• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

foreign currency

I use a debit card that refunds all ATM fees, and pull money out as needed once I land. Make sure you decline the conversion, as this costs a lot more than using your banks own exchange rate!! But I mostly use credit cards that don’t charge a foreign exchange fee. Last year in Greece, I used tap to pay with my credit card everywhere and it was so convenient.

I also have a backup debit card in case the main one gets eaten or lost, and carry a couple hundred in USD as a last resort for exchanging at a bank or currency exchange.

I find everyone is mostly credit and debit card, with the exception of night market vendors or small markets. I bring a few hundred in new 20s just in case.

Depends on the country. I live in Europe. For most European countries I don't bring cash. Also not anymore for the United States. I did bring local currency on my Disney Asia tour, worth $50-$100 per country.

It depends how cash focused the country is and if I have been there before. To the US I brought dollars for my first vacation, but after that I didn't think it was necessary.

Not an answer to your question, rather a comical story. In preparation for our trip to China, my mother went to the bank and ordered and pretty decent amount of Yen. I had a couple of travelers checks and some US Dollars (plus the required $3,000 US cash required by the orphanage - that made me nervous to carry that around)

So, the first time Mom went to spend her Yen, we happened to be at the hotel. Managers were called, then security and there were conversations in Chinese and glances our way. Turns out, Mom did not know the difference between Yen (Japanese money) and Yuan (Chinese money) and the American with Yen caroused suspicions.

It all got sorted out in the end.

Depends on the country. I live in Europe. For most European countries I don't bring cash. Also not anymore for the United States. I did bring local currency on my Disney Asia tour, worth $50-$100 per country.

It depends how cash focused the country is and if I have been there before. To the US I brought dollars for my first vacation, but after that I didn't think it was necessary.
Very much this. My DS17 was told not to count on being able to use a debit card for South Korea. They'll be at the World Scout Jamboree, so we have no idea what facilities of any kind will be available. His trip to France, I'm much less concerned about him using his debit card.

So, back when we used to travel internationally, we would bring the equivalent of $1000 in local currency. just in case anything ever went wrong and the cards couldn't be used. We had so many hiding places for the money too, lol

Just curious with all those saying they use their bank and credit cards for foreign travel, do you have a special plan on your bank accounts that don't charge you through the nose in foreign exchange fees on top of the exchange rate? Not a naysayer, just wondering what others experience.
Our cards charge no foreign transaction fees. We enjoy going to markets and festivals so carry a bit of cash as some vendors do not accept credit cards...$500-$600. We always "buy" money before we leave Europe because ATM fees are less than the bank charges in the US. I only use ATMs inside of banks and keep it locked except when I am ready to make a transaction. I NEVER use my debit card for anything other than ATM's while out of the country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter