Fort Chatter

BarbLynnM

ICMongeese
Any Chatter on how the Fort fared? We're kind of in limbo here; the concierge here at POR Riverside said we're set to stay where we are for the second half of our stay--unless we're not. If FW opens, we move. All kinda confusing, but whatcha gonna do :umbrella:

No specifics, but saw this posted this morning. Probably to allow for clean up and assess any damage. I also saw reports of MK getting over 12 inches of rain overnight. Parks are still scheduled to reopen tomorrow.

Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, Copper Creek Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Treehouse Villas at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and the Bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort will be closed through Friday, September 30, 2022 due to weather.

j

In november we had 2 days of constant rain, and no wind. The fort flooded prety good. So, I will say it may take a few days. They did have drywrs for the streets if I remember corectly.

Tks. I'm just getting a little antsy not knowing whether we're going to have to check out where we are now or not. I'd like to add a few days at the fort but I get the feeling I'm pushing myluck on that one.

I drove by the Fort tonight, just security sitting at the front gate. Couldn't see any sign of workers

We are leaving Saturday morning to head that way for a Tuesday checkin. We also have alternate reservations at the Kissimmee KOA as a back up. So much up in the air right now- I just wish we could get more information regarding some type of reopening timeline. Does anyone know if any of the resorts they have relocated people to have full size refrigerators? That’s a big concern for us because we’ve invested a lot into supplies for the next 4 weeks and don’t want to lose them.

We are leaving Saturday morning to head that way for a Tuesday checkin. We also have alternate reservations at the Kissimmee KOA as a back up. So much up in the air right now- I just wish we could get more information regarding some type of reopening timeline. Does anyone know if any of the resorts they have relocated people to have full size refrigerators? That’s a big concern for us because we’ve invested a lot into supplies for the next 4 weeks and don’t want to lose them.
They probably can't give a timeline if there are a lot of trees down and flooded areas. The only resorts with full size fridges are DVC or the Cabins that I have ever seen.

Todays update as of 8:30

Walt Disney World Resort Hotels

• Copper Creek Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and the Bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort are temporarily closed through Friday, Sept. 30 due to the weather.
  • Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa will be closed until Monday, Oct. 3
  • Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will remain temporarily closed at this time.
We are contacting Guests with current and upcoming reservations.

Last edited:
When we went after Hurricane Irma, we checked in and explained to the hotel that we had perishable food, they gave us access to a commercial fridge to store the food in until the Fort reopened. We were put up in All Sports, so room only had dorm fridge.

We are leaving Saturday morning to head that way for a Tuesday checkin. I just wish we could get more information regarding some type of reopening timeline. Does anyone know if any of the resorts they have relocated people to have full size refrigerators? That’s a big concern for us because we’ve invested a lot into supplies for the next 4 weeks and don’t want to lose them.
We were in the same position after Irma. We left a few days after the hurricane hit. Calls (when you could get through) to the CMs all said go ahead and arrive and they would have arrangements if the Fort was still closed. Many were getting calls the day of arrival with where they would be put up until the Fort opened. We didn't and called several times while driving down I-75. We had planned on staying at Lake Louis S.P. the night before, but it was closed due to damage. We called several campgrounds on the way down. Most were closed due to damage, staff out because their house was damaged or they were full with disaster workers. The Kissimmee KOA welcomed us, said stay as long as you need and offered anything else to help. They were great. We stayed there 1 night and the next day started calling the 800 number about where we might end up. They originally put us up at CBR, but we had an odd mix of people in our group of 5 and the CBR would not have worked out very well. They moved us to Old Key West in a 2 bedroom villa. That had a full kitchen for our perishables, but I know the moderates/values didn't have that option.

I would head down, but call the 800 number and see what they suggest/offer. Once you are there, you can work out the details, especially if you have a place at the KOA as a back up.

j

Last edited:
Tks. I'm just getting a little antsy not knowing whether we're going to have to check out where we are now or not. I'd like to add a few days at the fort but I get the feeling I'm pushing myluck on that one.
When the last hurricane came through in '17 the Fort it was closed for about 2-3 weeks and I don't think that one was as bad. We were among the first ones allowed back in on opening day and we spent a lot of the first part of our vacation on the phone and wondering. I'd plan on it remaining closed and focus on enjoying your vacation, I know for us the stress of wondering sort of took away from the first part of the trip. It wasn't just flooding, but trees down everywhere.

When the last hurricane came through in '17 the Fort it was closed for about 2-3 weeks and I don't think that one was as bad. We were among the first ones allowed back in on opening day and we spent a lot of the first part of our vacation on the phone and wondering. I'd plan on it remaining closed and focus on enjoying your vacation, I know for us the stress of wondering sort of took away from the first part of the trip. It wasn't just flooding, but trees down everywhere.

Irma was a 10 day closure I believe ... hard to even speculate on what we could be looking at this time.

We are supposed to check in a week from today. I was really surprised Disney said that they couldn’t “keep” my reservation and that I should feel free to reschedule or cancel the trip. This wording made it seem like it’s still a possibility that the reservation would still be good if they open back up. If anyone has any experience with this I’d love to hear your feedback

Word from who and closed how long? I know families are enroute right now for a Saturday check in and they haven’t received any call telling them any differently.
i’m actually here now, I was scheduled to arrive at the Fort on the 26th with their reservation lasting through October 3. we were evacuated to Port Orleans riverside, and have today been informed we are going to stay at the Riverside for our length of our reservation without having to pay anything extra.

edited to add: a picture is worth 1000 wordsE6F496CD-8D8E-4C7C-94D3-02C56B5B0726.jpg

Last edited:
We are supposed to check in a week from today. I was really surprised Disney said that they couldn’t “keep” my reservation and that I should feel free to reschedule or cancel the trip. This wording made it seem like it’s still a possibility that the reservation would still be good if they open back up. If anyone has any experience with this I’d love to hear your feedback

Did they offer to move you to another resort. If the Fort will be closed for a couple weeks or more, I wonder if they'll continue to shift guests to other resorts or you'll just have the reschedule/cancel option?

We know Nancy Spann and use her services regularly. I can say she has very good relationships with Disney and Ft. W personnel so the projected reopening date Oct. 6th is very likely when DISNEY projects to having the resort able to be opened

My Ops Manager has a cabin at the Fort reserved starting next Tuesday (10/4). He just got a call and was told they are being moved to Old Key West. No end date. Just "until further notice".

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter