Formal Attire to California Grill

DDuckSouthBend

Carl Fredricksen In Training
We will be celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary during our November trip to WDW.
We are planning dinner at the California Grill on November 12th (Our actual Anniversary date).

I am wondering you all think about wearing Black Tie for that dinner?
Is it over the top?
Or do you think it would be fun?

I am working on convincing my spouse that it is a good idea, so any thought would be appreciated.

I mean, sure, it's over the top. But then again, black tie would even look a little over at Victoria and Albert's. Having said that, it's WDW! So doing fun things like that (and that are also elegant) are not exactly shocking and will definitely get you some smiles I would imagine. If I saw someone in black tie there I would think it's great ;)

If you are fine likely being the only ones, go for it. As others said, there will be park attire in the mix.

It may be over the top but it could be fun. The dress code isn't really enforced from my experience at signature dining restaurants so you will definitely see people wearing "park clothes" like t shirts, shorts and flip flops (not saying it's right or wrong. Just pointing out what I've seen going to these locations). As long as you don't mind standing out, I say do it.

I've seen the brides and grooms running around EPCOT in full attire - GO FOR IT!

We always dress nicer to go there - dresses, pants and collared shirts. I would love to sit next to you over the casual-ites.

And take some great pictures! Go out before fireworks and get someone standing around to do a "photo shoot" for you! Find some spots around the hotel and just ask people to take pictures (google in advance for ideas).

What a great fancy memory!!! 🎩👠🥂

PLEASE do it and come back to share pictures!

I agree with everyone - I think it's a wonderful idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if you got some very special treatment from the CMs too. Congratulations on the milestone anniversary!

...black tie would even look a little over at Victoria and Albert's.

Better that by far, IMO, than the man wearing chinos, sandals and a particularly gaudy Hawaiian shirt we saw there last trip.

The official Disney info for V&A's still says: Guests are expected to dress accordingly in semi-formal/formal attire that respects the restaurant’s elegant and opulent aesthetic.

For a milestone anniversary, I think formal wear entirely appropriate for Cali Grill. Do that and have a wonderful meal.

Better that by far, IMO, than the man wearing chinos, sandals and a particularly gaudy Hawaiian shirt we saw there last trip.

The official Disney info for V&A's still says: Guests are expected to dress accordingly in semi-formal/formal attire that respects the restaurant’s elegant and opulent aesthetic.

For a milestone anniversary, I think formal wear entirely appropriate for Cali Grill. Do that and have a wonderful meal.
I am surprised at that. They are very insistent on dress code on the two recent visits we've had there. Can't have seen that outfit getting past the dress code monitor we had on both occasions.

As PP's have noted, you will, most likely, be the only people there dressed in black tie/formal attire. If you find that comfortable and you think it will be fun - go for it!

I wear suits there so why not.. and people only care when someone is underdressed in a nice restaurant. Nobody will care if overdressed. Probably think your VIPs

Is your spouse aware of what other people will be wearing? And will your spouse feel uncomfortable by being overdressed compared to the other people in the restaurant? Some people might think it's fun to stand out in a crowd, but other people might not enjoy the spotlight. I don't think the issue is what other people will think; I think the issue is how it will feel for the two of you.

Will you have the space in your luggage for your outfits, including nice shoes?

Well it is settled then, I am going to wear my Tux, and now to convince my bride to wear her formal.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
Not that many men out there these days that actually own their own Tux. I have two. Would you be a Traveling Man?

I am not. We just like to dress up for special occasions and have found that it is better to own a Tux that is tailored for you, than hoping a rental will fit properly.

That and with the recent trend in wedding receptions to be asked to wear black tie, it just makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter