Four Parks, One Dope: A 2015 Dopey Challenge Trip Report!

Ariel484

DIS Veteran
Hi DIS friends! Are you ready to run?

The main cast for this report is me, Shannon, and my husband Will. This picture is from Marathon Weekend in 2013!
edited-0473.jpg

We were joined by my 3 BFFs and their husbands (and one of their kiddos!).

Why were we all in Walt Disney World on this weekend in January? Well, one of my friends, her husband and her kiddo live there. So that's a given. Besides visiting them, the big pull for the rest of us was Marathon Weekend! Five of us were signed up for events...one was running the half marathon (her first time running this race!), three were running the marathon (the first time for all of them!), and I was in for the Dopey Challenge (the 5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon).

I documented my training for this weekend here on the DISboards! I had big, big plans for getting ready for this weekend. I am a pretty OCD-level planner, especially when it comes to getting ready for races, and I'd had my training schedule laid out for a year in anticipation for this weekend - all neatly organized in a Google Doc. In 2013 I did the Goofy Challenge (half marathon + marathon) as well as the WDW 5K (the Dopey Challenge and WDW 10K did not exist yet), and leading up to that I had this almost perfect training cycle where I missed one run and cut another short over the course of 16 weeks. I was really hoping to repeat that this year!

Then I got injured during a race at home in September and sat out the first 3 weeks of training (freak IT Band + foot straining incident). Because of this my training was messed up before it began, so I scrapped the original plan I had and started from scratch. Then I rolled my left ankle right before the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, which thankfully didn't result in injury...but it did give me a slight heart attack. A few weeks later I rolled my right ankle, which again, didn’t result in injury, but did do things to my blood pressure. Then I got a blister...you get the idea. :worried: I almost never hurt myself running, and suddenly I was just having a string of bad luck. Ugh!

In general I stuck to the post-injury plan I laid out as best I could, along with adding in some core and yoga classes, but a repeat of that awesome training I'd had a couple of years ago just wasn’t in the cards this time. Now I realize how rare that really was. Woof.

So going into this race weekend I was not quite as confident as I was in 2013. Really I was hoping that the training I HAD managed to get in, along with knowledge that I had done it before (which was HUGE for me) and the consistency I'd had all year in running, core and yoga before the injuries happened, would be enough to get me through.

Are ya ready? I'm ready. Let's go!

Last edited:
Table of contents

Introduction

**Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015**

Part 1 (Arriving)
Part 2 (Expo)
Part 3 (Expo)
Part 4 (Expo)
Part 5 (Expo)
Part 6 (Downtown Disney)
Part 7 (Checking in at the Boardwalk)
Part 8 (Magic Kingdom)

**Day 2: Thursday, January 8, 2015 - 2015 Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K!**

2015 Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K! Arriving
2015 Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K! Mile 1
2015 Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K! Mile 2
2015 Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K! The Finish!
2015 Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K! The Medallion!
Post-5K, Part 1 (Post-5K, 10K prep)
Post-5K, Part 2 (Magic Kingdom, Captain Cooks, Contempo Cafe)
Post-5K, Part 3 (Magic Kingdom, Dinner at The Plaza)

**Day 3: Friday, January 9, 2015 - 2015 Walt Disney World 10K!**

2015 Walt Disney World 10K! Arriving
2015 Walt Disney World 10K! The First 5K
2015 Walt Disney World 10K! Miles 4 & 5
2015 Walt Disney World 10K! The Finish!
Post-10K, Part 1 (Hollywood Studios)
Post-10K, Part 2 (Beaches & Cream)

**Day 4: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 2015 Walt Disney World Half Marathon!**

2015 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Arriving
2015 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! The First 5K
2015 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Magic Kingdom, Part 1
2015 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Magic Kingdom, Part 2
2015 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Miles 7-12
2015 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! The Finish!
Post-Half Marathon (Epcot/Via Napoli)

**Day 5: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon!**

2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! Arriving
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! Miles 1-5
BREAKING NEWS: COAST-TO-COAST IN 2015!! DUMBO DOUBLE DARE + DISNEYLAND 5K!!!! :banana:
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! The Magic Kingdom!
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! The Journey to Mile Marker 10
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! Almost Halfway!!
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! Animal Kingdom!
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! SWOOOOOON
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! ESPN Wide World of Sports BOOOOOO
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! Escape from ESPN Wide World of Sports!
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! FANS!!!!
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! My Favorite Fan :lovestruc
2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! THE FINISH!!
Post-Marathon, Part 1 (All about that bling!)
Post-Marathon, Part 2 (pre-dinner snack!)
Post-Marathon, Part 3 (Yachtsman Steakhouse)
Post-Marathon, Part 4 (Magic Kingdom)

**Day 6: Monday, January 12, 2015**

Part 1 ('Ohana)
Part 2 (Hollywood Studios)
Part 3 (Now It's Time To Say Good-bye...)

Final Thoughts

Last edited:

Hi Shannon, I'm in! :wave2::thumbsup2

I'm so pumped to hopefully see some Boardwalk pictures and hear about all your race experiences! Most importantly, I wanna hear if having finished you'd do Dopey again! Hahaha! :lmao:

Can't wait to hear all about it! I was watching Dopey weekend from home and decided to go for a full in 2018 for the 25th anniversary. Considering I'm just getting ready to run my second half marathon, I think this gives me some time to build up! ;) I can't wait to hear about your trip! :thumbsup2

Joining!!! :D Can't wait to hear about your experience and see all your pics!!!

I have dreams of running a marathon one day and I'm hoping reading some trip reports will help motivate me off the couch!! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

I'm here! Can't wait to read all about it!
Yay! Glad you're here! :)
Joining in can't wait to read all about it!
Thanks for following along! :goodvibes
Can't wait for another great trip report.
Yay Gisele! Can't wait to read yours too! :)
Hi Shannon, I'm in! :wave2::thumbsup2

I'm so pumped to hopefully see some Boardwalk pictures and hear about all your race experiences! Most importantly, I wanna hear if having finished you'd do Dopey again! Hahaha! :lmao:
Yay, glad you're here, Emily!

Yes, love the Boardwalk so much! My favorite resort! :)

Would I do Dopey again?...YES! Absolutely!!!
Joining in!
Yay! Thanks! :)
Can't wait to hear all about it! I was watching Dopey weekend from home and decided to go for a full in 2018 for the 25th anniversary. Considering I'm just getting ready to run my second half marathon, I think this gives me some time to build up! ;) I can't wait to hear about your trip! :thumbsup2
You could totally do it, and good call on picking an anniversary year. The medal I got in 2013 for the 20th marathon is amazing! Definitely my favorite medal that I have - can't wait to see what they'll do for the 25th. :)
Joining!!! :D Can't wait to hear about your experience and see all your pics!!!
Yay! Thanks Summer!
I also ran the Goofy in 2013, I can't wait to hear how the Dopey went!
I had a much better time this year...the biggest reason why (in my opinion)? The WEATHER! No heat advisories this time! :thumbsup2
I have dreams of running a marathon one day and I'm hoping reading some trip reports will help motivate me off the couch!! Can't wait to hear all about it :)
DO IT!! It's a life-changing experience! :goodvibes

Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - Part 1

Signing up for Dopey meant that I would need to have my bib picked up in time for the 5K on Thursday...which meant that I would need to be at the expo on Wednesday. When I first starting taking Disney race trips they were Friday - Monday (Princess Half in 2011 and the marathon in 2012)...then they stretched stretched into Thursday - Monday (Goofy in 2013 and this year's Splash and Dashing adventure)...and now I'm at Wednesday-Monday! I'm liking this trend! :thumbsup2

Due to Will's teaching schedule, I was flying down by myself on Wednesday. In the past he has flown to Disney on Friday evening after work, arriving on-property close to midnight after rushing to get to whatever flight I had booked for him on time. This year we were trying something different...he was due to fly in early on Saturday instead. I did book us on the same return flight, so that was nice. We agreed that he would drop me off at the airport Wednesday morning so we wouldn't have to pay to park both cars and could drive home together (his school is about 10 minutes from the airport).

Early that week, I started to get increasingly nervous that my flight would be delayed or canceled - our area was under a Lake Effect Snow Warning, and we were predicted to get 4-8 inches of snow on Wednesday!! :faint: So with that in mind, we left home that morning about 20 minutes earlier than we'd originally planned. The drive wasn't too bad - normally it takes us 30 minutes, today it was more like 40. Just really slow going, but luckily there weren't a lot of cars on the road that early and we didn't get delayed by any accidents or anything.

I think we were saying our "see ya real soons!" just a bit before 7. I checked in at the United counter (jarring to have to pay baggage fees...I almost always fly Southwest and they have spoiled me with no bag check fees!) and had a breakfast sandwich from Bruegger's and coffee in hand pretty soon afterward. The Cleveland airport recently got a Starbucks...FINALLY. :cheer2: PRAISE JESUS.

One thing I did NOT bring on this trip with me - my DSLR. I almost hate to admit how freeing it was not to have it with me (almost all of the pictures here are from my phone). :guilty: Not bringing that monstrosity freed me up to bring two other things as my carry-ons - one was my Disney Vera backpack, the other was a smaller, carry-on approved rolling suitcase. In here I had all of my race outfits (4 of them) and both pairs of my running shoes, along with some important documentation I'd need at the expo. I definitely was NOT going to leave it up to DME to get the important stuff to me in a timely matter! The suitcase I had checked is a behemothly gigantic thing that had my other miscellaneous packing items (toiletries, etc.) and throwaway clothes to wear at the starting area of the races - convenient since I'd throw them away and have lots of room in my suitcase to lug souvenirs home. :) I am a chronic overpacker - for this trip though, that was actually a good thing.

The day was off to a great start - my flight did NOT get delayed - yeehaw! There were lots of empty seats, including one in between myself and the other guy in my row - who was wearing an Akron Marathon jacket. Eventually we got to chatting and he was on his way to Disney for the first time since Epcot opened! I have to wonder what he thought of all of us Disney freaks...

Flight was uneventful and we landed a little after 11. After a quick change into shorts (woo!) I power-walked to the first floor of terminal B.

Helloooooo DME area! I'm back again!

16246667756_fb0655a2b9_z.jpg

They scanned my MagicBand and I walked right onto a bus! Excellent timing. Not long after we were on our way and the new DME video was playing...let's just say fiddling on Instagram and listening to the old DME loop on my phone was WAY more enjoyable than the alternative! I CANNOT STAND that video!!

16272586375_baf76377a6_z.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - Part 2

After stopping at Caribbean Beach Resort, my bus arrived at the Boardwalk at about 12:15PM. I quickly walked into the resort, handed my rolling suitcase to Bell Services, and turned around to head right back out. I was surprised to see that the Boardwalk was still decked out for Christmas!

15650174594_43d34c0dc5_z.jpg

16270799511_91677b694b_z.jpg

Down to the convention area of the resort I went. I had one thing I absolutely HAD to do today - I needed to get to the race expo at Wide World of Sports to pick up my race bibs - and to SHOP!

16085230670_942caa7877_z.jpg

During this time I was texting with one of my friends (Courtney). She was already at the expo and we had plans to meet up!

All of the Epcot resorts share race transportation buses during Marathon Weekend - ridiculous for deluxe resorts, but it is what it is, I guess. I found most of the time the Boardwalk shared with Swan & Dolphin, and I would just get off of the bus at the first stop (mostly the Swan) and walk to the Boardwalk from there. I cannot remember if we made stops at any other resort on this day, but I do know I was power-walking into the expo at about 12:45.

16270806871_3ef2445e38_z.jpg

16085236200_8b3f1c672c_z.jpg

I headed straight to the official merchandise area with my list of items I wanted to buy. runDisney releases previews of the merchandise before each race weekend, so I already mostly knew what I wanted. Courtney was already there, arms full of stuff for her, her husband, Austin and one of our other friends, Jess - we said hi and hugged quickly, and I was off to find my must-have items (I totally realize how rude that seems, but Courtney understands the lure of the runDisney merch). :teeth:

Mostly I had success here. The two items I wanted the most - a Dopey Challenge medal pin and a half marathon hoodie - were gone, unfortunately. Ugh. I wanted both things badly enough that I was resigning myself to coming back for them the next day after a CM reassured me that things would be re-stocked. Besides that, my big disappointment was that runDisney still sells the Vinlymations, but they don't make the little medals for them anymore. Like these:

rundisney_minimedals.jpg

BOOOOOOO

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - Part 3

With our items in hand, Courtney and I lined up to check out (and were both SHOCKED by the amount we spent! :o Thankfully I had some gift cards and an AP discount with me, but still - yikes!!).

Here is what I did end up getting during that first trip...

At the risk of jinxing myself, I got "I Did It" shirts for the Dopey Challenge, the Goofy Challenge (running the half marathon and marathon on consecutive days - doing the Dopey Challenge automatically qualified me for this) and the marathon:

16114581159_a102185530_z.jpg

16113169628_0dece1c144_z.jpg

16114873247_c1523fa101_z.jpg

15680843073_6c56a9719f_z.jpg

15680852873_f726e09cab_z.jpg

15680849443_3569095868_z.jpg

This marathon shirt...because it's adorable and I loved the colors.

16299859452_7ee850c67c_z.jpg

This runDisney shirt...which I guess is technically another Dopey Challenge shirt since it has all of the race mascots and says "48.6 miles" on it??

16298951201_961050c55a_z.jpg

Runner Mickey!

16299898202_8632ba5a0a_z.jpg

And 3 SweatyBands...one each for the half marathon, the marathon and Dopey.

15680866743_db842705fe_z.jpg

Overall I was pretty disappointed in the Dopey merchandise...maybe it's because I've never super loved Dopey as a character, but none of it really spoke to me beyond the SweatyBand and the I Did It shirt. Oh well. My wallet is happier for it, and that's saying something since it was really hurting after today!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - Part 4

From here we headed over to bib pick-up. Here, we split up - Goofy and Dopey Challenge runners were directed one way, marathon, half marathon, 10K and 5K runners went another way.

16246682876_7e90055eea_z.jpg

I picked up my bibs pretty quickly (one bib for the 5K and 10K, the other for the half marathon and marathon), along with my race pins, which were given to me in a big envelope.

16113413800_d69cefe096_z.jpg

They also had shirt pick-up for Goofy and Dopey runners here, so that was nice. I got my 6 - yes, 6! - race shirts here. One short-sleeved, cotton, unisex-fit shirt for the 5K, and 5 long-sleeved tech shirts for the 10K, the half marathon, the marathon, the Goofy Challenge and the Dopey Challenge.

16298975141_a697e5ddcc_z.jpg

Love the park icon detail on the sleeves. That's something 2014's Wine & Dine shirt didn't have...not sure why?

16300757265_58d4d6e73f_z.jpg

16114620529_b180628bd3_z.jpg

16114885437_61cc3e6e1f_z.jpg

I think I've said this before, but I think they slightly missed the mark with the Goofy shirt. He just doesn't really *pop* enough, in my opinion.

16113191178_e014c05962_z.jpg

I liked this shirt much, much better in person. The leaked picture I saw online earlier that week made this thing look pretty gross. Thankfully it wasn't!

16274822786_7d957fc142_z.jpg

Then I was directed to have my picture taken.

16085240470_081161a65c_z.jpg

This was something I hadn't had to do in 2013. Apparently we'd get our picture taken holding up our bibs (exactly like what you see in the example above), and then we'd have to check in after each race so that officials could confirm that the same person who picked up the bib was the same person completing the race (apparently some people have completed these challenges as a team effort...hmmm...;). The race documentation also said our times would be verified after each race (runners must hold a 16:00/mile average pace) and that we'd get wristbands after each time was verified.

Photo area:
16085242200_dcbaa33cef_z.jpg

This didn't take very long, thankfully.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
I'm jumping on!! Followed the training report and now, I'm ready for the running report!!

I'm not up to Dopey standards, but training for the Wine and Dine Half this year.

Can't wait to hear more!!

Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - Part 5

After this, I headed back into the official merchandise area one last time to double-check on the pin and hoodie. Courtney told me earlier that she'd seen CMs re-stocking the pins, so I had hope...sure enough, the Dopey medal pin was there! I snatched mine up.

16298954091_c8151280f2_z.jpg

I normally never buy these medal pins, but I wanted it this year because I'm planning on getting a Coast-to-Coast medal in September in Disneyland. So this Dopey medal pin is for the Coast-to-Coast ribbon...hopefully I'll get a Dumbo Double Dare pin to go with it.

That just left the half marathon hoodie. There were 4 left, but none in my size. Just as I was registering my disappointment, a CM walked by...I thought, "What the heck," and asked him if he could check to see if a hoodie was left in my size. He disappeared for a few minutes before heading out...with a hoodie for me in hand!!

15678337984_a5d196aff7_z.jpg

The picture doesn't do the color justice. It's bright, neon, in-your-face-obnoxious green. I'm obsessed with it. :)

I definitely had an overreaction to this - I audibly gasped, hugged the guy and thanked him a million times. I think he was caught off-guard by that, but I was so happy that I wouldn't have to come back here tomorrow! (Not that I HAD to come back...but you get what I mean.)

Now that my merch dreams had come true, I met up with Courtney. In addition to getting her marathon bib, Courtney had also picked up the Marathon Weekend jacket she'd pre-ordered months ago...and it was...interesting.

I normally don't post pictures of strangers, because I think it's mean-spirited...so I'm telling myself this is okay because you can't see this woman's face. Also, hey, Jess!

16086131868_4d5ae159ce_z.jpg

A big, glittery pair of shoes. Where are the characters?! She was not happy, to say the least.

Our last stop was the Dooney pick-up area, where I picked up my pre-ordered letter carrier. LOVE.

15680893283_4dcd45096d_z.jpg

16114914407_1310278dac_z.jpg

16113224348_c45b5d0af8_z.jpg

For anyone wondering, there was one line for those that had pre-ordered, and another where people could purchase that day. Both lines were pretty short.

And we were done! We headed over to take pictures with concept art of the medals on our way out.

15652974713_db3997156b_z.jpg

I was carrying a significant amount of crap with me...

16086753577_7d0e89dc4d_z.jpg

Met an *interesting* guy after taking this Dopey picture...hmm...

16086759167_743062f8db_z.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter