For when we sail again....can we talk concierge traveling with non-concierge...

Clojel

DIS Veteran
We are booked concierge on the fantasy for Dec 2021 (🤞🤞🤞). My parents are considering joining us but they will not want to pay for concierge. Has anyone travelled as a “mixed” party before? What was your experience? I assume we can book a cabana and have them join us - since we’ll be under the 6 person limit. What about Palo/remy? Spa services? I’m not trying to skirt the system - I totally get that concierge costs extra $$ and as a consequence you get perks - just trying to figure out what is/isn’t allowed. I know they can’t go into the lounge or the sundeck. TIA!

We were able to join in the cabana when we sailed with Concierge people. As concerns Palo, we were already Platinum so I'm not sure if that applied.

I'm booked concierge for the first time for a March cruise, not that I think it will happen, we are traveling with a non-concierge party as well. But here is what the concierge team told me when I called. We linked the rooms for dining and the cabana and I was able to book anything we are doing together at our booking window, so excursions, drink tastings and Palo. If there was some experience they wanted to do that I'm not they need to book that themselves at their booking window. They told me for boarding if we are traveling to port together they could ignore their port arrival window and get to port at the same time as us. However if we wanted to board together we would need to wait until their boarding group was called and board then.

Concur with other posters comments re booking excursions and cabana together is fine. I think the biggest obstacle, imo, is the use of the concierge lounge. Many years ago when the economy was not great, the difference between concierge and regular cabin price was minimal so we decided to do concierge for our first Dream cruise. Well, probably bad move on our part since it is hard to go back now! Anyway, one thing we love about concierge on Dream/Fantasy is the lounge and sun deck. It is a good way to get out of the hustle and bustle of the rest of the ship. Plus all the food, drinks etc in lounge is a great bonus (of course, no idea what Post Covid concierge will be like). If your parents are non-concierge they will not be able to use lounge and sun deck. That is one area where we have seen them "enforce" matters when non-concierge friends try to visit.

I have only traveled concierge once, and I am sure our experience was NOT typical. I booked the Walt Disney suite on the Wonder for a 5 night cruise out of Miami for her 60th birthday. As a surprise to her, I also booked 3 non-concierge cabins for our adult children and their families. I believe that this was the first cruise on the Wonder that they were testing having happy hours for concierge guests in part of a bar. Also, a bunch of the concierge rooms were being renovated, so they had less than the usual number of guests. I was able to book 2 cabanas on the family beach for our party (unfortunately, the seas were too rough to dock, so we were unable to use). Unexpectedly to me, the concierge hosts invited the other members of our party to some of the events in the bar/lounge.

You should contact the concierge regarding that.

However... (Unsollicited advice coming) If that was me, I would probably try to downgrade to non-concierge just so both parties would be equal.

You can still get nice cabins, Remy and Palo reservations (that you can link together) and a cabana even if you are not sailing concierge (I know I did). There is free food everywhere on the ship and with the money you save by not sailing concierge, you can order pretty gifts, signature food and book the best wine package on top of that... You can also book the best excursions and/or book a better hotel to your pre-cruise or post-cruise stay.

They told me for boarding if we are traveling to port together they could ignore their port arrival window and get to port at the same time as us.
This is weird--since port arrival times were never actually enforced for anyone before. Maybe a sign they are changing that to avoid terminal crowding, which would be a good thing!

However... (Unsollicited advice coming) If that was me, I would probably try to downgrade to non-concierge just so both parties would be equal.

You can still get nice cabins, Remy and Palo reservations (that you can link together) and a cabana even if you are not sailing concierge (I know I did). There is free food everywhere on the ship and with the money you save by not sailing concierge, you can order pretty gifts, signature food and book the best wine package on top of that... You can also book the best excursions and/or book a better hotel to your pre-cruise or post-cruise stay.
Agree with this too a point--except that the OP mentioned a CC cabana, and that is pretty much the only thing that you need concierge for. And it is also possible OP is booking a suite for nicer room layout/amenities, which is also only in Concierge. But otherwise agree that I would hate to pay for concierge only to never use the lounge and sundeck because we are spending time with non-concierge travel party in the "regular" ship areas.

Agree with this too a point--except that the OP mentioned a CC cabana, and that is pretty much the only thing that you need concierge for. And it is also possible OP is booking a suite for nicer room layout/amenities, which is also only in Concierge. But otherwise agree that I would hate to pay for concierge only to never use the lounge and sundeck because we are spending time with non-concierge travel party in the "regular" ship areas.

I’ve had a cabana at Castaway Cay... And I was not staying concierge. And I was only silver.

Concur with other posters comments re booking excursions and cabana together is fine. I think the biggest obstacle, imo, is the use of the concierge lounge. Many years ago when the economy was not great, the difference between concierge and regular cabin price was minimal so we decided to do concierge for our first Dream cruise. Well, probably bad move on our part since it is hard to go back now! Anyway, one thing we love about concierge on Dream/Fantasy is the lounge and sun deck. It is a good way to get out of the hustle and bustle of the rest of the ship. Plus all the food, drinks etc in lounge is a great bonus (of course, no idea what Post Covid concierge will be like). If your parents are non-concierge they will not be able to use lounge and sun deck. That is one area where we have seen them "enforce" matters when non-concierge friends try to visit.

Yes, I know they won’t be able to use the lounge/sundeck. I don’t *think* they’ll be concerned about that. We’ve cruised 2x and both times it’s been concierge....and we did use the lounge a lot for breakfast & lunch....but not so much with the sundeck. Do you know how seating in the MDR works? If we want them to sit with us can I arrange that?

You should contact the concierge regarding that.

That makes total sense ....but my DH is a concierge or bust kind of guy...haha!!

This is weird--since port arrival times were never actually enforced for anyone before. Maybe a sign they are changing that to avoid terminal crowding, which would be a good thing!

I think the approach I’m going to take if my parents opt to come and go non-concierge, is that we aren’t doing “everything” together. They’re pretty independent people by nature and they’ll like time apart from us as well. That’s the hope, anyway! Just trying to see what we CAN do together and what we can’t! :)

I’ve had a cabana at Castaway Cay... And I was not staying concierge. And I was only silver.
Then you either sailed years ago, off season, or were very lucky. Every cruise we have been on has seen cabanas sold out before platinum booking day.

Yes, I know they won’t be able to use the lounge/sundeck. I don’t *think* they’ll be concerned about that. We’ve cruised 2x and both times it’s been concierge....and we did use the lounge a lot for breakfast & lunch....but not so much with the sundeck. Do you know how seating in the MDR works? If we want them to sit with us can I arrange that?
Yes, your pre-arrival concierge helper can link your reservations and give you a private table together.

I think the approach I’m going to take if my parents opt to come and go non-concierge, is that we aren’t doing “everything” together. They’re pretty independent people by nature and they’ll like time apart from us as well. That’s the hope, anyway! Just trying to see what we CAN do together and what we can’t! :)
I envy your strangely healthy relationship with your parents! My family is like that one in the Big Fat Greek Wedding movie (if you’ve seen it)—no boundaries! Joking aside, you can do pretty much everything together except the lounge and sub deck.

Then you either sailed years ago, off season, or were very lucky. Every cruise we have been on has seen cabanas sold out before platinum booking day.

Yes, your pre-arrival concierge helper can link your reservations and give you a private table together.

I envy your strangely healthy relationship with your parents! My family is like that one in the Big Fat Greek Wedding movie (if you’ve seen it)—no boundaries! Joking aside, you can do pretty much everything together except the lounge and sub deck.

hahaha! I wouldn't say "healthy"...but they are pretty good about keeping themselves occupied!

That makes total sense ....but my DH is a concierge or bust kind of guy...haha!!
Completely understand. We've completed 4 Disney cruises and all Concierge and really would be difficult to go non-Concierge. Sounds like if your parents are good on their own it shouldn't be a problem. We have a cruise booked for October 2021 and really hope they are back by then. I think yours in December is more of a reality. Enjoy!

Completely understand. We've completed 4 Disney cruises and all Concierge and really would be difficult to go non-Concierge. Sounds like if your parents are good on their own it shouldn't be a problem. We have a cruise booked for October 2021 and really hope they are back by then. I think yours in December is more of a reality. Enjoy!

I really hope we both get to sail!! Fingers crossed 🤞

Reactions: ngl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter