Fort Wilderness Cabins

GrumpySue

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip in April and have decided to stay at the Fort Wilderness Cabins. I would love to hear anything about staying there, where is the best location, what is there to do, what are the must do's ??? Thanks for your help !!

I am headed there on Friday. I can post more following my return. Right now one of my most favorite things is not open: Hoop Dee Do Review. So I am looking forward to what is still available, but mostly as a much needed recharge of my spirit (I am a healthcare clinician).

We stayed there during our last trip. I always wanted to stay there but I must say I was underwhelmed. We had a golf cart to get around but it's very confusing, especially at night and not well marked for directions. We were 4 adults (parents and kids) and the cabin was cramped. I know people love the place but we would never go back.

One of our staycation favorites (we are local to WDW). The cabins are wonderful, but I wouldn't stay there without a golf cart. We haven't been back since the pandemic started, so not sure how much there is or isn't to do.

I am staying in the cabins right now. I do have a golf cart, but I too am underwhelmed. I must have had too high of expectations. When I checked in I was told my cabin was ready, but I could not extend my golf cart reservation at the front desk would have to go outside to the golf cart area and do it there. I get out there and was told no I could not do that there would have to go back inside.. well that is just the beginning. Needless to say there were some nice things but also not what I expected from Disney and the cast members I encounter. I will be writing a letter to Disney regarding my disappointments in hopes no one else encounters what all I encountered during my stay.

With all that said, I would not plan to stay in the cabins again, I may stay if I had my own “rig”.

Big fan of the Cabins here. Stayed twice. Once it was three old friends who hadn't seen each other in 10 years.

Perfect for three adults. Love the kitchen and the deck. So nice to sit on the deck with a few drinks and talk and joke and laugh.

Then a couple of years later it was five of us. Four adults and a teen was a bit cramped but much better than any moderate or value. Morning routine took some work with the one, small bathroom but it was only five nights so we made due. We could make breakfast for the gang.

The Fort is huge with so much to do. Running around on the golf cart was a blast. I'm ready to stay there again!

One of our staycation favorites (we are local to WDW). The cabins are wonderful, but I wouldn't stay there without a golf cart. We haven't been back since the pandemic started, so not sure how much there is or isn't to do.
Do you rent a golf cart through disney? Also are cabins individual or is it more than one unit?

Anyone know what kinda stuff is open now there food & recreation wise? We are thinking about a Jan stay.

I have stayed in the cabins a few times, and never rented a golf cart. I found the internal transportation adequate to get around. I did request a cabin near a bus stop. I liked the cabins, although I preferred it back when they had a Murphy bed in the living room as opposed to a sofa bed. The cabins are more private and you don’t hear your neighbors as much as you do in a hotel. I second the recommendation to check out the camping board for the most up to date info on what is operating and what is not.

Do you rent a golf cart through disney? Also are cabins individual or is it more than one unit?
yes, you rent the golf cart through Disney but it might be a third party vendor (not sure) who is the actual golf cart company. The cabins are individual.

When staying in the cabins, we go through Disney for the golf cart. When we rented a 5th wheel earlier this year, they gave us the golf cart for free (well....you had to prepay the whole reservation).

Cabins are individual with each one having a deck, a parking spot and charcoal grill.

But, you still have to pay a daily parking fee with the cabins which still irks me.

Anyone know what kinda stuff is open now there food & recreation wise? We are thinking about a Jan stay.

One option is to stop at Publix right near FW and load up on groceries. The cabin's kitchen is well equipped including a convection microwave. a small range and a full size refrigerator/freezer. We cook up our meats/veggies on the charcoal grill that lasts for days. Of course, some folks don't want to cook on a vacation which I get.

I think P & J's is open for takeout (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/d...d-js-southern-takeout/menus/lunch-and-dinner/). If you're a fan of fried chicken, this is amongst the best I've had (and is the same as served at Hoop Dee Doo when open).

Looping, which is the terms used for riding a golf cart around the sites, is a leisurely way to enjoy the decorations that guests put up.

The pools should be open (and last time I checked are heated). There is a private/smaller pool and the main one (and has a hot tub).

We were there the second week of October. We didn't stay in a cabin as we have our own coach. There was a large group from the camping forum there for a DISmeet. You might want to go to the camping forum and look it up as there are a lot of posts from the day to day and park info from a first hand perspective.
We didn't go to the parks so our stay centered around the fort for the most part.
First, a golf cart. Some people say they don't need them, we feel that we do as it really is the quickest way to get around the Fort, plus it's fun in it's own right to go "looping" just to see the campground. We have rented from Disney in the past but brought our own cart this trip.
There is plenty of cart parking at the settlement near the Hoop D Do Review, Trails End, and in between the trading post and the boat docks. There is also cart parking at the Meadows for the activities there. Cart parking up at the front end right behind the bus stops.
You can get carts from both Disney there at the Fort, and from off site vendors.
When we were there, the boats only ran between Magic Kingdom and back. They did not run to the resorts. The Yellow bus ran regularly to the Wilderness Lodge and back.
Hoop D Do Review was not open. Trails End buffet was not open but there were spaced out tables that could still be used inside for meals. P & J's carry out and Crockett's Tavern, both within the Trail's End building are open for carry out.
Both pools are open and heated. There is a limit to how many people were allowed in due to social distancing.
Gem mining, archery and movies are still running at the Meadows. No campfire or Chip and Dale sing a long though.
Pony rides are available at the new barn, which is located near the settlement bus stop.
Probably have forgotten something but it's a start.
Here's a link to the camping forum where there's a lot more information:
https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/,

One option is to stop at Publix right near FW and load up on groceries. The cabin's kitchen is well equipped including a convection microwave. a small range and a full size refrigerator/freezer. We cook up our meats/veggies on the charcoal grill that lasts for days. Of course, some folks don't want to cook on a vacation which I get.

I think P & J's is open for takeout (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/d...d-js-southern-takeout/menus/lunch-and-dinner/). If you're a fan of fried chicken, this is amongst the best I've had (and is the same as served at Hoop Dee Doo when open).

Looping, which is the terms used for riding a golf cart around the sites, is a leisurely way to enjoy the decorations that guests put up.

The pools should be open (and last time I checked are heated). There is a private/smaller pool and the main one (and has a hot tub).
Thanks! This is exactly what I was wondering. DS will love having a golf cart. And we plan to drive so we usually pack a bunch a groceries. Last few trips have been in villas so we thought we would try this to “save money”.

We have mixed feelings. We live in NH, so being "in the woods" is our life. Escaping to WDW means palm trees and a tropical vibe. The cabins are nothing special but you do have a kitchen and deck. DH loved renting a golf cart and zipping around, however it was very expensive. The rental car was less than half the price of the golf cart... OKW is still our fav along with BRV. It's villas for us!

We’re ready to check in there next week. Original reservation was POFQ and we were moved to the cabins. They felt like a good choice for social distancing right now. Looking forward to giving them a try. We just bought DVC so this will probably be our only chance to try them. Does anyone know if we need to bring our own towels for the pool?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter