• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fort Wilderness Frequently Asked Questions

clkelley said that "One camping unit (meaning RV, motorhome, travel trailer, popup, truck camper, camper van, teardrop, etc.) and 1 personal vehicle are allowed. In addition, you can erect as many tents, awnings, shelters, screen rooms, tarps, etc. as you like and you can park as many utility trailers/boats, golf carts, bicycles, scooters, etc, as you wish AS LONG as they fit within the confines of your driveway and sand pad.They don't mind if you spread over the edges a bit, but don't want things completely set up or parked in the pine straw areas."

The official policy , which we just got re-explained to us at 315pm today is one camping unit (trailer,popup,mh,5thwheel,tent) per site PLUS one tent (on SAND only) plus an awning/dining cover attached or directly against the main camping unit, plus ONE (usually your tow vehicle or frog) vehicle (and as many bikes,scooters,pairs of crutches, golfcarts or surfboards that you want as long as they are not blocking the loop road , other's sites, infringing other's spaces or in the fire zones (any area other than the pad or the sand) OR two tents (plus the one vehicle and as many surfboards, scooters, etc ) with the exception of the specified Group Tenting location. (end quote of the nice (cough) security truck guy)

You can not have a camper and as many tents as you want. Nope. 2 tents on the sand and a Motorhome are definitely a no-go. Ask us as we were just forced to take down one of the tents. Even though it's been set up for a few weeks now. (yawn) Oh well, try again tomorrow. Different security crew likely on then.

Now all that having been said and yes the policy as stated is in writing that it is ONE camping unit and one extra tent and ONE vehicle (presumed to usually be the tow vehicle but you could park the tow vehicle in over flow and keep your Jaguar at the site if you wanted of course instead) and no where on that little cutesy policy paper does it say unlimited numbers of tents at one site are okay nor does it say it's okay to put anything anywhere other than the pad and the sand behind the pad. That all having been said, we frequent renters of Ft. Wilderness real estate also know that the level of enforcement of any given rule at any given time varies greatly. But since some poor innocent first timer might take a FAQ as Sacred Proven Fact, this should be pointed out. Best advice? Each and every time you plan a trip, call directly and get the name of the person you're talking to and get the current standing on it. Also a lot of the sticky links to disney camper websites are okay links but the person hasn't updated their website in quite some time and is listing loops that are not partial hookup as partial hookup and other things (bus routes, etc.) A lot of changes took place here at the Fort in 07 and so far in 08 most assuredly.

This is sort of like a certain camping forum where people are swearing that wifi (not cable modem even but wifi, LOL) is at all sites (including partial hookup ones) for free now as well as the cable television at all sites included now (including the group tenting area) and with no extra charge to boot, and that the new routes that have knocked out the direct Settlement to MGM (pardon me, Disney Studios) bus are only for those without Ft. Wilderness ID cards ( this rumor is particularly funny I think) and one of the best I read over there is the one about being allowed to start a campfire (not the cooking grill, not a closed top and sides mesh fire unit as are truly allowed in non-fire ban times, but just a big ol' fire on their site they're saying and this is from someone they're all in awe of as some authority and when I emailed him about it being wrong, he told me he read it on a stick FAQ on disboards.com/camping so at least I was able to just laugh knowing no one on this board is insane enough to think they'll get away with building a bare on the ground in the brush open fire these days (well maybe a few that have had a couple of extra stops at Crocket's if you know what I mean...but..)

Anyway, maybe it's time the sticky FAQs were checked and updated and those who are keeping websites with FTW "facts and rules" running update too since we've had so many changes in everything from the rates to the seasons to the type of gum we can chew legally on the Fort's grounds (those Orange Co cops don't like Beechnut for some reason, don't know why) updated?

As of yesterday morning the bus to MGM now leaves from the Outpost and not the Settlement. I assume this is a permanent change. All the transportation maps and even the automated bus announcements hadn't been updated as of yesterday.

Larry

Just a reminder, as it says at the beginning of this thread:

"If you have a question to ask, please go out onto the forum and start a new thread with your question. You'll get many more answers that way. Otherwise, this thread would get too long, with lots of people answering your one question."

Thanks! :goodvibes

Ft. Wilderness Loops 101: (Revised) OVER THE COURSE OF THIS YEAR and THROUGH APRIL 2009, the Fort is going through a rennovation. ALL LOOPS WILL HAVE CABLE and the categories of Loops are reshuffling:

Once the rennovations are complete, the new loop designations will be as follows:

PARTIAL - Water, Electric, Cable, designated for tents, popups, van campers, large sand pad will remain, no Pets
PREFERRED - Water, Electric, Sewer, Cable, designated for all levels of campers, sand pad will remain, no Pets
PREFERRED PET - Water, Electric, Sewer, Cable, designated for all levels of campers, sand pad will remain, Pets are allowed with a $5 per night extra fee
PREMIUM - Water, Electric, Sewer, Cable, all levels of campers are allowed, remodeled for the bigger rigs, the Sand Pad will be elimated and the level driveway will be wider and longer. No way to put a stake in the ground. Updated picnic tables and grills.
PREMIUM PET - Water, Electric, Sewer, Cable, all levels of campers are allowed, remodeled for the bigger rigs, the Sand Pad will be elimated and the level driveway will be wider and longer. No way to put a stake in the ground. Updated picnic tables and grills. Pets are allowed with a $5 per night extra fee.

Loop 100 - Preferred
Loop 200 - Preferred
Loop 300 - Preferred Pet
Loop 400 - Premium
Loop 500 - Premium Pet
Loop 600 - Premium
Loop 700 - Premium Pet
Loop 800 - Premium Pet
Loop 900 - Premium Pet
Loop 1000 - Premium
Loop 1100 - Premium
Loop 1200 - Premium Pet
Loop 1300 - Premium Pet
Loop 1400 - Premium
Loop 1500 - Partial
Loop 1600 - Preferred Pet
Loop 1700 - Preferred
Loop 1800 - Preferred Pet
Loop 1900 - Preferred
Loop 2000 - Partial

Tents are allowed on any level of site, partial, preferred, premium but the Preferred sites tend to have a smaller sand area and a larger driveway to accomodate RVs and campers. The Premium sites will have NO SAND AREA AT ALL.

THE INFORMATION BELOW IS HOW THE LOOPS CURRENTLY ARE BUT WILL BE GOING THROUGH CHANGES OVER THE COURSE OF THE YEAR. Refer to the upgrade schedule in this FAQ to determine if the loop you want will be affected/completed during your stay.

Loop 100 through 800 and Loop 1400 are Preferred Full Hookup Loops. They include electric, water, sewer, and cable (internet is available at an extra cost through a cable modem checked out from the front desk). Of these preferred loops, 300, 700, and 800 are Pet Loops.

Loop 900 through 1300 and Loop 1600 through 1900 are Regular Full Hookup Loops. They include electric, water, and sewer. Of these loops, 1600 through 1900 are Pet Loops

Loop 1500 and 2000 are partial hookup loops. They include electric and water.

There is no such thing as a preferred partial hookup. There is no such thing as a partial hookup pet loop.

Tents are allowed on any level of site, partial, full, preferred, but the full and preferred tend to have a smaller sand area and a larger driveway to accomodate RVs and campers.

Supposedly, only popups, tiny campers, and tents are allowed on partial loops, but I have seen all sizes of rigs on the partial loops. A large rig would not be happy on a partial for very long due to driveway size and no sewer.

The fax# is:407-824-3508

Date

TO: Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground Site Assigner

Address

SUBJECT: Site Request for Month xx - xx

RE: Reservation # xxxxxxxx

I am really looking forward to my stay at the Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground and am writing about campsite requests. I do understand that these are only requests and cannot be guaranteed.

If possible, I would like a site in Loop xxxx with a site that will accomodate the following: (list your "stuff" here) and near (whatever you want to be near).

Thanks so much for your help, and once again I’m really looking forward to my visit to Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground.

If you have any questions, I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx or by email at xxx@xxx.xxx

Sincerely,

Your name here

Right Click and Save the following picture to display at your campsite and on your golfcart.
SiteMarker.jpg

Use any PAINT or PHOTO EDITING program to add your name to it like this:
ROG-FtWSiteMarker-1.jpg

We have never stayed at FW before I am thinking their must be a golf cart parking spot by the the boat dock for MK?

We have never stayed at FW before I am thinking their must be a golf cart parking spot by the the boat dock for MK?

Where can I park a golf cart??

There is golf cart parking:

On the driveway at your site
Near the marina
Near Trails End and the Hoop de Doo
Near the Meadows Recreation Area and Campfire/Movie
Near the Outpost Bus Stop
Near the Settlement Bus Stop

There are plug-ins for charging the golf cart at the parking near Trails End and near the marina.

There are NO plug-ins at the parking near Outpost and Settlement bus stop

Unknown if there are plug-ins at the parking near the the Meadows Recreation Area/Campfire/Movie

NEW PREMIUM CAMPSITES – Power, Water, Sewer, and Cable TV included
The sites will feature expanded parking area offers and better maneuverability for the larger RVs of today that exceed 45 feet in length and/or have multiple slide outs. They will be wider (up to 24 ft), and deeper (up to 60 ft). They will also feature new upgraded picnic tables and grills and new landscaping to allow more privacy and better appearance. All sites will include cable and offer high-speed Internet access for an addition daily fee.

The exact size and shape of each campsite will depend on Mother Nature. While all the campsites in this new category will be enhanced, the final dimensions will be based on the limitations of the natural surroundings.

The Coquina area (dirt pad) will be completely removed. Tents will still be allowed on these sites, however, it will be difficult to secure a tent to the ground as the entire campsite pad will be paved, making it impossible to drive tent stakes into the ground to anchor a tent.

Pull-through sites will not be added, but the new sites are much deeper. This will allow across-the-street neighbors to pull all the way back allowing you more room to turn. The entrance of each site will be much wider and easier to back into.

As the sites are converted, pet loops will be re-designated as Loops: 500, 700, 800, 900, 1200 and 1300.

The conversion schedule is as follows:
(Schedule subject to change without notice)

Loop 900 – closed 7/08 to 7/25 – reopens 7/26/08.
Loop 1000 – closed 7/27 to 8/08 – reopens 8/09/08.
Loop 1100 – closed 8/10 to 8/22 – reopens 8/23/08.
Loop 500 – closed 8/24 to 9/21 – reopens 9/22/08.
Loop 800 – closed 9/22 to 11/01 – reopens 11/02/08.
Loop 400 – closed 11/03 to 11/21 – reopens 11/22/08.
Loop 600 – closed 11/30 to 12/19 – reopens 12/20/08.
Loop 1300 – closed 1/4 to 1/23 – reopens 1/24/09.
Loop 1200 – closed 1/25 to 2/06 – reopens 2/07/09.
Loop 1400 – closed 2/08 to 2/13 – reopens 2/14/09.
Loop 700 – closed 3/15 to 4/03 – reopens 4/04/09.

REVISED PREFERRED CAMPSITES – Power, Water, Sewer, and Cable TV included

The most frequently requested locations, loops 100, 200, and 300 will not be converted to Premium campsites due to environmental limitations. Since they cannot be made any larger, campsites in these three loops will remain as Preferred. Also for similar reasons, loops 1600, 1700, 1800, and 1900 will be reclassified as Preferred. All sites will include cable and offer high-speed Internet access for an addition daily fee. Picnic tables and grills will remain as they are now.

As the sites are converted, pet loops will be re-designated as Loops: 300, 1600, and 1800.

The addition of cable TV and Internet will not require any down time but completion dates are as follows:

Loop 100 – Already completed
Loop 200 – Already completed
Loop 300 – Already completed
Loop 1900 – completed by 7/04/08
Loop 1800 – completed by 7/25/08
Loop 1700 – completed by 9/19/08
Loop 1600 – completed by 10/31/08

Remember all dates are subject to change without notice.

TENT/POP-UP CAMPSITES – Power, Water, and Cable TV included

Loops 1500 and 2000 will remain as partial hook-up sites for campers using tents, pop-up campers and van campers. As now, RV will not be allowed on these sites. All sites will soon include cable TV and offer high-speed Internet access for an addition daily fee. Picnic tables and grills will remain as they are now. As now, there are no pet loops in this category.

The addition of cable TV and Internet will not require any down time but completion dates is expected by 11/21/08 for both loops.

Standard Full-Hookup Campsites

This category will be phased out completely as the new Premium and Preferred Campsites become available.

Creekside Meadow

This primitive campsite area will remain unchanged for use by scout troops, schools and other group campers.

Meadow Swimmin' Pool

Enhancements to this area are planned, including the addition of a slide and hot tub, but exact refurbishment dates have not be released as of yet.

River Country

As this area is controlled by Disney Attractions, no changes to this area are expected anytime in the near future, nor will this area be incorporated into Fort Wilderness Resort.

Thanks for the info. This information is greatly appreciated. My favorite palce to stay on Disney is Ft. Wilderness. This info helps me plan my vacation. thanks

Assuming you are asking about loop requests, about 1 to 2 weeks before arrival. The FW desk receives their reservation report about two weeks before arrival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter