? for you solos who are comfortable with solo sit-down dining?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I'm wondering if you're more comfortable with it if you dine alone frequently at home. This is why I wonder. When my sons were home, I always dined with them. However, now that we're empty-nesters and DH travels alot on business, I eat alone at home more often than not. The other night I just felt like going out to eat-DH out of town. No problem, no feelings of self-consciousness, as I dined by myself. So now my new theory is that people who regularly dine by themselves at home are far more comfortable dining alone at WDW. What do you think? BTW, now I can't wait to make ressies for all those sit-down meals I've avoided, but really wanted to try on my next trip!

I'm single so I pretty much eat all meals alone. That could make me more comfortable eating out alone but what really has made me comfortable eating out alone is all the times that I had to do it while traveling on business.

I really just don't even think about it any more. The way I look at it is that there are places that I want to eat. In most cases, if I have to wait for someone to go with me, I might not get there very soon, so I just go. I always enjoy it.

I talk a lot to the server. Most of the time they are very glad to slow down from time to time and chat. I don't think they get much conversation from others customers.

You are probably right, Simba's Mom. My son is all grown up and moved away and my husband is often not home for dinner. It's been this way several years. I am used to eating alone and it doesn't bother me to go to a "sit down" restaurant alone.

My BF works construstion and gets up very early so he eats and goes to bed early, many times before I get home from work. With my daughters grown and gone, I don't like to cook for just myself so I will often eat out. I think you are right about being comfortable with eating alone. I know my 31 year old daughter would go hungry before she would go into a sit-down restaurant to eat (she says that's what drive-thru's are for!). When I've traveled with her in the past, she is such a picky eater that we usually go where she wants to eat, or I wind up paying for an expensive meal that she doesn't like. So, yes, I'm going to make PS rezzies at some of the restaurants I want to try! :bounce:

When I go out shopping here in London I usually like to have a brak and I enjoy going to a restaurant and having a full-service meal - I usually have something to read to keep me occupied. But I can't say that I find the servers or other guests very friendly here - LOL sorry fellow Londoners ;)

I so love food that being on my own would not stop me from eating alone so I don't care.

In WDW I was daunted by the prospect of eating alone and although I only ended up doing it once I can't wait to do more alone dining. I did sit up at the counter which you can do at some of the restaurants like JIKO, Flying Fish and California Grill and the staff talk lots to you if you want. But I figure if I sit in the main dining area - servers will talk to you more if you engage them more in conversation and because I'm so nosey I could see myself talking to fellow diners (but not in an annoying way I do respect others privacy etc). I just find the American people so friendly that I can't help myself :)

When I eat out alone, I always bring something to read. I hate just sitting there staring out in to nothing...unless I've had one of those days. If eating out by yourself makes you a little nervouse bring something to read for those sit down meals. Bring a small book that you can fit into your fanny pack or put one in your backpack.

I never really thought of it that way, Simba's Mom. I'm single and eat alone most of the time as well so that may make me more comfortable dining alone at restaurants. I also don't mind not having anyone to talk to most of the time because I enjoy people watching and just soaking in all that is Disney when I'm at WDW.

I live alone, so I also eat alone most of the time. While I never think of dining out alone at home, I did it at WDW. It's pretty rare for me to travel on business, and when I do, I alternate between eating in my room and dining out. But I refuse to go on vacation and not enjoy my meals. And I'm just not a hamberger kind of a girl.

deb

I'm pretty comfortable dining solo at home, so dining solo at WDW never bothers me. On my last trip I got to try some great restaurants (Spoodle's is EXCELLENT!). I love to read, so I always have a book in my backpack. After I've ordered, I pull it out and start reading (after taking in the atmosphere). This takes the pressure off and I get to have a good meal, while reading a good book. It comes in handy while waiting for parades or shows to start too. :smooth:

Well I'm not single and haven't gone to WDW solo, but I do find myself eating out alone quite a bit. I go on a number of business trips alone and have had to eat a number of lunches alone at WDW, while my husband was at different conferences. A lot of it depends on my mood. Quite often I go to nicer restaurants and eat in the lounge or bar. Bartenders are usually good company. Then again, there are times that I just want to think or read and get a table by myself. One of my favorite memories happened a couple years ago at DD. My husband was at a conference all week and I found myself heading to DD a number of times during the day. One day I bought a Rum Runner at the frozen drink shack by the lagoon and sat at one of tables provided by the lake. All kinds of wonderful Disney tunes were playing in the background. And you guessed it, I sat there singing Disney songs for about an hour, having a great time. I'm sure that everyone that walked by thought I had lost my mind or was drunk, but I didn't care and there was no one there to tell me to stop. Sometimes being alone can be quite wonderful. Another thing I like to do by myself is eat at Woflgang Puck's Express and people watch.

I've been to WDW 5 times solo. I'm single so I go on alot of vacations solo. I eat dinner out at least once a week solo. I have eaten at LeCellier, Rose and Crown, Cinderella's Castle, Crystal Palace, Liberty Tavern, Brown Derby (I think that's it) and the 50's Prime Time. Each experience has been wonderful. I always bring a book along, and if it's a charactor meal, the wait staff has been wonderful about taking my picture with a charactor as they come to my table. At the Liberty Tavern, Goofy sat down at the other chair and we carried on a Pantamime converation. Because I had a book out, my waitress at 50's Prime Time put a bib on me because I might spill. The kids at the table next to me got a laugh out of that. I have never really had a problem eating alone, and if I have, I've questioned the staff.
One restaurant here in Minnesota gave me a hard time, and I asked why. I was told because single people don't tip as well. I told her I was a waitress in the cities so she should not always go by that. I tip based on the service, (If they chit chat that's fine) but as long as I'm checked on I always tip well.
If you want to try it first out at a restaurant, go to a family style restaurant and give it a try.
Disney has always treated me well.

With 10 solo trips and 1 family trip to WDW (plus a couple solos to DL) in the past 5 years, I have eaten many times alone. I do have to say that IRL, I have eaten many times alone also, as I am 'on the raod' often as I go about my day's work. At WDW, or elsewhere, I usually will have somethng to read if I want to while there. I do often engage the wait staff in conversation, if they seem recpetive, as well as other guests. Eating 'alone' poses no hesitations for me.

I eat out alone probably twice a week, every week. On Wednesdays and Fridays, I have somewhere to go after work, and it doesn't make sense to go all the way back home, to go back out again. I most often eat at our local mall. I carry a
"companion" with me. My "companion" is the latest Soap Opera Digest. This is small enough to fit in my purse, and if I accidently left it there, it's no big deal. I would never want to accidently leave one of my favorite books on the table.

When I go shopping, I actually prefer to shop alone, so I am well used to eating in the mall alone. Most of the time I use the food court, but if I have enough time I will take a mall restaurant.

I am well used to being alone. I am married, but we don't have any children. At home though, if I am alone, I really prefer to eat in front of the TV set.

On my first solo trip to WDW, I was a bit concerned about dining alone. I used the notepad trick, jotting down things I'd seen, places I had been during the day. That helped a lot. The food courts, of course, were a breeze. I love to people watch, so I always enjoy that aspect of it.

Dining solo really doesn't bother me now, the servers are usually so friendly and helpful. Smile, and use your charm (you have it!! :)), it can be a very nice experience!

:)

I'm single but I rarely dine alone at sitdown restaurants at home. But I like the solo fine dining at WDW. I relax, people watch, and enjoy the meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter