• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those who live in the Chicago area (stadium related)...

Agree … nfl season ticket holder and I would rather see my team leave than have one more cent of public tax money spent on another stadium. Had enough

Absolutely agree! I live in Western NY. The Buffalo Bills are getting a new stadium built. It’s projected to cost $1.4 billion. New York State will contribute $600 million in funding with Erie County contributing $250 million, the Bills contributing $350 million, and the National Football League via a G-4 loan $200 million. In addition the Bills signed a 30-year lease, with a buyout option after 15 years. So 850 million from taxpayers, 550 million from the team/ nfl. The team is responsible for any cost over runs. Voters in NY State & Erie County did not get any chance to vote on this stadium. Disgusting.

However, the Bills are also charging season ticket holders a seat licensing fees in order to buy their season tickets. So even more money coming from local taxpayers before they can secure their season tickets. There was no information about how much the fees would be before the stadium deal was approved. Most season ticket holders still don’t know what their cost will be. A local business owner with 4 premium seats was told his licensing fee would be $50K per seat. So $200K on top of the actual ticket cost. He’s just an average middle class small businessman, not a millionaire. He told the news reporter he talked to he will have to give up the tickets after decades of having them.

This is in Orchard Park NY & is an open air stadium, not a dome. So not even usable year round. It’s used for 9- 12 pro football games & 1 weekend of high school playoffs a year. There are maybe 2-3 concerts a year. So somewhere from 16-20 events a year. For 1.4 Billion dollars.

And guess who gets the profits from any event. Yea, the Buffalo Bills. We’re paying for millionaires who work for billionaires to play a game. Such a great benefit to society. :sad2:

Last edited:

Absolutely agree! I live in Western NY. The Buffalo Bills are getting a new stadium built. It’s projected to cost $1.4 billion. New York State will contribute $600 million in funding with Erie County contributing $250 million, the Bills contributing $350 million, and the National Football League via a G-4 loan $200 million. In addition the Bills signed a 30-year lease, with a buyout option after 15 years. So 850 million from taxpayers, 550 million from the team/ nfl. The team is responsible for any cost over runs. Voters in NY State & Erie County did not get any chance to vote on this stadium. Disgusting.

However, the Bills are also charging season ticket holders a seat licensing fees in order to buy their season tickets. So even more money coming from local taxpayers before they can secure their season tickets. There was no information about how much the fees would be before the stadium deal was approved. Most season ticket holders still don’t know what their cost will be. A local business owner with 4 premium seats was told his licensing fee would be $50K per seat. So $200K on top of the actual ticket cost. He’s just an average middle class small businessman, not a millionaire. He told the news reporter he talked to he will have to give up the tickets after decades of having them.

This is in Orchard Park NY & is an open air stadium, not a dome. So not even usable year round. It’s used for 9- 12 pro football games & 1 weekend of high school playoffs a year. There are maybe 2-3 concerts a year. So somewhere from 16-20 events a year. For 1.4 Billion dollars.

And guess who gets the profits from any event. Yea, the Buffalo Bills. We’re paying for millionaires who work for billionaires to play a game. Such a great benefit to society. :sad2:
Yep … paid 4K per seat for PSL fees when I was young and stupid …

I live in Evanston, just north of chicago. I love the bears but rarely go to games. I don’t think public money should be used. At the same time, though, I think the ideas they have proposed are good and personally I would like to see them stick it to the Friends of the Park, an elite group whose mission is saving the lake front…so they say. They turned me off completely when they managed to stop Lucas from building the Lucas Family Museum which would have been incredible for the city of chicsgo since George Lucas has an incredible art collection. And it would have been built on what is partly a parking lot. It’s now being built in San Francisco.
We’ve just gone through a fight in Evanston because northwestern is tearing down their football stadium and building a new smaller one that would also be used for a few concerts. The city was quite divided with signs going up all over, in favor or against, traffic, noise, etc was cited as issues. Although northwestern has always hosted several games a year and few complained about traffic before. The biggest issue apparently were the concerts so eventually NU agreed to only 6 concerts a year.

Northwestern has not been a good neighbor to evanston over the years, taking lots of property off the tax rolls and not giving evanston much in exchange. For the new stadium they have agreed on several million dollars payments to evanston, ticket and concession taxes paid to evanston, etc. We live about a mile from the stadium and have season tickets so I’m happy overall with the plan although I know we will have to pay a seat license fee to keep our great seats which we have had for 20 years.

I live in NW Indiana, so very close to Chicago.
I watch the Chicago news every day and see what’s going on in the city. It’s a shame….a crying shame….that it’s more important to use taxpayer dollars towards a stadium instead of their school system. Crime is horrible in Chicago, but maybe if the school system was better funded to provide extra activities for kids to belong in, they wouldn’t gravitate to gangs and crime as much as they do now. It’s time for tax dollars to be used for the betterment of society and not for the betterment of the wealthy, because that’s who’s going to that new stadium - the wealthy. The Bears need to pay for this themselves and if they can’t afford it, then….oh well. To bad so sad! I’d like to live in an $800,000 house with an in ground pool and have all the extras, but I can’t afford it, so therefore I don’t get it. The whole thing frustrates me and it doesn’t even involve me.

I watch the Chicago news every day and see what’s going on in the city. It’s a shame….a crying shame….that it’s more important to use taxpayer dollars towards a stadium instead of their school system. Crime is horrible in Chicago, but maybe if the school system was better funded to provide extra activities for kids to belong in, they wouldn’t gravitate to gangs and crime as much as they do now. It’s time for tax dollars to be used for the betterment of society and not for the betterment of the wealthy, because that’s who’s going to that new stadium - the wealthy. The Bears need to pay for this themselves and if they can’t afford it, then….oh well. To bad so sad! I’d like to live in an $800,000 house with an in ground pool and have all the extras, but I can’t afford it, so therefore I don’t get it. The whole thing frustrates me and it doesn’t even involve me.
@slo , as you live in Indiana, do you have any thoughts on my other thread on Indiana possibly getting an MLS team?

Reactions: slo

Exactly correct SLO. Chicago needs to play hardball like Los Angeles did. Eventually they got a billionaire to pay the entire cost of the stadium.

You know me…..I’m not a soccer girl, so it doesn’t matter to me. In fact…I don’t get into any professional sports except The Blackhawks.
Fair. I was just curious if you root for Indiana teams too or just Chicago based ones. But I guess your previous post kind of answers that.

Reactions: slo
Fair. I was just curious if you root for Indiana teams too or just Chicago based ones. But I guess your previous post kind of answers that.
Most people by me are fans of Chicago teams. Very rarely do you see a Colts jersey on someone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter