• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fort Wilderness During a Hurricane

Latest is Wednesday night into Thursday morning. They already have a storm surge warning up for the Tampa coast, 5-8'. The storm has just now started to pick up speed but it still has a couple days to spin the wheel and decide where to land. Regardless, unless it stays offshore or moves west, which it wont, Central Florida is going to get nailed.

I just saw a news report about panic buying of gas. My guy could chance the weather but not running out of gas. Unless something moves Ian away from land, looks like we're turning around :(
I'm leaving for Key West on Oct 7th. This is my concern. I think the 7th is far enough away from this week for any gas issues to be sorted out, but I was mapping out fuel stops to assure I could stop in areas that aren't being impacted. Thankfully I have 100 gallon capacity and I only need to stop twice for fuel. Plan is to find someplace south of Atlanta for stop 1 and somewhere around Miami for stop 2.

j

BREAKING: Walt Disney World Announces Closure of Select Hotels, Water Parks, and Miniature Golf Courses Due to Hurricane Ian

Walt Disney World Resort is currently operating under normal conditions as they prepare to make necessary adjustments based on the latest information from the National Weather Service. Currently, they following closures and policy changes have been announced:
  • Disney Resort Hotels: Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, Copper Creek Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and the Bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort since these locations will temporarily close Wednesday, Sept. 28 through Friday, Sept. 30 due to the weather. Disney is contacting Guests with current and upcoming reservations.
  • Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon will close temporarily Wednesday, Sept. 28 and Thursday, Sept. 29. (Disney’s Blizzard Beach is currently closed).
  • Winter Summerland Miniature Golf and Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf will also temporarily close Wednesday, Sept. 28 and Thursday, Sept. 29.
  • Reservations for Dining and Other Experiences: Effective immediately, Disney will not enforce cancelation policies until further notice for dining and other experiences like Savi’s Workshop and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.
  • Disney is currently monitoring weather conditions and will communicate any changes to park operating hours or special events at a later time.

Walt Disney World begins shutting down some attractions and transportation ahead of the arrival of Hurricane Ian

With the effects of Hurricane Ian expected to be felt late Tuesday, Walt Disney World is already moving to secure some of the more vulnerable locations.

Test Track at EPCOT is now closed, with guests holding Lighting Lane reservations being offered alternative experiences.

Outside of the parks, Disney Skyliner is now closed. The gondola system is obviously very sensitive to severe weather, and the gondolas need to be secured to ride out the storm. Guests are being offered alternative transportation via bus.

Disney announced earlier the closure of select Walt Disney World hotels and Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park.

We expect more operational impacts over the coming days as the storm's severity becomes clearer.
j

I’m standing in line at the office that goes past where they used to load Magical Express waiting my turn to find out where I am going Wednesday morning. Now they are saying Tuesday night.

Last edited:

People were fairly calm and understanding while waiting in line. But there was a communication problem. The flyer they put on most campers had no phone number to call. At the office they said all their staff that were helping people were also answering the phones and helping people. After about an hour in line, they came out and said this was only for people that had to move tonight. I don't know what makes that classification. I stayed for another 45 minutes getting within about 30 people of the door. They came out and said they ran out of hotel rooms for the night, come back tomorrow after 8:00am they should have more availability. People asked if we would get a number for standing in line, the answer was no. If you had prepaid reservations for some things (HoopDeeDoo, MNSSHP) they would give you a phone number to call to sit on hold and you could talk to them about it. I'll go sit in line tomorrow morning (Tuesday) to see what happens. The staff were really great at answering questions, but they are just the workers, not the generals that make the decisions. Only one couple got upset while waiting in line, nobody liked it, but we all understood the problems.

Adding my prayers to everyone else’s. Best of luck and stay safe to all in the path of the hurricane.

Yesterday, himself and I took the boat to the Fort to see what supplies we could find at the Trading Post at the Settlement. We were on the hunt for peanut butter because POR had bread, bagels, jelly--but no PB.

I also needed a can opener to open the canned milk I picked up for my coffee (in leu of regular milk). NO luck at the Settlement, so we trekked to the Meadows, and behold! Not only can we now can have PB&J's if power goes out, I can have milk with my coffee. (BTY--lactose free dulce de leches (sp?) for my coffee is my latest discovery for shelf stable milk before opening). I have found that the Meadows TP is more fully stocked than the Settlement.

So we're hunkered down, Fort Wilderness in absentia, with what food/goodies we were able to scrounge up and had already brought down with us (we were planning on ordering Amazon on arrival). But at least we have the Scottish shortbreads, makings for PB&J, Ritz crackers, all the things I'm not supposed to be eating lol. What the heck, I can indulge (telling myself), one only rides out an historic hurricane once in a lifetime (hopefully).

Be safe all who are in the path of this thing, and may God bless.

The food court at Riverside Resort was packed after about 8:30 this morning. Lines for food are long, but rain is off and on and not much wind yet. When it’s not raining people are in the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter