For those who kennel their dogs at Best Friends

Bete

DIS Veteran
do you feel it's an advantage to stay at Port Orleans-Riverside which is the closest Disney resort to the kennel; so, you can visit there easily and more close by? Has anyone walked back and forth from kennel to PO-Riverside?

I've been debating this issue as to where to stay on Disney. We normally stay at POP; we are very budget conscious. It's really hard for me to pay the upcharge to stay moderate. Besides, I would rather have my dog stay in a nicer kennel than stay at a moderate resort. We always have a car.

I would like to make a few visits each day to the kennel; it would be morning and night each day at a minimum. If my dog is not doing well there I may increase my visits. This will not be day care for her, but overnight for my dog for about 10 days. She's a young dog with a hard start to life and she is not stranger friendly or dog friendly sad to say; so, I'm very concerned about keeping her at a kennel. I'm trying to desensitize her, but it's ben very difficult and there are no signs of a break through that way. She goes about 10 pounds soaking wet and she seems harmless, but she doesn't want to be with anyone but her family. She is so sweet to us, but that's were it begins and ends. She did have training, but this problem has only gotten worse. I'm concerned about how this will go with the kennel. So, I will pay the upcharge for a moderate, if you think that will help us.

Looking for opinions from those who have kenneled their dogs there already.

Please help and share your opinions.

With all the bookings at the kennel I thought it would be easier to get some opinions, here.

I don't have an answer for you but i would like to know also. We are booking a trip for October and will need to kennel our sweet girl. We plan to visit her everyday. There is a best friends resort FAQ thread with pics and reviews but I can't find it now for some reason.

We just boarded our almost 10 yo pug and stayed at POR. I too visit at least twice day. I would definatley say it's worth staying close. It would generally take an hour to go over and visit with him. I always had to wait in a rather long line to have them get him for me. Then we would take him out to play for about 15-25 minutes or so and we had to wait again when he was ready to go back. While the facility is great, the staff leaves much to be desired. I had some other issues at the end of a 6 night stay, and no one could explain it to me and no one could find my dogs "report card" hoping that would explain it. All they could say was if we find it we will mail it to you. :confused3
Anyways, it was absolutely worth being across the street because I wanted to be there in the morning and evening and sometimes midday, too. Oh I forgot to add, my pug had never had issues at the older WDW kennels, so I was a bit disappointed after this stay.

Our eight month old Akita stayed there last month. We were at SSR, which I found to be very convenient. POR is even more so. We visited twice a day, morning and night. They have a very nice dog park, which is a good place for socialization under your supervision. Staff at BF are super friendly. Hopefully your pup will adapt easily. We will return again in June.

We just boarded our almost 10 yo pug and stayed at POR. I too visit at least twice day. I would definatley say it's worth staying close. It would generally take an hour to go over and visit with him. I always had to wait in a rather long line to have them get him for me. Then we would take him out to play for about 15-25 minutes or so and we had to wait again when he was ready to go back. While the facility is great, the staff leaves much to be desired. I had some other issues at the end of a 6 night stay, and no one could explain it to me and no one could find my dogs "report card" hoping that would explain it. All they could say was if we find it we will mail it to you. :confused3
Anyways, it was absolutely worth being across the street because I wanted to be there in the morning and evening and sometimes midday, too. Oh I forgot to add, my pug had never had issues at the older WDW kennels, so I was a bit disappointed after this stay.

Hi Ann,
I just sent you a PM.

Hi, Bete. I always bring my puppies with me and board them at Best Friends -- the staff is unbelievable!!!:mickeyjum
While it's true you can take a shuttle to Port Orleans during the day, it might be easier for you guys to just stay there. But I think once your little one is adjusted, she'll be just fine and you won't feel the need to check up on her. I would just make sure you tell the staff about her and feel free to call and ask them to check in on her during the day! :thumbsup2
anyway, check out their Facebook page, I found it really helpful. Somebody just posted this video of their pets' visit on YouTube, which is super-cute:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3YMewaoyn4

Feel free to ask more questions, my little ones are veterans there (which means I am, too, I guess!) :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter