Formal Night/Captain’s Reception Wear?

craftingEmbers

Earning My Ears
Hi!
I’m going on my first ever 7-night cruise with DCL next year [LP Inaugural on the Fantasy!], and was wondering about formal night. How formal does formal night get? Is it a floor-length dress night, or more of a church-clothes type deal?

You will see the gamut. I expect that cruise will bring out nicer outfits. My September cruise on the Fantasy had guests dressed nicer than I had been seeing for a few years.

If you want a chance to go fancy, this would be a great opportunity. A regular Summer fun sun dress would work, too.

Hi!
I’m going on my first ever 7-night cruise with DCL next year [LP Inaugural on the Fantasy!], and was wondering about formal night. How formal does formal night get? Is it a floor-length dress night, or more of a church-clothes type deal?
We were on the Fantasy last week - we had a full mix of everything from long dresses to regular clothes.

As others had said, you will see it all, shorts and tshirts to formal gowns and tuxes. I went a little down from what I usually do on our last cruise and wore just a regular dress. I noticed some really nice dresses that time. A few cruises ago on semi formal night I wore what I believe is an actual semi formal dress and I felt WAY over dressed. But wear what you want and get some nice pictures if that is what you are going for. :thumbsup2

As others had said, you will see it all, shorts and tshirts to formal gowns and tuxes.
If I was going, I would be one of those in shorts and a t-shirt. I don't feel comfortable dressing up in formal clothing. Most don't fit me right, so I end up being miserable if I'm forced to dress formally. So as long as they don't require me to dress formally, I'll dress in what I'm comfortable wearing.

Psy

That's what surprised us on the WBPC, many more shorts and T's than we normally see. Not sure if this is the new DCL trend or if it was an anomoly.

We have been sailing since 2000 and overall dinners have trended much more casual over the years. I actually broke down and wore nice shorts and a top to dinner 1 night (not formal night) on our last cruise. That was the first time I did that in 26 cruises.

We have been sailing since 2000 and overall dinners have trended much more casual over the years. I actually broke down and wore nice shorts and a top to dinner 1 night (not formal night) on our last cruise. That was the first time I did that in 26 cruises.
Been sailing since 1980. Tuxes were REQUIRED for gents back then for formal night, and a suit all other nights. Yes, cruising has gotten far far more casual. I don't take a tux anymore, but I still bring a suit for formal night

My totally unscientific theory seems to be that the more repeat cruisers, the more formalwear. Also, the longer the cruise, the more formal (which is weird because I'd think people would want to pack less).

Also, while there are always people who run the gamut of formal to casual, if you're in the atrium before dinner on formal night, it's going to SEEM like everyone is dressed formally (because they're all getting pics taken).

That said, I've never worn anything more fancy than a summery dress. That's formal for me because I'm not in sweats.

No problem with casual, golf shirt, or short sleeve shirt, dress shorts etc, but "T's" and ball caps etc were more the norm.

Been sailing since 1980. Tuxes were REQUIRED for gents back then for formal night, and a suit all other nights. Yes, cruising has gotten far far more casual. I don't take a tux anymore, but I still bring a suit for formal night

I agree! We have been cruising since 1995 (2000 on DCL) and back then, even on the Big Red Boat, dinners were way more dressy. I do hear more and more people don't want to dress up for their vacation but I enjoy it. I dont dress up at home so I'll take any excuse to do it.

We like to dress for dinner, so we do, but we understand it isn't for everyone. Like another poster mentioned, we are pretty casual at home and at the parks, so it is nice to fluff up a bit sometimes

I agree! We have been cruising since 1995 (2000 on DCL) and back then, even on the Big Red Boat, dinners were way more dressy. I do hear more and more people don't want to dress up for their vacation but I enjoy it. I dont dress up at home so I'll take any excuse to do it.
I get it. Cruise lines have made things more casual because they are just responding to demand from a segment of their passengers. Probably a pretty big segment.
Just like some complain that dinner in the MDR takes more than 30 minutes like they would have at IHOP or Dennys. My first cruise, dinner was a 12 course, 3 1/2 hour production. One seating at 6 pm, no room service, no alternate dining options (other than the nightly Midnight buffet)

I get it. Cruise lines have made things more casual because they are just responding to demand from a segment of their passengers. Probably a pretty big segment.
Just like some complain that dinner in the MDR takes more than 30 minutes like they would have at IHOP or Dennys. My first cruise, dinner was a 12 course, 3 1/2 hour production. One seating at 6 pm, no room service, no alternate dining options (other than the nightly Midnight buffet)

I am picturing the Love Boat, dinner with Captain Stubbing. :laughing:

I am picturing the Love Boat, dinner with Captain Stubbing. :laughing:
Exactly. And on that cruise the singer....................was the Captain. The Comedian was..........................the Cruise Director. But that cruise line was known for their gourmet food.
I was working as a photographer for a local TV station at the time and got paid to take this 2 week cruise while we recorded 5 half hour shows on cruising.......because it was 1980 and the Love Boat was a hot TV show.

I was on a Fantasy cruise last year where I felt underdressed in a cocktail dress as everyone seemed to have bring floor length gowns. It was the most formal I’d ever seen DCL.

That said it’s the only cruise I’ve seen that many people wear that kind of clothing. Normally you’ll see a mix, most people land in a dress/shirt-and-nice-pants kind of area.

I was on a Fantasy cruise last year where I felt underdressed in a cocktail dress as everyone seemed to have bring floor length gowns. It was the most formal I’d ever seen DCL.

That said it’s the only cruise I’ve seen that many people wear that kind of clothing. Normally you’ll see a mix, most people land in a dress/shirt-and-nice-pants kind of area.
On our last fantasy cruise we also saw many long gowns and men in tuxes.

We always dress up each night, more for semi/formal nights. Hardly get the chance to at home so this is a treat for us.
You will sometimes feel underdressed or overdressed depending on the night, I just don’t worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter