• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Forceably remove child from ride?

Thank you eeyoresmountainpals and mlwear! These are things I need to hear and I am so grateful. One of my questions was what age is the best time to go for autistic children and mlwear you said 7 years. I hope you post how your trip went for him. I guess maybe that would be a good age to go. Just as I get older it feels like I hope I will be in decent shape in 5 years to go myself LOL. Like I said I will continue on this site and will have alot of questions, just glad I know they will be answered. Now, I want to apologize to the original poster if I got them off track on this thread. Sorry.

>>> punishing ourselves...

Parents have a primary activity and special responsibility when bringing children to the parks: parenting. As a parent you must get your child off the ride if that is the rule for the date and hour (crowded, etc.). On the other hand parenting includes occasionally letting a special needs child ride again once, if the ride operator says it is OK. Also worth noting: Compared with a "normal" child there are more difficult to identify occasions when a special needs child does not understand when and why he is being punished and when that happens punishment is not appropriate yet.

>>> he is all muscle

You are entitled to have extra muscle in the form of Disney security help you and of course the ride has to be stopped until your child can be extricated.

Parenting includes time-outs when children throw tantrums despite the fact it might have cost more than $60. per family member to enter the park which equates to so many dollars per hour.

Special needs accommodations (except for Make A Wish) do not include re-rides upon request.

If you want your primary activity at Disney to be enjoying Disney, commando style or otherwise, arrange for child care at home and go solo or with your spouse.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Wow, sometimes I feel that these boards are a wealth of information but sometimes I'm afraid to say anything for fear it will be taken wrong.

seashoreCM ~ I got the feeling that you did not like my wording on my post. as far as:

">>> punishing ourselves..."

">>>Parents have a primary activity and special responsibility when bringing children to the parks: parenting. As a parent you must get your child off the ride if that is the rule for the date and hour (crowded, etc.).."

You are right...parents do have the primary activity and responsibility when bringing children to the parks: parenting. They have this responsibility not only in the parks but anywhere. And that relates to parents of all children, not just special needs children. But in punishing a child, special needs or not, often it is harder on the parents or other children in the family than it is on the child being punished. However, in doing this, the child learns. Some children learn quickly, others not as quickly.

">>>when a special needs child does not understand when and why he is being punished and when that happens punishment is not appropriate yet."

I disagree that anyone outside of the family has the right to judge or determine for themselves whether a special needs child understands when and why they're being punished and it is not up to anyone outside of the situation to decide when, and if, punishment is appropriate. Unless you live with that child and know the situation, you don't know what that particular child understands. To this day, with our son now being 16, he will still act like he doesn't understand something when he is around strangers. However, we (our entire family) know that he does.

">>> he is all muscle"

">>>You are entitled to have extra muscle in the form of Disney security help you and of course the ride has to be stopped until your child can be extricated."

Luckily, he now does understand about taking turns and getting off rides when his turn is over. And he understands this by the way that we have consistently tried to follow rules with him. We did have to physically remove him when he was younger and smaller. But he has learned, because of consistency, what is expected. All I meant is that it would be very hard for me to have to physically remove him if I had to because he is so strong now. My husband is in law enforcement and he does have the physical strength to do this if needed, but luckily it's not needed any more.

">>>Special needs accommodations (except for Make A Wish) do not include re-rides upon request."

We have never requested re-rides for our son. There have often been some well-meaning CMs that have offered this as an option and, quite honestly, that has caused confusion for our son. He would look at the situation as, well, I didn't want to get off last time and they let me ride again so why can't I this time. We always stuck to the one time policy and thanked the CM. A few times when he was younger we have required a little extra time to get him off a ride and for that we have always apologized. Other than that, I don't know what we should have done.

">>>If you want your primary activity at Disney to be enjoying Disney, commando style or otherwise, arrange for child care at home and go solo or with your spouse."

This is the comment that made me really feel as though you did not like my post or had an issue with me. Why should my child have to stay home from Disney simply because he is learning some of the rules and learning some etiquette issues even if he is probably learning those issues a little slower than others? Disney World is for families. I can't imagine going and leaving one of my four children at home.

I'm curious as to whether or not you have a special needs child or have just observed situations? Every family is different. Every child is different. And everyone has to handle their situations differently and in a way that is best for their family. What works for one family may not work for another. By posting on this forum I was just trying to relate our experiences to other families with special needs children. And I was trying to encourage the original posters (since my child is a little older than theirs) so that they would know that things do get better; a combination of your child learning and your own learning of the best ways to handle situations.

I apologize that this is so long but I had to get my feelings out. I'm sure I will get flamed for this but I feel that my post, and others, were taken wrong and unfairly attacked. Being flamed is a risk I'm willing to take.

So glad you posted a reply eeyoresmountainpals. That reply burned me up and I just resisted writing a response.
I think you said it all. EXCEPT--one issue in particular that I thought was far out of line...Getting Disney Security involved! You have to be kidding me. Worst idea EVER. Only should come to that if the child is doing harm to himself or others--that doesn't include that someone has to wait longer for a ride. I would be surprised if security has been trained in how to handle people with special needs as the training has really just started for police and fire men. Yeah, that would be a very pleasant moment having your kid pulled off a ride by security.
It takes a lot to parent a special needs kid. A LOT. I don't know too many that are slackers. It isn't as easy as what some may think. Parenting advice for a special needs child is a completely different ballgame than with a "typical" child.

mlwear ~ Thanks for your support. I have not read the boards for several days or I would have posted a lot sooner. When I checked the boards today I just could not believe seashoreCM's post. But you are right...it's typical of things that we always have to deal with.

I agree with you completely about security. That's the last thing my son would need. Not only is it a situation that most security officers are not trained to deal with but also if it wasn't dealt with properly it's something that could leave a special needs child (or really any child) afraid of security officers, police officers, etc.

I hope you have a wonderful first trip to WDW this summer with your son. When are you going and where will you be staying?

eeyoresmountainpals said:
mlwear ~
I hope you have a wonderful first trip to WDW this summer with your son. When are you going and where will you be staying?

We aren't going until mid-August (thought we'd try to go when it is the hottest :rotfl2: No, only time in the summer we can. DS has ESY (extended school year) through the first two weeks in August, so when he is done, we are out of here!

Kind of wish I had waited to tell the kids though. They are so excited and the wait is so long. Afraid they'll waste their whole summer dreaming about it. I want to get everything set up now, so we can just put it on the back burner for a while.

We are staying at the Poly. Transportation was key in our decision. We haven't been since our honeymoon and then stayed off property. I hope we made a good resort choice. It looks really fun there. DS loves the beach. It is his favorite place in the world (mine too), so I'm hoping he'll get a bit of that there. As long as there is some kind of water around, we're in good shape.

I think parents of special needs kids must stick together. No one who hasn't lived it understands fully what life for us is like. Not that it is necessarily bad, but is definitely different. :goodvibes

Just a reminder (before it's needed) that personal attacks are not allowed.
Sometimes bad advice is given with the good.

Just for the record, there are times when CMs allow people to ride more than once. In fact there are several threads on the Theme Park Boards where people have recently mentioned that they rode more than once with family members who do not have disabilities. It was not busy, and they asked if they could stay on rather than get off and come right back on.

Because the CMs can see what difficulty we have transferring DD onto rides, we are sometimes asked by the CM if we want to ride again if they don't have any other special needs parties waiting. That isn't a problem for us since DD understands this is a special situation that doesn't always happen. For some people, it may be more confusing for their child and they may not want to do it. Someone who insists on doing it and thinks it is (or should be) a "perk" of having a disability is wrong, but occassionally asking if it's possible to do a second ride is OK, at the discretion of the CM.

Also, I agree that it would not be helpful to involve WDW Security. In fact, I am quite certain that WDW would want to avoid the spectacle of security dragging someone off a ride (especially a person with special needs that they may not be prepared to handle).

To all - If I came off as personally attacking anyone in my post I do apologize! I am really not looking to attack anyone, just justify my post. Again, I apologize if I was out of line.

mlwear ~ I think you'll love the POLY. That's where we always stay. If your DS loves the beach he'll probably love the volcanoe pool as well. It has a zero entry!

The transportation to and from the POLY is great! You can take the monorail from the POLY, take a boat to MK from the POLY dock, or walk to the TTC and catch the monorail to EPCOT (with one less transfer by doing it that way) or take a boat to MK.

Have fun and stay cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter