Fort Wilderness Christmas closure?

zogite

Earning My Ears
Hi there,

I'm a local hoping to visit Fort Wilderness to see one of their nightly movies next week. I know that this past Halloween, they closed the resort to visitors; does anybody know if they typically do the same for Christmas and, if so, during what timeframe does that occur and how far in advance is it announced?

Well, @zogite,

I hope you looked at the Halloween Announcement here on the Camping Board.

It was posted here on 10/22 and went into effect on 10/26. Since the holiday was technically 10/31, that was 9 days in advance.

Today (12/16) is 9 days in advance of the next big holiday you're asking about, of course (the week of Christmas Day December 25). I would expect an announcement but as long as one doesn't come (and I don't recall reading about such an announcement in the past) you might get in. They still could restrict parking (since you don't have an advance reservation for any activity and you're not a FW guest).

You might be able to get in and attend movie night but you may (or may not) need to be creative to get there. But it probably can be done. In the past, for example, they did not restrict PEOPLE from entering the Fort but if FW parking lots were full, they sent CARS over to Wilderness Lodge to park in their big(ger) lot and folks had to ride the bus that runs back and forth between the Fort and WL. But who knows what this year will be like?

Bama Ed
PS - welcome to the DIS Camping Board. :welcome: :disrocks:

PPS - locals can "gum up the works" when they try to crash the FW pools in summer or suck up the Halloween treats or fill the parking lots (even more than they are). But as long as you are "low impact" and permitted to visit, have fun! Just give yourself plenty of time to get there in case you have to "flex" the plan.

Last edited:
Well, @zogite,

I hope you looked at the Halloween Announcement here on the Camping Board.

It was posted here on 10/22 and went into effect on 10/26. Since the holiday was technically 10/31, that was 9 days in advance.

Today (12/16) is 9 days in advance of the next big holiday you're asking about, of course (the week of Christmas Day December 25). I would expect an announcement but as long as one doesn't come (and I don't recall reading about such an announcement in the past) you might get in. They still could restrict parking (since you don't have an advance reservation for any activity and you're not a FW guest).

You might be able to get in and attend movie night but you may (or may not) need to be creative to get there. But it probably can be done. In the past, for example, they did not restrict PEOPLE from entering the Fort but if FW parking lots were full, they sent CARS over to Wilderness Lodge to park in their big(ger) lot and folks had to ride the bus that runs back and forth between the Fort and WL. But who knows what this year will be like?

Bama Ed
PS - welcome to the DIS Camping Board. :welcome: :disrocks:

PPS - locals can "gum up the works" when they try to crash the FW pools in summer or suck up the Halloween treats or fill the parking lots (even more than they are). But as long as you are "low impact" and permitted to visit, have fun! Just give yourself plenty of time to get there in case you have to "flex" the plan.
Thanks for the tips, Bama Ed! I did see the Halloween posting, which is what prompted me to ask about Christmas. This'll be my first attempt at trying to get in to FW at all, so do you (or anyone else) have any tips for their movie nights (location, where to park, is there a decent amount of signage, etc)? I'm planning on driving just myself, but will certainly give enough time in case I have to go over to WL.

Thanks for the tips, Bama Ed! I did see the Halloween posting, which is what prompted me to ask about Christmas. This'll be my first attempt at trying to get in to FW at all, so do you (or anyone else) have any tips for their movie nights (location, where to park, is there a decent amount of signage, etc)? I'm planning on driving just myself, but will certainly give enough time in case I have to go over to WL.
You can’t park in the main lot without being a guest as it is behind the gate so your best bet is to park at the TTC and find a way over from there.

I don't think you will be allowed to park at the WL to go to FW during Christmas. Not without an ADR (and the guard will check). The WL is crazy during the Christmas holidays with so many people wanting to visit to see the decorations. And their guest parking lot is small, we always have challenges finding spots when we stay there. I'd park at either DS and take the bus to FW or park at a theme park and take transportation to the Fort. I would not count on being able to park at either FW or the WL.

I don't think you will be allowed to park at the WL to go to FW during Christmas. Not without an ADR (and the guard will check). The WL is crazy during the Christmas holidays with so many people wanting to visit to see the decorations. And their guest parking lot is small, we always have challenges finding spots when we stay there. I'd park at either DS and take the bus to FW or park at a theme park and take transportation to the Fort. I would not count on being able to park at either FW or the WL.

Yeah, I didn't say it would be easy.

The Disney Springs suggestion is an option but an inconvenient one. I've waited over there for an hour before a bus headed to the Fort pulled up.

The Disney Springs suggestion is an option but an inconvenient one. I've waited over there for an hour before a bus headed to the Fort pulled up.
I totally agree on that! If I had an AP, I'd park at either Epcot or DHS and take the bus to FW. Probably not at TTC due to all the transfers needed. And I've been meaning to ask you, by chance, do you remember the lawnmower tree at FW? It was near the path leading from the dock to Pioneer Hall. I know the lawnmower is no longer visible, but do you know if the tree is still there? It's one of my core Disney memories from childhood.

I totally agree on that! If I had an AP, I'd park at either Epcot or DHS and take the bus to FW. Probably not at TTC due to all the transfers needed. And I've been meaning to ask you, by chance, do you remember the lawnmower tree at FW? It was near the path leading from the dock to Pioneer Hall. I know the lawnmower is no longer visible, but do you know if the tree is still there? It's one of my core Disney memories from childhood.
Gone, died and rotted away, they removed it 4 or 5 years ago

Gone, died and rotted away, they removed it 4 or 5 years ago
Oh no, that's sad to hear. I remember every year we would visit FW, we'd take the boat over from the CR, it was one of the first things we would look for.

Oh no, that's sad to hear. I remember every year we would visit FW, we'd take the boat over from the CR, it was one of the first things we would look for.

Well if you want a new tradition, you can hop on the boat to FW and look for my name in the concrete. It's in the general area where the lawnmower tree was.

Our poster @amcc found it. There's a pic in post #21 of this thread.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-hearty-bah-humbug-to-all.3904802/page-2

And for what it's worth, that's the second place my name is in concrete at the Fort. The first is much harder to find. You basically have to be directed to it.

Yes, many of the Fort's old traditions are gone - the petting zoo animals, the TE bread pudding, the lawnmower tree, the train, River Country ..... but we can start new traditions that might last the next 50 years.

At least I got the TE bread pudding recipe straight from the chef's cookbook a few years ago.

ED

Well if you want a new tradition, you can hop on the boat to FW and look for my name in the concrete. It's in the general area where the lawnmower tree was.

Our poster @amcc found it. There's a pic in post #21 of this thread.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-hearty-bah-humbug-to-all.3904802/page-2

And for what it's worth, that's the second place my name is in concrete at the Fort. The first is much harder to find. You basically have to be directed to it.

Yes, many of the Fort's old traditions are gone - the petting zoo animals, the TE bread pudding, the lawnmower tree, the train, River Country ..... but we can start new traditions that might last the next 50 years.

At least I got the TE bread pudding recipe straight from the chef's cookbook a few years ago.

ED
My next trip to WDW is still quite a few months away, but I will definitely look for your name! We'll be at the WL and ALWAYS make a trip over to FW. I don't remember the train, but we did spend time at River Country - we all loved it! Funny story, when I did the Disney management program many years ago, my first location/rotation was the FW front desk. I had zero experience camping and had only worked at the other Disney hotels, I accidently sent a rather large RV to a tent site... fortunately the guest caught it before they went too far. I also did part of my time at the Bike Barn, I destroyed a few cane fishing poles in the ceiling fan. Then one night I was able to be a "friend" of Chip's at the campfire. It was a fun few weeks, the Fort is a special place.

Thanks for the help! I figured it'd be easier to get into FW since (to put it gently) it probably isn't one of the resorts people think about when they think Disney World (I'd think it'd be the deluxe resorts like GF or the Poly or Contemporary). FW, in my mind, is more like a hidden gem. I know the other resorts would be darn near impossible to get into if I tried to go as a day visitor, but thought FW was a little more lenient. I'll probably try my luck at Disney Springs.

Thanks for the help! I figured it'd be easier to get into FW since (to put it gently) it probably isn't one of the resorts people think about when they think Disney World (I'd think it'd be the deluxe resorts like GF or the Poly or Contemporary). FW, in my mind, is more like a hidden gem. I know the other resorts would be darn near impossible to get into if I tried to go as a day visitor, but thought FW was a little more lenient. I'll probably try my luck at Disney Springs.

This is true but the parking lot is incredibly small since the early 1970s-1980s assumption was that folks would be parking their vehicles at their campsites or cabins. But at times like Halloween and Christmas holidays decades later, people decorate and pull extra cargo or flat bed trailers which they try to park in the overflow parking lot out in the main area. And they (like me) put additional names on their reservation (because we can) so friends and family CAN get past the guards and visit (but their vehicles have to go SOMEWHERE).

I've been at FW Halloween a few times in past years and trying to park in the lots is ridiculous which is why they go to the grass field by the Hitch/Unhitch area (which can be a muddy, rut-filled mess if it rains which I've seen and photog'd here). When I have people who are on my reservation come to visit, I usually move my vehicle from the campsite to the parking lot around breakfast time (there are some vacancies then) so that guests can drive straight down to me.

If you tried to get in as a local on a weekday night (low occupancy time at FW) in September, they would probably wave you in. But not during peak visitation periods like now if they so choose.

Fort Wilderness is a gem but not so "hidden" when folks want to come to see the decorations on camper's sites at Halloween and Christmas/New Years. And Disney's first obligation (like any other resort on property) is to the guests who pay to stay there.

Ed

Last edited:
This is true but the parking lot is incredibly small since the early 1970s-1980s assumption was that folks would be parking their vehicles at their campsites or cabins. But at times like Halloween and Christmas holidays decades later, people decorate and pull extra cargo or flat bed trailers which they try to park in the overflow parking lot out in the main area. And they (like me) put additional names on their reservation (because we can) so friends and family CAN get past the guards and visit (but their vehicles have to go SOMEWHERE).

I've been at FW Halloween a few times in past years and trying to park in the lots is ridiculous which is why they go to the grass field by the Hitch/Unhitch area (which can be a muddy, rut-filled mess if it rains which I've seen and photog'd here). When I have people who are on my reservation come to visit, I usually move my vehicle from the campsite to the parking lot around breakfast time (there are some vacancies then) so that guests can drive straight down to me.

If you tried to get in as a local on a weekday night (low occupancy time at FW) in September, they would probably wave you in. But not during peak visitation periods like now if they so choose.

Fort Wilderness is a gem but not so "hidden" when folks want to come to see the decorations on camper's sites at Halloween and Christmas/New Years. And Disney's first obligation (like any other resort on property) is to the guests who pay to stay there.

Ed
Good to know the trends at FW! I've always wanted to try out a few of the amenities there, so this'll be very helpful in the future!

Just to follow-up on this: I was able to make it to FW. Living 10 minutes away (I left at 6 PM), I opted to go to Disney Springs and bus over, which wasn't too bad. (I played it safe and parked in the Watermelon/surface lot, which, thankfully, wasn't as full as I anticipated.) I think I waited 15-20 minutes for the bus. One thing I wasn't sure of was how the bus system worked once I got to FW, but fortunately, the driver there was very informative (take the Orange line to the Meadow Trading Post). I probably waited like 10-15 minutes for the bus. I got to the Campfire area just as the sing-a-long ended and just in time for the movie. I'm not sure if this is standard there to prevent piracy or if it was a mistake, but they started the movie 10 minutes into it, rather than from the very beginning, which was a bit disappointing. (I've gone to other resorts and they started their movies from the beginning, but this might be a new policy??) Overall, it was a very good learning experience, so thanks for all of the help!

I got to the Campfire area just as the sing-a-long ended and just in time for the movie. I'm not sure if this is standard there to prevent piracy or if it was a mistake, but they started the movie 10 minutes into it, rather than from the very beginning, which was a bit disappointing. (I've gone to other resorts and they started their movies from the beginning, but this might be a new policy??) Overall, it was a very good learning experience, so thanks for all of the help!

Never heard of the movie not starting at the beginning. Must have been a mistake/glitch.

Thanks for circling back and letting us know how it went.

Bama Ed

We were there last Christmas and the Fort was only like 70% full, there was not a closure to outside folks visiting during that time. We left on 12/30. Also did not see/hear of any closure for new years. Is there a closure this year? Or anticipated closure for new years this year?

We were there last Christmas and the Fort was only like 70% full, there was not a closure to outside folks visiting during that time. We left on 12/30. Also did not see/hear of any closure for new years. Is there a closure this year? Or anticipated closure for new years this year?

No.

But since it sounded like they got more aggressive with shutting down outside access to the Fort for Halloween 2023 (versus H2022), I would not have been surprised if they did the same for Christmas.

Interesting that you say the Fort wasn't full last year. I don't know if that applies to a night or two or the whole time from Christmas through New Years. Like outsiders would come to the Fort to see Halloween site decorations, I would expect there to be outsiders who want to come and see camper Christmas decorations. But would there be enough to cause a problem? :confused3

YT vloggers ResortTV1 did a live stream from the Fort some time last weekend but the video is not on their website (yet).

So if there is no announcement by now, I don't think there will be (for between now and 12/25). Of course, there's no telling what will happen after that.

Bama Ed

It was VERY cold last year. I suspect many had to cancel due to weather and travel conditions elsewhere. The 2000 loop only had like 5 sites occupied and many loops were empty looking. We talked to a local who comes every year and multiple times throughout the year. He stated that the fort was happy to only sell 70% and make the reservation system appear to be "full". Not sure how true this is. But we went for Christmas in 2017 and it was packed, no empty sites. We were ther back in June and it was kinda the same, many empty sites. So not sure if weather played a factor or if they are starting to price folks out. But yeah a different feel last Christmas as compared to our previous time at Christmas. Wasn't empty but far less than expected.

Interesting. We were there after Christmas and over New Year's last year and it was packed. I had a hard time getting a reservation this year for the same time period but was able to piece together the 30-4 as we wanted.

I don't know if this is new but since this question comes up every so often...we rented a golf card direct from Disney and they will only rent to you if you are staying at the Fort and have a confirmation number. I know previously it was recommended as a nice add-on to a day spent visiting the Fort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter