Fort Wilderness closed to day visitors Oct 26-Nov 2

When we checked in, the gentleman at the Outpost was very clear about the "hard close" on those dates. They have said this in the past and well.........not sure how well monitored it was. You used to be able to enter the back gate of the Fort. That is strictly not allowed now. I guess we will see.

I m not sure what you mean when you say it’s sad but let me give some background as to why the fort guests are happy management is doing this.
In the past outsiders would come in and overwhelm the Fort and it’s special Halloween events. For example, the campers bought trick-or-treat candy for the Fort’s camping kids but local outside groups would plan (i.e. Facebook group plans) come in and scarf up candy. I have personally experienced this in the past and the Fort management listened to the campers and began to “protect” things for their guests.

Hope this helps provide some explanation for why management is doing this.

I mentioned previously about in the future, needing to own DVC at the Fort to be able to get in at Halloween and Christmas??

As I read on other sites this also means no visitors to your camping sites/cabins. While I understand it on Halloween night it's lousy for those staying at the Fort that want to have friends/family visit on the other days around it. I'd be pissed if friends and family could not visit me while I was on vacation that week.

As I read on other sites this also means no visitors to your camping sites/cabins. While I understand it on Halloween night it's lousy for those staying at the Fort that want to have friends/family visit on the other days around it. I'd be pissed if friends and family could not visit me while I was on vacation that week.

I have had past luck adding names to my Fort reservation when I checked into the Fort in person before but I don't know if that will be allowed during this period listed above. You can put up to 10 names on a reservation.

Last year I think they started restricting/checking access to the Fort (such as at the MK boat dock) about two days before Halloween but I would have to check my trip report to be sure. On the other side, I'm surprised they extended the shut down into November like that but that will cover the weekday period but I assume the crowd will be leaving by Friday November 3.

Looping around to see decorations gets crazy sometimes with too many cars doing so, all the golf carts, and foot traffic. Other guests try to get a Halloween/Disney experience at the Fort and not buy a MK party ticket (or they're sold out). So I support the management action plan.

Maybe guests in the other Disney resorts and those who disagree with this policy should start decorating THEIR room doors and/or THEIR balconies/windows and make THEIR resorts decoration destinations as well.

Bama Ed

PS - thanks Peach for putting this info out there.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with this policy since i am at the Fort this weekend. Respectfully. Parking is full and the overflow had filled up the grassy areas adjacent to the un-hitch area which is cordoned off and set up with temporary lighting.

Guests here, particularly those with children have a right to expect that non-guests can't go traipsing around the resort at will.

We can't go over to TOTW to see the MNSSHP fireworks without a blue card or the Poly without and ADR so why should random people be able to wander round this resort? There are children playing and out and about everywhere.

You could ride over on the MK launch and walk the 100, 200, 300 or other close in loops or get an ADR at Hoop-Dee-Doo or a campsite.

You could ride over on the MK launch and walk the 100, 200, 300 or other close in loops or get an ADR at Hoop-Dee-Doo or a campsite.
We aren't there, but I was wondering about this. Now that the boats are running again, we enjoyed taking the boat, stopping at P&J's for a meal or snack and continue on our boat tour.

I m not sure what you mean when you say it’s sad but let me give some background as to why the fort guests are happy management is doing this.
In the past outsiders would come in and overwhelm the Fort and it’s special Halloween events. For example, the campers bought trick-or-treat candy for the Fort’s camping kids but local outside groups would plan (i.e. Facebook group plans) come in and scarf up candy. I have personally experienced this in the past and the Fort management listened to the campers and began to “protect” things for their guests.

Hope this helps provide some explanation for why management is doing this.
That I can see. I just remember renting bikes and riding around the fort daytime to see the decorations.

We aren't there, but I was wondering about this. Now that the boats are running again, we enjoyed taking the boat, stopping at P&J's for a meal or snack and continue on our boat tour.

There is a Cast Member at the MK boat dock for the Fort who will scan your Magic Band before boarding the boat to see if you are a Fort guest (or have a HDDR or other Fort activity re$ervation). My assumption is the CM is there for these same dates as posted in the OP. I believe there is the same over at Disney Springs and same for the bus runs from the theme parks. With the guard at the FW gate being vigilant as well, I can only think of one chink in the armour but I would assume Disney has that covered somehow as well.

ED

Last edited:
So will they still allow ten people on a camp site reservation during this time? If not, wonder how many?

The nearby town of Celebration gets huge traffic on Halloween that requires police presence at almost every intersection .
Last year families were dropping their teens off along the Interstate ramp , allowing them to walk from the auto down the Off Ramp towards the city center . It is very dangerous in the dark and traffic is horrible .

I can understand Disney attempting to limit visitors especially since it sounds impossible.

There is a Cast Member at the MK boat dock for the Fort who will scan your Magic Band before boarding the boat to see if you are a Fort guest (or have a HDDR or other Fort activity re$ervation). My assumption is the CM is there for these same dates as posted in the OP. I believe there is the same over at Disney Springs and same for the bus runs from the theme parks. With the guard at the FW gate being vigilant as well, I can only think of one chink in the armour but I would assume Disney has that covered somehow as well.

ED

Crawling on your belly through the underbrush? Scuba diving and sneaking up the beach after dark?

We have a Cabin reservation for next week, made almost a year ago. Love the experience of the Fort, look for Mando on wheels. However how do they manage grocery deliveries? Have one planned for Sunday, no car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter