• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fort Wilderness Frequently Asked Questions

Rhonda

<marquee><font color=red>Quote of the Day: <font
From the Walt Disney World Executive Offices:

"While smoking is not permitted inside cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness
Resort & Campground, smoking is allowed on cabin porches, at campsites,
and in the designated outdoor smoking locations throughout the resort."

Thanks to Clkelley for obtaining this for us!! :banana:

Feel free to post frequently asked questions and answers here, for our new visitors! :goodvibes :surfweb:

Just an advance notice....please keep answers on this thread on-topic. FAQs and answers only. So, somebody looking through here for information won't get bogged down with lots of extra stuff. Thank you!

"Extra" posts that are not FAQs will be deleted. No hard feelings. :)

One more thing...if you have a question to ask, please go out onto the forum and start a new thread with your question. You'll get many more answers that way. Otherwise, this thread would get too long, with lots of people answering your one question.

Thank you!!

Well, people are often asking for opinions on best time of year, loops etc., so I'll just throw out our experiences in that regard;

1. What is best partial hook-up loop? We love the 1500 loop for it's location but have found we have been perfectly happy in every loop we've camped in.

2. Will we get cold camping in a tent in December, January or February? You might, cold fronts occasionally come through so you should be prepared for it. We're from NC and felt fine camping in a short cold front in early February with an air mattress, sleeping bag and blanket for each person.

3. Will we roast like a Thanksgiving Turkey if we camp in a tent in June, July, or August? You might depending on your heat tolerance or how much heat you're used to before you arrive. When we camped in June and August we were fine without a fan because at the end of the day we'd rinse off at the pool, go for a swim and then shower before going to sleep. We usually didn't go back to the site in the middle of the day because of the roasting like a turkey thing.

:welcome: to the DIS "Camping at Disney World" Forum!

To get you started,
Here is a map of Fort Wilderness:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/FWMap.pdf

Also, using the "Search" feature is something you will probably find to be very helpful. You will find the Search function in the menu bar above. If you do an "Advanced Search" you can narrow the results down to those that come from the camping forum only, or whatever forum you feel would most likely have the answer.

Happy Camping! :goodvibes

When is the 3 o'clock parade? I don't know.

What kind of discounts can you get on reservations at Fort Wilderness? We keep a membership in AAA mainly to get the discount, it always pays for itself with just one trip to the Fort if the discount is available.* There is also a 20% discount if you are eligible to book through Shades of Green and the discount rate is available (holiday periods might not have discounts). (Shades of Green is a resort for Active Duty and retired military and DoD employees, you can check http://www.shadesofgreen.org/ to see if you're eligible). Call Shades of Green for availability - (888) 593-2242.

*Might change with new rate system in '08.

Is it convenient to take the buses to the parks from FW? We think so, we like to park the van and take a true vacation from all 'stuff' and use only Disney Transportation. Over the years Disney has tweaked the bus system until it is a much smoother operation than in the past.

If a tree fell in Fort Wilderness and no one was there to hear it, would it still make a sound? Duh, like THAT will ever happen!!

The Fort Wilderness campfire program happens year round in the "theater under the stars" located in the Meadows recreation area. It is free of charge.
The program consists of a sing along with a very talented Disney cast members leading the fun. After a brief introduction, our friends Chip and Dale will make their way through the crowd for pictures, autographs and general harrasment of the guests. The sing along starts at 8 during the summer followed by a movie (the list is always posted at the top of the thread list) at approximately 8:40. During the winter (after daylight savings time ends, this year on Nov 4th) the sing along starts at 7 and the movie around 7:40.

There are 2 fire pits that are lit just before the sing along begins. These are for roasting marshmallows, hot dogs and whatever else you may wish to roast.

You can bring your own snacks and drinks with you or purchase what you need.
popcorn, candy, drinks and S'more kits are available at the chuckwagon, individual wooden roasting sticks are available.

Wooden benches are provided along with bleachers at the back of the theater. A blanket or cushion is always a good idea. The area is covered in pea gravel to prevent it from being muddy.

The restrooms are about a 100 ft walk behind the chuckwagon, the comfort station at the 1400 loop is utilized.

Be ready to clap, sing and participate (like so many other Disney activities)

Please make sure and say "Howdy" to the cast members and tell them you are a Dis'er

Scott

If staying in a tent or RV you'll need to bring your own....Beach and personal.

There are none available at the pools.

If staying in a cabin......they provide plenty for all uses.

Directions to WDW/Ft. Wilderness from I-75

I-75 S

Get off at exit 328 (approximately 140 miles from Georgia/Florida State Line, approximately 107 miles from I-10)

Travel on Florida Turnpike to Exit 267A (429S) (approximately 42 miles)

Travel on 429S to Exit 8 (Disney World/Hartzog Rd) (approximately 14 miles)

This road will take you to West Buena Vista Dr near Coronado Springs.

Turn right if going to All-Stars or Animal Kingdom Lodge, turn left if going anywhere else, then follow the Disney signs to your destination.

Tolls on the main Turnpike will be $2.50 for a standard vehicle. (More if pulling a trailer).

Tolls on 429S to Disney World will be just $1.00 as the Disney World Exit doesn't appear to charge a toll.

(I based the mileage on the exit numbers as they coincide with mile markers).

Since most folks staying at FW have either driven their RV or have a rental there and have the ability to cook and a frig here are the closest places to get the groceries:

Posted in another thread by bradisgoofy

Directions to the nearest Wal-Mart =
Turn left out of the FW driveway, go to the first traffic light and turn right. Go to E Buena Vista Drive and turn right ( you have to turn here, there is no straight thru and if you turned left you would go to DTD ). Stay to the right and follow the signs toward I-4 but don't get on I-4. This will take you to the main road ( Epcot Center Dr. ) in and out of WDW. Stay on the road out of WDW and continue straight onto SR 536. Turn right onto SR 535.( second traffic light, I think ) Go one mile and the Wal-Mart is on the right. This is a total of about 7 miles.

For those with GPS - The city Is Kissimmee and the intersection is Vineland Road and Polynesian Road.

My post in the same thread:

Closest is Goodings in the Crossroads Shopping Center. Not the cheapest, but closest and you can get your McD's fix there.

12521 State Road 535
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Telephone: 407-827-7300

Here is tha address of the one already mentioned and it must be new since we were last there in Dec 2005 ....

Wal-Mart Supercenter
3250 Vineland Rd, Kissimmee, FL
(407) 397-1125

If you continue on 535 you will come to US192 and at that junction on the left is a Publix:

Publix
2915 Vineland Rd, Kissimmee, FL
(407) 396-7525

If you turn left onto US192 and go a couple of miles there will be another Walmart Supercenter on the right just past Medival Times. This is where we have gone in the past.

Wal-Mart Supercenter
4444 W Vine St, Kissimmee, FL
(407) 397-7000

What we normally do is go to Goodings if we just need a thing or two. Otherwise we go to the Walmart on W. Vine and if we don't get everything we need, we stop at Publix on the way back.

We always go the back way where there is less traffic and hopefully I won't miss a turn here. Out of FW parking lot turn left onto Vista Blvd and follow that road until you get to Live Oak Lane and turn right (there should or used to be a Child Care Center on the right just after you turn onto Live Oak Lane) and then another right onto East Buena Vista Drive and follow that and turn left onto Hotel Plaza Blvd (just past the DTD bus stops on the right). When you hit 535 go straight across to Crossroads Shopping Center (Goodings) or turn right onto 535 to get to the Walmarts/Publix I listed above.

If you want to follow the previous directions given by Brad and go to Goodings just turn left onto 535 vice right and go under I-4 and The Crossroads will be on your right at I believe the first SL.

Larry

Ft. Wilderness is at

4510 N. Ft. Wilderness Trail
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000.
Phone is: 407-824-2900;
Fax is: 407-824-3508.

As of 11/01/07 this is the address for mailing packages ahead to the Fort if you want to have supplies there when you arrive.

Since most folks staying at FW have either driven their RV or have a rental there and have the ability to cook and a frig here are the closest places to get the groceries:

Posted in another thread by bradisgoofy

My post in the same thread:

Larry

Just a short addition to this based on my experience. During the day, I recommend the Walmart. At night, not so much. We usually arrive in Orlando area at around 4:00am (I drive basically non-stop from Houston-long story- 'nother thread). I have stopped at the Walmart twice and it apparently is a hang-out for rough looking teenager/baggy pants (who definitely aren't out raising $ to cure leprosy or sumpin'). If you are out late at night, the Goodings parking lot has excellent and very proactive security outside. Prices are higher though. Across the board. This is just my experience as an out of towner. Locals may know better. After dark, no Walmart for me and my bunch.

Regards,

Is the food at The Trail's End good?
Yep, if you like a "good old fashioned meat and potatoes meal" served buffet style. :thumbsup2

How early does the boat to Magic Kingdom start?
About 45 minutes before the park opens.

Can you buy groceries/beer/wine at Ft. Wilderness?
Yep, a limited selection is available if you don't mind paying a small fortune :scared1: for it.

What's the best loop?
Depends. . . The best for what? :confused3

Check-in is at 1p (campsites only) and Check-out is 11am.

Can we use both pools at the Ft. Meadow's pool and the Cabin pool? YES!

Trails End times-
Beakfast-7:30am-11am
Lunch 12pm-2:30pm
Dinner- 4:30p-10pm (fri. and sat.
Dinner 4:30pm-9:30pm (Sun.-thurs.)

yes, they have take out 4:30-10pm

Does anyone know how big the parking spaces are beside the cabins? We are taking our Class C 29' Itasca down. Will we be able to park beside our cabin?

No, the parking space is not long enough for a MH. We had quite a challenge fitting a Dodge Durango in our spot. It just fit.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/ftw23.jpg

This picture should give you a rough idea of the length of the driveway. Actually, it might not.......lol but I can't find the right picture.

You can always park the MH in the FW over-flow lot and then use internal transportation or golf cart to get around FW.

Regards,

Does anyone know about internet service at Camp sites? I can not find any info on Disney's website or by calling. They only say it is $9.99 a day. But even they don't know how I would access it. Routers would be to far I'm sure. We have a laptop with wireless set up. I've used it many times when staying at hotels. I do have wi-fi on it as well, never used it though. Any help would be great thanks so much.

Does anyone know about internet service at Camp sites? I can not find any info on Disney's website or by calling. They only say it is $9.99 a day. But even they don't know how I would access it. Routers would be to far I'm sure. We have a laptop with wireless set up. I've used it many times when staying at hotels. I do have wi-fi on it as well, never used it though. Any help would be great thanks so much.

Here you go DisneyBama. All the information you need on internet at the Fort :)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1365556

From a recent question I just answered.

What can we put on our site??

One camping unit (meaning RV, motorhome, travel trailer, popup, truck camper, camper van, teardrop, etc.) and 1 personal vehicle are allowed.

In addition, you can erect as many tents, awnings, shelters, screen rooms, tarps, etc. as you like and you can park as many utility trailers/boats, golf carts, bicycles, scooters, etc, as you wish AS LONG as they fit within the confines of your driveway and sand pad.

A recent guest was asked to removed a 2nd tent he had set up at a full hookup site with an RV. We haven't seen the policy in writing yet, but he was told 2 tents on a site without a camper, and 1 tent on a site with a camper

They don't mind if you spread over the edges a bit, but don't want things completely set up or parked in the pine straw areas.

Thought I would post this here and this info is current as of today. Ran one LP tank basically dry in 70 deg weather yesterday and as we all know you always have some residual propane leftover and the new OPD IIRC is supposed to limit you to filling the tank to 80 to 85% capacity. Thus for a 30lb tank it should only hold around 25lb of propane and there is probably a lb or two that you will never get out thru an LP regulator. Thus an empty 30 lb tank should take around 23 or even max of 25lb of propane. I checked at the Meadows and they charge 70 cents/lb so an empty 30 lb tank should run around $18. However, when I picked up my tank I found out that actually they charge a flat rate based on the tank size, $14 for a 20lb and $21 for a 30lb. I talked to a manager and explained that this was fine, but folks should not be told that the cost is 70 cents/lb, but is a flat rate regardless of how much propane is needed. I went to CW to check out their prices and can't remember what a 20lb tank ran, but a 30lb was again a flat rate of $26 so even at $21 at the Meadows it's a better deal and saves you 20 miles of fuel/gas to go to/from CW. The manager even only charged me for a 20lb tank even after I objected. I had no problem with the price since my tank was actually empty, I just wanted to advise him of the issue as I saw it.

Larry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter