Found an old WDW travel brochure from 1983 ...

VA_mouseman

"Marching Along, We're Adventurers!"
Whenever I'm back home, my parents are always digging up relics of my past. On my most recent visit, I found a 1983 WDW brochure, with an "introducing EPCOT Center" on the front!

Eight page layout, with Epcot getting top billing. At the time, the only nations listed were Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, France, UK, Italy, Germany and obviously USA.

The MK layout had a few noticible entries ... "20k Leagues Under the Sea," "Journey to Mars" and "If You Had Wings" (now Buzz Lightyear, iirc).

Pricing ... ah, the good old days. A 3 Day "World Passport" (for just the two parks and transportation) was: Adult $35, Junior (12-17) $33 and Child (3-11) $28. a 4 Day World Passport pricing was $45, $42 and $36 respectively. One day MK or Epcot pricing was $15, $14 or $12.

Lodging options were CR, Poly, FW and the "Golf Resort Hotel" ... is this now SOG? The "Vacation Villas" are mentioned ... Treehouse Villas (now empty), Fairway Villas and Club Lake Villas.

River Country, along with tennis and golf, are listed as recreation options. Also mentioned is Discovery Island. Is this still there?

The Walt Disney World Village is listed (currently the Downtown Disney). Empress Lilly riverboat is mentioned.

What a long way WDW has come since then!

River Country and Discovery Island have been closed.

Its always fun to look up old stuff like that.

How about this, When Disneyland opened in 1955, and Adult ticket was around a BUCK! Juniors and child were like 50 cents and 30-something cents. 3 and under i think free. Pretty cool.

I think I might have that same 1983 brochure from our first trip to WDW. Oh, the memories. We stayed off property that year because I heard you had to book well over a year in advance to get a room at one of the only three hotels on Disney property. I remember the excitement of the new Epcot. We waited about two hours just to ride on the boat in The Land.

:)

Tink

My first trip was in 1984. We stayed off site and used the 3 day pass. I remember that The Living Seas and Morrocco were under construction at the time. It was early June and Space Mountain was the only wait over a half hour.

Oh the memories of World of Motion, Horizons, Journey into Imagination, 20K Leagues, Mr Toad, Journey to Mars, and If You Had Wings.

Originally posted by tinkerbellmagic
I remember the excitement of the new Epcot. We waited about two hours just to ride on the boat in The Land.

:)

Tink

I remember looking at the wait time last Christmas and it was a 2 hour wait... :p

I love looking at old WDW stuff!! I have some old maps and things too, they are so fun to look at. But it does make me sad to see all the things that are no longer there. :(

I don't remember if it was on this board or not but I mentioned on one of them recently, while looking through some "junk" at a yard sale. I came across a, like new, copy of Steve Birnbaum's Walt Disney World, 1983, Including the New Epcot Center.

From what I was able to comprehend, this was the First Official Guide To WDW by Birnbaum. After having to part with a large portion of my available cash (25 cents) I happily went home and place it in my unofficial Disney Vault.

What made it extra special, 1983 was the year of my first visit with my children, so this has a lot of sentimental value to me.

:earsboy:

You have reminded me that the old brochures used to have so much info about the attractions - now it is just a map - if you have not done your homework on the Internet or gotten a guidebook you really cannot see the World with a 2004 brochure!

I was going thru my cookbooks recently and found "Mickey's Gourmet Cookbook", from 1994. It mentioned "Disney Marketplace" and a few restaurants that don't exist anymore--can't remember right now.

too funny- I just came across an old Magic Kingdom Club 1978 Membership Guide :D It advertises 43 square miles of excitement. The hotels listed are the "futuristic Contemporary Resort", The Polynesian Resort Hotel, and the "relaxing Golf Resort Hotel". For 165.00 per adult heares what you got:

4 nights in one of these hotels

5 days unlimited admission to the MK

MK Club ticket book good for 16 theme park attractions

1 day admission to River Country

Special Coupons good for dining

sounds good to me

:sunny:

I don't have any of that kind of stuff, but when my family went in '86, my Dad bought a coffee table souvenir book of the world. SO neat to see all that stuff! There's pictures of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot (including Horizons, World of Motion, and Journey Into Imagination!!), River Country, Fort Wildnerness, the Disney Inn, the Contemporary and the Polynesian.

In fact, I'm a little sleepy, so I think I'll get that book and take a nice nap!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter