Fort Wilderness was Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of our breakfast gatherings at Disney were epic. One in particular occurred in the 1600 loop over 10 yrs ago still gets my fat cells excited when I think about it. Good times

IMG_5015.jpeg
My dog had THE BEST time last week at the Fort with me. I’m single and sometimes I just don’t want to ask my family or a friend or hire someone to dogsit when I go to WDW. I have an AP and can drive down from Atlanta. I love taking him to Disney and he loves it too!

I’m sorry some people hate pets but some of us rely on them for companionship because of how life has netted out for us. Please give us grace and kindness just as we will with you.

Ok, I am going to say this bit has kinda been played out. So, I am here to preach from my milk crate. Some people dont like dogs, or cats or spiders. Thats life. No one is saying these people hate pets or arachnids. I was always terrified of dogs, untill recently. The why is because a german shepard put me in the hospital for a bit. This was when I was 9. This doesn't mean I hate pets, or your pet or your spider. I love good behaved pets and convey to a dog owner if I am afraid of the dog when needed. Lots say they have great behaved animals, and for the most part they do. But some dont. And thats what people remember. Thats human nature. You don't remember finding 50 bucks on the street, but if you loose 50 bucks that will be with you for the rest of your life. Moral of the story is, keep your pets away from people, unless they want to be close to them in public. Unless its in a dog run or park. Its kinda that simple. Your pets, dogs can go anywhere they are allowed. Walk them, take them to the supermarket, or even to the movie. I suport that. Just be mindfull of people that dont want them in there space. Most pet owners have good behaved pets. Most ever are so behaved they dont need leashes. They obay commands, easily and compleatly. But only you as the owner knows that. The other guy dosen't. Plus sometimes your idea of behaved and someones elses are not the same. So, deal with it. Its not you, its them. Not everyone has to like everything. And some will always be afraid of dogs because of sometging you dont know or understand.

And for the record. Any one here I have met, has well behaved pets. In fact, most every single camper I have come across has well behaved pets. So much so, that I have grown to like dogs. Spiders, not so much. So please keep your arachnids out of my space! Lol.

In summary, pets are not evil, or hated, its some owners who in the past have not trained thier pets that instill upon our psyche a phobia or fear of a bad moment that happened in the past. This is life. Ot dosen't mean I hate you or your pet or your spider. Alright, I may hate the spider a bit.........

We have grown as a people to take offense at so little these days its almost disgusting. If we all just have comon courtesy and respect, we will all be a bit better off.

Now , if you see me, bring the dog, or cat, or rabbit on by my campsite. Just leave the spiders at home.

Very well stated @Sjm9911
I have been on both sides of this issue. When we first started camping we were not dog owners and I sometimes felt that a small minority of owners were unable to grasp that their pet didnt need to be part of your camping experience. Now that we have owned a dog for 15 yrs or so I am very cognizant of not infringing on others. When we go for walks I typically stand aside and let others pass because I dont know their level of comfort with a dog. Bothe our dogs have been boxers and anyone who knows the breed will tell you they are lovers. Some of my favorite times at the Fort have been walking them and having children ask if they can pet them. Once the parent agrees the fun starts. Our first boxer (Penny) was a sort of ambassador with the kids, she was great with them.
It all comes down to consideration for others, its a 2 way street for sure.

Wiltony, like I said just wave or you don't come near us. Where dogs are allowed I will not go out of my way to accommodate you or any other dog hater. And yes I like to think I am a very responsible dog owner for the last 52 years. If you know dogs are allowed at certain places like I said don't go there, if they are not allowed and are there then everyone needs to speak up and not just complain about it after the fact. Happy camping to you as well.
not that this has been mentioned but service dogs are allowed where pets are not allowed. so the hater could find one where he is not expecting to find one

The level of defensiveness here is off the charts. We've clearly said multiple times that we don't have a problem with responsible dog owners.

I like dogs, but what I don't like is inconsiderate owners. If you're not one, stop calling people names and being so defensive, because this thread isn't about you.

If you feel attacked, maybe that says something about you and that you might re-evaluate whether you really are as considerate and responsibile as you think you are. If that's the case, please just leave your dog at home and let others enjoy their day.

Last edited:
Yeah, this thread has taken a very not neighborly turn. There are lots of people who like dogs just fine but consider them just, well, dogs. They aren't people, and except for very specific ADA instances, don't have express rights to be anywhere. I find that the problem that has developed is that now, unless prohibited, many owners feel their dogs deserve to be everywhere whereas before it was understood that dogs were only welcome where they were specifically invited.

The level of defensiveness here is off the charts. We've clearly said multiple times that we don't have a problem with responsible dog owners.

I like dogs, but what I don't like is inconsiderate owners. If you're not one, stop calling people names and being so defensive, because this thread isn't about you.

If you feel attacked, maybe that says something about you and that you might re-evaluate whether you really are as considerate and responsibile as you think you are. Of that's the case, please just leave your dog at home and let others enjoy their day.
This is exactly how I feel. I will admit that I am not a dog lover. I think some of them are cute and I appreciate a good working dog. The problem for me is that it is clear that many people have no business owning dogs. They don't know how to train or treat their dogs and it shows. I HATE when I am walking and someone allows their dog to come up to me. My husband is quite allergic to them and having a wet dog nose touch his leg makes him break out in painful hives. That is unacceptable to most rational people, but for some reason, there are a lot of dog owners that can not comprehend that others don't want to be around their precious baby.
That is what annoys me the most about these types dog owners, their complete lack of awareness for others and how not everyone loves their dog like they do. No one should ever allow their dog to go sniffing around others. Train your dogs properly and there would be a lot less hostile people toward dog owners. It stinks for the good owners but sadly, those are few and far between.

Yeah I think this thread has run it’s course… but I feel that everyone who has commented here (IMO) agrees that (and in fact are those ) responsible owners should have consideration and respect for rules, where and where not, and others around them. The end (of this thread anyway…)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter