• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Found $5 in a pocket today... what's the best you've ever found?

I found a crisp new $100 on the floor at the Beach Club Marketplace. My boyfriend and I had a great night spending that sucker at the Crews Cup Lounge that night. It’s not the first $$ I’ve found at Disney but it’s the largest amount so far...

My daughter found $20 in a pair of jeans that she was trying on at Kohls. Someone must have brought them back after wearing them

Last week I was cleaning out our drawers in our china cabinet, which tend to attract mail and other paper stuff, which are victims of my "stash and dash" when I'm straightening.

I found a $225.00 check to DH for a gig he played last June -- hadn't even been opened. Cashed that puppy that night and put it in our savings account. Pretty great, but also sad and scary altogether. Made me realize I'd stopped budgeting and watching what comes in and goes out -- I'm back on target now!

I was at the Orlando airport waiting for my flight to go home. I walked to the trash can to dispose a candy wrapper and found $200 on the floor. I split it with my sister who was with me on this trip.

Not a story of how I found money, but how I saved money. I was cruising the web one evening more than a decade or so ago. I saw an offer for a second mortgage at a lower rate than my current mortgage. The offer also stated that they would go up around 80% of the homes value. This was less then was owed on the home, and the offer allowed you to use the money to pay off your current mortgage. As a lark, I went ahead and applied late that night, which was the final day of the offer.

I was approved. So, we managed to refi our home for the cost listed in the offer :

$10

I didn't find money, but I know I saved thousands.

Back in the early 90's I changed my paychecks from physical to direct deposit. Somehow during the changeover I neglected to deposit two physical checks. About 5 years later an uncle informed me that he saw my name on a list in the newspaper of people who had unclaimed funds. Yep, it was those checks.

More surprising was that my employer never questioned me about those checks I never deposited.

About five years ago I looked on my former state's website for unclaimed funds. There is my name and the address from when I was born but from which my family moved away when I was five months old. The street name is slightly misspelled. Apparently my parents bought a small life insurance policy in my name. It's worth something like $1600 now but I have absolutely no proof that I ever lived at that address. Not worth the effort of trying to claim it.

About a year after we moved, we were preparing to go on a cruise. My husband was digging around in a box that we hadn't opened since the move, and he found a birthday card that contained $100. That paid for parking during our cruise.

About a month ago I was cleaning out the hall closet and found a brand-new-with-tags coat. I bought for our youngest child when she was a senior in high school /I thought she was going to choose a college in a cold location, and I bought the coat on clearance in anticipation of her needing a good parka. She chose to stay home /started at community college. Two years later she did enroll in the school I thought she'd choose, and -- forgetting the coat I'd bought -- I bought her another parka! Long story short: I have a brand new coat, even if it is about five years old.

I found three cents on the windowsill in my classroom yesterday. Along with a corndog stick and half a pack of catsup. I figured it was my tip for cleaning up the mess.

Last week I found a $5 Starbucks card in the parking lot.

The rule here is if I am doing your laundry, and I find cash, it becomes mine. After DH lost $150 to this rule (his poker winnings), he learned to check all his pockets. I did use the money for a nice dinner out for the family, but I still spent it the way I wanted, not the way he wanted. :rotfl2:

I've found $50 in various bills, while walking home from the bus stop.

Of course, opposite of that, I've lost money in restrooms on more than one occasion. One time, I had $30, pulled it out of my regular pants pocket while changing into work clothes (at work, came straight from the airport), and left it on the little shelf that you put your purse on. Wemt back in not even 5 minutes later to get it, and it was gone. :sad:

About $40 in a purse. I have a bad habit of leaving all my crap in my old purse when I switch to a new one. So then later when I want to switch back I have to clean out all the pens, dried out sticks of gum, and half-eaten cookies that my kid gave me to hold while we were in the grocery store, but also I usually find money in there too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter