Formal nights:long dress vs. short?

CoolMom02

Earning My Ears
Question: On formal nights how many women actually wear long dresses? Would a cocktail dress be dressy enough or should I really wear a long dress? Do teenage girls typically wear short dresses? Thanks for any help!

A cocktail dress would fine, as well as a long dress...choice is yours. I have seen both and I have seen dressy pant suits. I usually wear a long dress for formal night and a pant suit for semi-formal.

My teens DD19 wears her prom/homecoming dress or a cocktail dress and my DD15 wears her cocktail dress to formal and a nice pants outfit to semi-formal.

MJ

Bringing 3 long skirts w/matching tops - 1 for formal, 1 for semi-formal and 1 for Lumiere's
Im wayyyy more comfortable in long skirts. Dont need nylons or high heels. Sometimes more comfortable than pants. (elastic waist)

There were definitely more cocktail dresses and pant suits than long dresses on our 7 day Magic cruise last July 4th. I wore an above the knee black cocktail dress for one night and a mid calf black and white halter dress for the other. Both without nylons and I was in no way underdressed. I think alot depends on your age as well. My MIL wore long dresses both evenings and I noticed many of the long formal dresses were being worn by women over 60.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Formal and Semi formal were a concern of mine too and once there realized just about anything goes.....saw long, short, tea length dresses, also lots of pant suits, skirts w/nice tops. Believe me ~ everyone is really having too much fun to worry about what everyone else is wearing. Enjoy ;)

I wore a long gown with beaded tpo for formal night, and a lace top with an ankle length black skirt for semi-formal night. I wore a black formal pant suit to Palo.

On our formal nights I would say well over three quarters of the women were in full length formal gowns, most of the rest in short cocktail dresses or tea length formal styles, and a few in "church clothes"...there were also a few slobs, but we won't go there.

On semi-formal night a lot of the ladies wore "church clothes" but there were still quite a few full length dresses.

Anne

I too had not really thought about buying/wearing a long dress, (you know, didn't know about going that far out!) until one day while passing through Sears, I happened to notice a long black dress that just jumped out at me.... Not a big full-skirted thing, like a prom dress (ughhh!!!!)... A beautiful slinky number with just a hint of sparkles. It was fabulous! As one poster mentioned, more comfortable than pants or a short dress-with all the slips, hosiery, tugging, keeping legs very tightly crossed, etc... And, when I slipped it on, I was instantly transported into cruise lah-lah-land!!! Visions of waltzing into Palo draped over DH's arm.... It was beautiful, elegant, not 'over-done' and yes, even sexy! So, just wanted to say, don't automatically rule out a long dress. Long could be just the perfect thing!

Only one problem.... I was in a hurry, didn't make up my mind to try on the next size and buy that day... Now all they have is one that is to large!!! Wahhhh!!!! And this was a very cheap dress too.... Ohhhh the joys and pitfalls of shopping to cruise!

Thank you guys for all your thoughts and experiences. Ya'll make the planning and packing for this cruise alot easier. Whether I go long or short I still think a shopping trip is in order!:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter