Forecast - thunderstorms next 10 days

I live on the gulf coast and the tropical depression you're talking about hasn't even formed yet. They are still very unsure what it is going to do and over half the models have it veering away from central Florida completely. Yes the rain chances have increased, but nothing tells me that it's going to be a full week of pouring rain. I don't think it's going to be the problem that you are anticipating.

What forecast are you looking at???

http://m.wesh.com/weather/forecast

Almost every day it says a chance of showers or scattered showers. That is typical September weather and not even close to "non stop rain."
was watching WESH and they said it's going to be a HEAVY rain maker Monday through Wednsday and then it is going to linger around until Sunday with Heavy rain on and off from Thursday through Sunday.

I hope your're right, and either I misheard him or WWESH just stinks with their forecasting

The storm that was supposed to head into Florida looks like it shifted down instead of up. I think you will be fine.
According to local weather, the most likely path is to skirt the bottom of Florida and to swing up towards the panhandle and the sit and linger for a few days before it moves out. All I know is they said heavy rainmaker for days for the central Florida area.

Weather channel looks like 40-60% rain chances the next few days there. Mainly in the afternoons. So that's a 60-40% chance of staying dry, right? Not the best odds, but not the worst. My plan would be to hit the parks early at Rope Drop, if possible, and play the afternoons by ear. I just have a feeling it will be better than you're worried it will be.
Oh, if it ends up being the typical Florida afternoon rain I know that well and can deal with that. I expected that.

Okay, you guys are helping me feel better. As I said I have been here about 50 times, so I'm familiar with the afternoon Florida rain. This just looked and sounded worse from t=what they were saying on the WESH 11 pm news forecast. Hopefully we get enough breaks of dryness to enjoy the things we want.

Thanks Again for the boost

Yeah I know Florida weather, but this isn't usual Florida storms, this is a tropical depression that no matter which track it takes is supposed to dump heavy rain all week almost non stop.

As for poncho-ing it.... We might try it but not if it's as heavy as they are forecasting. My wife and daughter are not the "getting soaked" type, no matter how much money we have already put out. Also, Ponchos don't do anything when it rains that heavy, you may as not bother wearing one, you will get just as wet. Unless you have rain gear that costs a few hundred dollars, believe me, I know, I'm a mailman. Also, the main attractions that we want to ride are all going to be closed. Everest, Kilimanjaro, Big Thunder(already closed), Splash, Mine Train.

I'm seriously thinking about not using our 5 day Park hoppers and saving them for another trip and maybe just paying day by day depending on how hard it's raining.
Actually, it is kind of typical for Florida at this time of year! There is always a tropical depression threatening the area from now until Oct!!! We've been there for a hurricane...just not a huge deal. I've been there when the rain was so heavy (at 3pm) that the lights came on in the MK!!! We head down next Sat...we'll have water sandals, ponchos and a good frame of mind. It is what it is. I've been there at this time of year when there was no rain!!! Believe me...I'll take the rain! It was awful with no rain.

i just checked the weather channel 10 day forecast and it has thunderstorms every day. We leave next Saturday. I know it rains a lot me can be short bursts of rain, but I didn't expect that kind of forecast. Any thoughts or tips to survive if this does happen? We have two young daughters 2 and 4 and were planning 5 park days.

Rope drop, cause it rarely rains in the morning. Bring or wear sandals and ponchos and have fun! :)
The sunny days make me cranky this time of year. Lots of clouds are good.

It's Florida. Thunderstorms crop up every day this time of year. Grab a poncho and enjoy the less crowded park that clears out from the rain.

We fly out tomorrow morning. Especially when at Disney, I purposely go out of my way to look at the silver linings. . . Lots of rain means clouds which will hopefully lower temps a bit, and it will hopefully lower crowds as well.
I have lots of dollar store ponchos, and even if they don't help, we don't let rain slow us down.

i just checked the weather channel 10 day forecast and it has thunderstorms every day. We leave next Saturday. I know it rains a lot me can be short bursts of rain, but I didn't expect that kind of forecast. Any thoughts or tips to survive if this does happen? We have two young daughters 2 and 4 and were planning 5 park days.

My advice..... ditch the weather forecast because it is only a forecast, not 100% accurate. Thunderstorm is always in the forecast for FL. Just be prepared to walk in the rain. We had the same type of weather forecast for our trip a couple weeks ago. We drove to WDW and was greeted by very bad downpour as we got closer to WDW. We just didn't care about the rain since we had crocs and ponchos. As it turned out, it just drizzled here and there during our stay. On our DHS day, it was rainy in the morning. We were there 6 days and there were days when there was not a drop of rain until late at night. On our AK day, it started to rain (thunderstorm) around 6pm so we went inside to see the Lion King. But the time we got out, the rain stopped...

So don't worry about the thunderstorm in the weather forecast unless a potential hurricane is approaching. Have a great trip!

Thanks. I just realized there was another post about the storms. It's funny how just yesterday my worry was the heat! I think taking sandals is a great idea and we will just roll with it.

Of course the daily piece shows showers every day.

Check out the hourly forecasts. Its typical afternoon showers predicted.

I was more worried a few days ago than i am now. There will be times where it's heavier rain but again typical for this time of year.

We were down there this past summer during the tropical storm. The forecast was ominous but the worst seemed to go around Disney. We had a little rain at night. Lots of thunder. My son wore his bathing suit and rash-guard but never needed it. It rained almost all night before we went into MK. We prepared for rain all day but never broke out the ponchos. I think it misted a couple of times.

Good Luck!

You're looking at the standard late summer forecast for central Florida. This time of year, there will likely be at least one thunderstorm somewhere in the Orlando area every day. That's what that forecast means.

It doesn't mean that there are definitely going to be thunderstorms where you are. It can be storming wildly in MK and sunny in Epcot. It also doesn't mean that there are thunderstorms all day long.

That's just the way the weather is in late August. You could go all week long with bright sunshine and not a drop of rain or a rumble of thunder, and the forecast is still correct because there were storms someplace else in the forecast area.

Why worry over a "chance" of t-storms?? First, from May though October, clouds are good, not bad. It's really hot in Florida this time of year...really hot. The best days we have at WDW are overcast days (unless we're going to a water park). I'd also bet that if you checked the forecast during those 6 months, 85% of the days will have a chance of t-storms. We were there for 17 days just this past June/July and the forecast had a chance of storms at least 13 or 14 of those days. The number of days we actually got caught in storms...3. A chance of storms doesn't mean it WILL storm. Like others said, morning storms are uncommon, it's usually late afternoon/early evening, so plan accordingly.

Even if it does storm, not a big deal. Ponchos will be all you need.

Last week there were posts about cancelling a trip set for this week based on the forecast from last week. It's impossible to know what's going to happen in FL until it's either just about ot happen or is happening. Heck, I was there and I only "called it" 2/3 times while looking at storm clouds. My son is in a cast, non waterproof, and having the plastic cover on it is obnoxious for him, so I was keeping a close eye out to make sure we could get him under cover. And one day despite it feeling like rain and looking like rain, it never happened. Where we were, that is.

It really does stink when it rains on vacation! We lost 1/2 a day of vacation this summer (not Disney) due to flight delays. That half day was our only day of no rain where we were spending 3 nights. It poured day one. The entire day. We were soaked. We were tired but since it was a one time shot at visiting we went out and enjoyed it the best we could. We were kind of crabby (jet lag and cold, rain) but I'm glad we went out. The rest of our trip was sunny and HOT. (90s) At Disney I swear by their rain ponchos. Any cheap ones I have taken have been a joke. Throw one on and go see the sites. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter