Forced Menopause

feenie

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I'm having a hysterectomy next month, and they will also be removing my ovaries. This will bring on menopause immediatly.
Does any one have experience with this? How bad are the symptoms, and about how long did they last? How quickly after surgery did you start having them?
Any info you can share would be appreciated!

I was thrown into chemopause pretty abruptly after the first round of chemo. I had night sweats and hot flashes for several months after. The silver lining was that I was so miserable from the chemo, that the menopause symptoms were barely noticed. :thumbsup2

Good luck with your surgery.

7 years later and I am still having surgical menopause issues. I was 32 when it began. Dryness, hot flashes, and migraines have been my worst ones.

I was 50 when I had the same surgery. About a month after surgery, I had my first hot flash. Since then, I've had hot flashes and night sweats. It's been ten years and I'm still having them.

Due to having had breast cancer, in the past, I could not take hormone replacement. Luckily for me, I've not noticed any mood issues.

Good luck!

I just recently started menopause, and mine is not forced or chemically induced, it's natural.

I'd always heard about hot flashes and night sweats, but never dreamed they are as miserable and annoying as they are.

Have no idea how long the symptoms last, or if there is a difference in how long they last if it's natural or chemically induced menopause.

I have an appointment scheduled in a week with family doc and am going to ask if I can get some type of med to at least help with the symptoms.

Good luck to you, op.

OP, you are me. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago. I was no where near menopause. I tell people that I slammed full force into menopause. I will be honest, it is miserable. I don't take hormones, they didn't help and in fact made my mood actually worse. My hot flashes are horrible and I have most other symptoms. Forgetfulness, dryness, not flashes. Mood is fair on a good day. I never had PMS and I don't know ho to handle this. Also skin and hair are doing strange things. Good news, I don't have to worry about any type of cancer in the uterus or ovaries.

PS I had my first hot flash int he recovery room, and even with the hormone patch I still had them.

I had the same surgery in August. I already knew that I was a happier, nicer, smarter person with more estrogen. (i.e. loss of estrogen + job = bad) So hrt is my best friend. A little estrogen and just a bit of testosterone, and the world is a much better place. Especially for those around me! pixiedust:

Back in 2005 I was thrown into menopause overnight from breast cancer treatments. The hot flashes nearly did me in .... multiple times per hour, turning beat red with sweat dripping down my temples. I learned to live with it, reminding myself that the alternative was the stinkin' cancer. I'd rather be sweating than 6 feet under. KWIM? Over the years the severity and frequency have decreased although I still 'flash' multiple times per day, its a LOT better than it was during the first few years.

while this may be taking a little thunder from the OP anyone have advice for a 19 year old being forced into a similar situation. Forced medical menopause with depolupraon (sp) for endometrios. I don't know what to expect being a typical 19 year old girl! My mother isn't even in menopause yet.

while this may be taking a little thunder from the OP anyone have advice for a 19 year old being forced into a similar situation. Forced medical menopause with depolupraon (sp) for endometrios. I don't know what to expect being a typical 19 year old girl! My mother isn't even in menopause yet.

My 24 year old daughter did the depo Lupron shots for endometriosis last year. After the first shot, she started experiencing hot flashes. That was about the worst symptom. She did the shots after having surgery for the endometriosis. Between the two, her pain was much less.

In case they haven't mentioned it, the shots are about $2000 a piece.

Back in 2005 I was thrown into menopause overnight from breast cancer treatments. The hot flashes nearly did me in .... multiple times per hour, turning beat red with sweat dripping down my temples. I learned to live with it, reminding myself that the alternative was the stinkin' cancer. I'd rather be sweating than 6 feet under. KWIM? Over the years the severity and frequency have decreased although I still 'flash' multiple times per day, its a LOT better than it was during the first few years.

very similar experience, 5 years later...still some flashes as I am still at an age when most are not even beginning "normal" menopause.....yeah it stinks, but in the BIG picture...doable..............
Good Luck to you.,

I've had endo and PCOS as far back as they could find it was age 15. I have dealt with this now for about 15 years. I have been through everything: the meds, the surgeries, the pain, the suffering.

I would say it is up to your wishes of which you would like to do. Do you want to take meds to put you in a menopause or possibly find another option. Has your doctors given you other options?

My personal story is I refused to take Lupron. I was too afraid that it would mess me up to the point where I wouldnt be able to have children eventually.

I also wont have anything injected into me like Depo or meds such as that because I was worried about long term effects. There's also Uterine Implants they would use but I said no because they could perferate the uterus, once again me saying no because I want a possibility of kids.

It's up to you. My doctor has had me on Aygestin permanently (I don't get off it maybe once or twice a year). That has had the least amount of side effects for me as well as the least chances of problems conceiving etc in the future. It has worked very well for me.
I wish you all the best in making the decision that is best for you.
:flower3:

Hi,
I'm having a hysterectomy next month, and they will also be removing my ovaries. This will bring on menopause immediatly.
Does any one have experience with this? How bad are the symptoms, and about how long did they last? How quickly after surgery did you start having them?
Any info you can share would be appreciated!

I had forced menopause numerous times, prior to my hysto- I took Lupron (with zero side effects). I have not had ovaries or a uterous for about 10 years, I have yet to take a hormone replacement of any type. So- I have to say.....it was the best thing that ever happened to me AND I feel great. Good luck :)

I took Depo Lupron around 1997-98 and never had any side effects. I had a hysterectomy in December and they put a hormone patch on me in the operating room. They didn't give me a chance to have a hot flash. :rotfl: I used patches for a month or two, but the adhesive was too harsh for my skin, so now I am on bioidentical hormones. Still haven't had any side effects. I may take them forever.......

I've had endo and PCOS as far back as they could find it was age 15. I have dealt with this now for about 15 years. I have been through everything: the meds, the surgeries, the pain, the suffering.

I would say it is up to your wishes of which you would like to do. Do you want to take meds to put you in a menopause or possibly find another option. Has your doctors given you other options?

My personal story is I refused to take Lupron. I was too afraid that it would mess me up to the point where I wouldnt be able to have children eventually.

I also wont have anything injected into me like Depo or meds such as that because I was worried about long term effects. There's also Uterine Implants they would use but I said no because they could perferate the uterus, once again me saying no because I want a possibility of kids.

It's up to you. My doctor has had me on Aygestin permanently (I don't get off it maybe once or twice a year). That has had the least amount of side effects for me as well as the least chances of problems conceiving etc in the future. It has worked very well for me.

I am so glad to see the OP and this post.

I have been struggling with the decision on what to do. I have PCOS and most likely endo. My gyno wants to do either a complete hyster (isn't sure if he will take the ovaries or not - depends on what he finds) OR medically-induced menopause.

That being said, over the last couple of weeks, I think I've started having hot flashes. Now I'm really confused about what to do. Do I go ahead and get the surgery with the chance of being thrown into full-blown menopause? I wonder if my symptoms will be less with the medically-induced version, but now that I'm having hot flashes I wonder if I should just go ahead and let nature take its course?

I'm so confused. I've been trying to make my decision since last August. Sorry to hijack the thread, OP. :sad:

I had the same surgery 7 years ago. Had very very mild symptoms for a couple of months. Barely noticed them. Which was good, because my doctor told me meds weren't a viable option for me.

My mother went through menopause naturally, also without symptoms.

Unfortunately, hormone treatments work differently for everyone, and you never really know how you react until you get into them.

I've had endo since forever, diagnosed almost 30 years ago. I've done Lupron twice, and managed to get pregnant when I was 37, so Lupron does not necessarily affect fertility. A friend took it while undergoing fertility treatments and never managed to get pregnant. I don't think it was the Lupron that affected our outcomes.

IF you can take bcps, and there are so many out there that having issues with one means you will have issues with all, they are awesome for some women with endo. I was one of my doctor's first patients to simply take them non-stop: no periods. At that point, I'd done the then-available hormone treatments twice, but still ended up hospitalized when having a period. It was my only option other than hysterectomy at that point.

I took them for 9 years, then took 3 months off completely, then a year normally before my painful periods came back. Went back on non-stop for a few more years, then did surgery, Lupron (twice), and successfully got pregnant first try (assisted). :love: After a year, my periods were almost normal, but dr and I decided to go back on non-stop bcps because we didn't know how long that would be good for.

So... once I reached a 'certain' age, my dr and I decided to see if I could slide thru menopause gently. Not. After about 4 months, I had a period that woudln't end. Went on Aygestin to stop it, and it worked. I took Aygestin for the six months before my hysterectomy. Granted, at the time, I was already old enough that my estrogen levels were dropping. However, I nearly lost my job due to problems with my cognitive abilities. Post-surgery, I went on hrt and have re-acquainted myself with my brain.

Everyone's experience is different with hormones. At 19, you will hopefully have many opportunities to find out what your experience will be. Just remember, there are many different things to try. Your biggest challenge will be to find a doctor that you trust (and who trusts you) so that you will have a good partnership. I've had two doctors, and they were wonderful. I've also had a few that I've ended up walking out of.

Good luck. (Sorry for hijacking your post, OP!)

p.s. on Lupron, I had no hot flashes, but I was mean. And paranoid. I felt like I had no friends. And I didn't, because I was mean. But, after the 6-month course, I was myself again. No permanent changes. My friend had hot flashes. Her admin assistant quit when she heard that my friend was going on Lupron again.

Had a total hysterectomy in 1998 and the Dr. had me on monthly Lupron injections for 3 months prior to try and shrink my uterus before surgery. The Lupron gave me extreme hot flashes where I could swear my head was about to melt!
After the surgery I was on a low-dose estrogen patch for 3 years, and then got weaned off it. I have had menopausal symptom ever since that don't seem inclined to abate. My Dr. told me that some women have hot flashed for their entire lives, and it looks like I am one of them! Lucky me....:sad:

I had an 'emergency' hysterectomy 12 years ago & can honestly say that I never experienced any menopausal effects at all. I did the hormone patch only until the sample pack the doctor gave me ran out.

I had an 'emergency' hysterectomy 12 years ago & can honestly say that I never experienced any menopausal effects at all. I did the hormone patch only until the sample pack the doctor gave me ran out.

You are so lucky. To me, this is worse than any period that I ever had to deal with, at least that only 6-7 days of pure hell, I have yet to have even 1 day that feel normal, and it has been that way ever since I had my surgery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter