Fort Wilderness Train

All True,

The de-railments were caused by the poor bedding, that was a result of building it in haste by an inexperienced engineer. Further, the water capacity of the engine was insufficient for the inexperienced cast in charge of its operation.

This is cited in book I mentioned previously.

I remember riding the Fort Wilderness train as a teen during it's first year of operation.

The engine was always breaking down as it kept running out of water. They had to bring a water truck around to keep filling it up.

I remember guests saying that the water truck got around the campground faster than the train.

The train was very slow!

That was back in '72 or '73. At that time, Disney World was out in the middle of nowhere. I remember that the park (MK) would empty out at 6:00 pm (that's when the tour busses would return to Orlando) and you would have the whole park to yourself. The only places to stay then were The Contemporary, PV, and FW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter