Formal Night Question

CarmenJames865

Earning My Ears
We are first time DCL cruisers on 12/14/13 on the Fantasy. :cool1:

With the change in the dress code for the dining room are families dressing up anymore for formal night?

I do not want to be the only one's that take formal night seriously. My daughter and I both have formal dresses (nothing over the top), and my son and husband will just wear suit pants with button up and tie.

Can anyone that has recently cruised offer an input on this for me please?

Thank You! :beach:

Don't worry, you won't be. People still like to dress up and get family photos taken. You will see everything from shorts to cocktail dresses to gowns to tuxedos. What you plan sounds fine. It's your cruise, don't worry how everybody else is going to dress, they won't care about yours.

I love to get dressed for dinner, I think a lot of people still feel this way.

I will be packing my dresses for my next cruise and my husbands suit too!

I already told everyone, the only person who can wear shorts in the dining room is my 5 year old grandson. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
But he will be dressed in pants on formal night too!

You will see TONS of people 'dressed to the nines,' for formal night.:) Many use it as a photo op for Christmas card photos (my family included.:lmao:) I still pack my formal, "Cinderella" sparkly shoes, and my husband wears a tux with a Mickey vest.

Have fun wearing your beautiful clothes!:thumbsup2

Both I and my DD13 were nice dresses and shoes for dinner except on casual nights, my DS wares slacks and a dress shirt we do not go crazy fancy but no shorts and such.

I think it's a great opportunity for you and your daughter to have somewhere to wear those dresses. Just think how great your family picture is going to look.

We dress up a little every night for dinner. For us, it adds to how special the time is. I think the servers appreciate it to.

We love dressing up, for our cruise next month my husband and 8 year old son are both bringing tuxes for formal night. My daughter and I wear dresses to dinner every night--it's just a fun thing for us. You will see a mix of all types of clothes and will not feel out of place. Wear what you enjoy! I like seeing people dressed up, but don't mind when people don't because it is their vacation and everyone should have fun :)

We will be dressing up! On formal night my husband will be wearing his dress uniform and if I can find a ball gown for cheap enough I'll be wearing one. Otherwise just a fancier short dress! My *plan* is to sew up a Prince costume for our son for this night too.

On formal night last week on the Fantasy (late seating), I'd say 1/3 actually "formal"--coat and tie, dress, etc. Then about 50% in long pants, polo shirt etc. The rest in shorts and t-shirts. I personally saw very few tuxedos or genuine "evening gowns" (maybe 4-5 couples) tho it's possible I may have missed seeing others dressed up like that.

All were admitted and fed equally!!

As was said earlier, no one wll really care what you have on--just dress to please yourself.

We wore formal wear on the 10/12 cruise and love the photos we have, especially those of our DS. I was surprised how few people in the early dinner seating were dressed up. Our table mates, also on their first Disney cruise, were not even aware there were formal or pirate nights. They assumed park dress was appropriate in the MDRs. Perhaps that explains why so few were dressed up...

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Playing the part of new cruiser...besides the DIS, how do "regular" people know what to wear when? Will our cruise documents have that info? It seems that everyone here knows the schedule, but I haven't seen anything on the DCL website or anywhere else. :confused3

mhconley said:
We wore formal wear on the 10/12 cruise and love the photos we have, especially those of our DS. I was surprised how few people in the early dinner seating were dressed up. Our table mates, also on their first Disney cruise, were not even aware there were formal or pirate nights. They assumed park dress was appropriate in the MDRs. Perhaps that explains why so few were dressed up...

Martin

That happened to us, too. We sat with people last cruise who said they would have dressed up if they'd known. They did not pack any dressy clothes.

Martin

Which is yet another reason we always request a separate table. I don't want to be dressed to the nines and then be seated with people in shorts.

We cruised on Oct. 5th Wonder and saw it all: Tuxedos to shorts, and everything in between. LOTS of opportunities for portraits to be taken of your family and/or lots of beautiful areas around the ship for someone to take your family's photo for you if you'd like one on the night when your family is dressed up.

It can be however you want it to be!:thumbsup2

Which is yet another reason we always request a separate table. I don't want to be dressed to the nines and then be seated with people in shorts.

It did not bother us at all... as a matter of fact we made great friends with a wonderful family that we would not have met had we requested a private table.

Martin

To us cruising is THE glamorous way to travel, so we dress up for formal, semi-formal and Palo dinner. Gowns, tuxedos and crowns (DD25 still wears her crowns!!) As a PP stated it's your cruise, enjoy it your way! Not only are the pictures fantastic, but we feel special all dressed up. Conversely, we dress up for Pirate night too!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter