under the current FP system. :confused3 As a kid (went 4 times) waiting in line was just something you did at Disney. They still had huge crowds and I know I never complained about waiting.

At the other parks I've gone to recently we didn't use FP (not sure they have them). In Paris never waited more than 15 minutes for anything and walked right on to Space Mountain and several main attractions. In Tokyo the only thing we waited for more than 15 minutes was the talking turtle experience which was brand new, turned out to be a show in Japanese so a total bummer for us. Still my kids thought it was cute and the line had a fun theme. My Izzy played with a little girl of about the same age with zero languages between them and never complained.

So yeah, I can't imagine saying "I'll never go back to Disney without x number of FP per day." Just seems like a shame when you (general you not pointing to one person) say you LOVE the park so much.

So Disney has this multi billion dollar vacation resort for 42 years ,starting with 1 theme park 2 hotels and a campground, and yet so many of you think they don't know what they're doing???????????:rotfl2:
John Carter ? What about Battleship from the folks at Universal ? US might have shut down had Comcast not purchased them.

This is one of the funniest threads I've read here Thanks for the entertainment!

I was not suggesting "a few extra FP+". I was suggesting, possibly, "unlimited FP+" during slow times as an incentive. Sort of similar to US/IOA for onsite hotels but for everyone if they buy tickets in advance and book their day. It would not cost them anything additional but it would be cool to have everything you wanted on your reservation including parades and fireworks. If they tripled the number of FP+, you could essentially do everything you wanted and have premier viewing for parades and fireworks and the cost to Disney is, well, electricity?

Does it really matter what books are out or even movies? How many books has there been that feature Mickey Mouse lately? I don't see that hurting him.

I see both Star Wars and Harry Potter being around forever. However any good ride will survive in some capacity no matter who it features. See Splash Mountain for another example. Or Tower of Terror. How old is the Twilight Zone? I could go on and on...

Again, there are plenty of people older like me in the Universal parks when we go. We are not an endangered species. Just like there are plenty of teens at WDW.

I was not suggesting "a few extra FP+". I was suggesting, possibly, "unlimited FP+" during slow times as an incentive. Sort of similar to US/IOA for onsite hotels but for everyone if they buy tickets in advance and book their day. It would not cost them anything additional but it would be cool to have everything you wanted on your reservation including parades and fireworks. If they tripled the number of FP+, you could essentially do everything you wanted and have premier viewing for parades and fireworks and the cost to Disney is, well, electricity?

But can't you pretty much do this anyway during slow time? Isn't that why they call it slow time and isn't this why lots of people say it is best to go during a slow time? I really can't say since we always go in June but with the current FP system we generally do everything you stated above and it isn't slow time just by being there are RD and staying until close.

Does it really matter what books are out or even movies? How many books has there been that feature Mickey Mouse lately? I don't see that hurting him.

I see both Star Wars and Harry Potter being around forever. However any good ride will survive in some capacity no matter who it features. See Splash Mountain for another example. Or Tower of Terror. How old is the Twilight Zone? I could go on and on...

Again, there are plenty of people older like me in the Universal parks when we go. We are not an endangered species. Just like there are plenty of teens at WDW.

This is it exactly. The attraction itself as well as its theming will determine the "staying power". There is no book for SM or BTMR or EE. There is theming and a backstory. If the backstory happens to be a work of literature or a movie? Well great! However, if it is badly themed or a dated movie...the ride must stand alone and some do.

The more I think about this I sometimes think it would be better to just go back to no FP of any kind. I think you would get to go on more rides with avg wait times.

When I hear that they let 8 FP on a ride for every 2 stand bys it makes me upset. This is why there are 90 min waits for rides unless you get a FP. Kind of a shame.

When I hear that they let 8 FP on a ride for every 2 stand bys it makes me upset. This is why there are 90 min waits for rides unless you get a FP. Kind of a shame.

Sorry, but I don't agree.

And, I have years of experience with headliner attractions before FP came along.

The more I think about this I sometimes think it would be better to just go back to no FP of any kind. I think you would get to go on more rides with avg wait times.

The key is what is an "average" or acceptable wait time. For Disney according to the recent interview, the less time spent in line the better.

The key is what is an "average" or acceptable wait time.

For Disney according to the recent interview, the less time spent in line the better.

I think that pretty much sums up what EVERYBODY thinks. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter