• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For Those Who Have Traveled to WDW with an Infant

Princess_Aurora

<font color=green>President of the Clueless Club..
What did you pack or forget to pack and wish you had when you got there?

We're going Sept 26-Oct 2 and my little guy will be just about five months old. Is it still pretty hot in Orlando then?

Anyway, I'm just wondering what all I need to bring. I'm visualizing tons of suitcases just for all of his stuff!

One thing that I DID pack that I'm so glad we remembered were 7 pacifiers!!! My husband insisted! Our daughter would only use one kind and if it got lost or broken.....well it would not have been pretty!

We actually ended up needing 4 of them!!!

If there is anything your child is VERY particular about I'd bring a backup just in case!

The youngest we've taken one of ours was 3months. Things that I wish I had packed, but did not, were extra diapers, more clothes than I did. I only figured on 2 outfits a day, but she had reflux, so we went through more than that. Hmmm.. extra hats, we lost the only one we had brought for her, sure you can get them there, but it still would have been nice to not have to. One thing we did bring, and I am glad we did was a sling to carry her. She loved her stroller, but also wanted to be held a lot.. I think that's about it... And, if your little one takes a bottle, more formula than you think you will need. It's better to have extra than run out there, and pay what they want for formula. I did not have this happen, but I was in the baby area when someone did... Have fun!!

In addition to the great advice offered already, don't forget to pack something to provide shade, and I would highly recommend a clip-on, battery operated fan. We misted our baby frequently and kept the fan running most of the time we took our then 6-month old on an October trip. If you're not nursing, we found that we did well with powdered formula (lighter weight than premixed and no worry of spoilage).

The other best baby tips I have learned here are the same as with older children - let them rest when they need to, and let them help you set the schedule. We found that our baby seemed delighted with the sights and sounds and we took him on everything that was safe enough to take him on -- obviously, no thrill rides! : )

Have a great trip!

our daughter Anna was almost 7 months old when we went in May and will not quite 10 months when we go back in a few weeks.

1. twice as many diapers and formula (if you bottle feed) as you use at home. we brought 4 bottles with us, and that was plenty. something to wash the bottles, pacifiers, and teething toys with we had a small bottle of dawn dish soap in the room. I used the sinks at the baby care centers, too.

2. footed sleepers to sleep in-the A/C in the room gets cool at night

3. sunscreen--lots of it (although I would check with the ped. about what kind due to the baby's age)

4. floppy hats--2

5. swim diapers

6. cloth diapers (for spit up and spills), receiving blanket, "lovies"

7. stroller fan--used it a lot

8. backpack diaper bag--much easier to carry

9. lightweight, but sturdy stroller

10. I know where all the baby care centers are in the parks--I found out before we left. as it turned out, we only used the one at the MK, but it was good info to have

11. baby tylenol, pedialyte, other meds from home. pediatrician's phone number

12. lots of film/ video stuff

13. baby bjorn/ sling....ours was a lifesaver

14. 2 outfits/ day--unles you are doing laundry.....

If you use bottles, take a big bowl of some sort to wash them in. You may want to do that anyway for pacifiers and toys. Hotel sinks gross me out. People you don't know brush their teeth in there, and you don't know how well it was disinfected.

Just be prepared for any kind of weather. We went last Dec with my 4 month DS and brought lightweight coveralls, but the weather was so hot I had to stop and buy him a whole summer outfit that I knew he wouldn't fit in by the time spring came the next year. He also got a cold, so be sure to bring some tylenol along. And have your bottles ready for take-off on the plane. Sucking on them can help alleviate the ear pressure. Good luck! It's alot of work with an infant, but can still be fun.

When I went with a 5mo I carried a tiny bottle of antibacterial soap into the parks with me. I used it to wash her bowl and spoon after I fed her cereal (I carried a small container of baby cereal, which I mixed with a bit of water or formula) and her bottles. I also used it to wash my own hands. You have to wash them SO often after diaper changes, etc., and the powdered soap they have in most of the parks is truly awful.

Also, bring a lightweight receiving blanket. You can use it to cover up while nursing, or if it gets cool in an attraction, or if you need to shield her from bright sunlight...

BTW, my 5mo developed a meaningful relationship with Chip at the character meal at the Garden Grille in EPCOT. When we went back at 23mo she was terrified of the characters, but at 5mo they delighted her.

Edit: OH, and I definitely second the sling. You can't take strollers in the lines, and you'll need something to help save your arms and back when you're carrying her all the time. Slings are VERY versatile. My now-2.5yo has used hers since the day she was born, and I carried her in it for a while just this morning at a swim meet.
http://www.parentingconcepts.com
(E-mail them and ask about clearance slings. I got my last one for <$20. They don't advertise them, so you do have to ask.)

If you are flying and renting a car stop at Wal Mart/Target on the way to your hotel. We (DW and I) went with DD (2 years) and DS (8 months) last February. It would have been a lot of work to pack/bring all the diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, etc. we needed.

We brought a list of the things we needed and picked them up on the way to our hotel. Half way through the trip we made another Wal Mart run (after visiting IOA) for a few more things.

If you aren’t planning on renting a car the whole trip, consider renting for the first day. You can pick up a National car at MCO and drop it off a the Car Care center or the Swan/Dolphin. The National shuttle will take you back to your hotel or other location on WDW property.

The sling is very valuable. We went last year with our 5month old ds. We would alternate between sling and stroller. When she was sleepy I could put her in the sling and she would nap as I enjoyed rides, shows, etc. Also be sure to pack a small container of dish soap for cleaning everything. DS was nursing so I would pump and used the ice bucket to keep milk cool over night or for portions of the day until it was used.

Narcoossee

I traveled with my daughter when she was about 3 months, and with both sons at 1 year. I used the powdered for all 3. It was very easy to mix just what I needed and not have to worry about keeping the milk cold. The thing I wish I would have packed was dish detergent so I could have washed the bottles and sippy cups more thoroughly. Have a great trip.

If you are going to be using a crib or pack-n-play supplied by the hotel, you might want to bring a sheet or 2 for it. In the crib we had gotten almost 2 years ago at the Beach Club they had a queen sheet on it, just tucked under.

Dish soap and a bottle brush, maybe a drying rack and a roll of paper towels...

Oh, LOTS of diaper rash cream. DD's both have potential for really bad rashes in the humid heat that pops up any time of year.

Swimsuits and swim diapers, and whatever medicine you use for aches/pains/fevers and some gas or upset tummy stuff in case tummies are upset by the routine change and different foods.

These are all things I've had to run out for when we've been staying at Disney, or had to pay the Disney premium to buy them on site when I needed them.

Great tips on things to bring. I actually brought way to much stuff. I packed 5 bottles of 96oz apple juice. I was heavy going down but we used it all and didn't have to bring it home. It cost me $5.00 for the juice at home and even though it was a little heavy it would have cost us $1.00 for every bottle she drank and when she has at least 7 bottles a day for 14 days that's $98. So think ahead of what you'll need. Don't be afraid to pack food and snacks and drinks.
Packing a washcloth is a great tip too. Your little one can cool off with it and play with it at the same time.
The only thing I did forget was orajel. I advise you to pack it if your little one is or may be teething because you won't find it at WDW.

Another vote for the Sling here! I've used one for 3 of our trips and I swear if I had them in my car I could have sold them and funded our trip! LOL!! I loved the ability to stand in line and nurse the baby. I also vote for the backpack for the diaper bag instead of something to sling over your shoulder! You carry the baby and have dad carry the backpack! (Otherwise you will look like a packmule! LOL!) I think the only thing that we forgot that we wished we had brought was our son's favorite toy (big brain fart there) Fortunately he was content with the new Mickey car we bought him in the park.

:earsgirl:

the best thing we did was to ship by UPS all of the baby's diapers, wipes and jar foods to the Hotel ahead of time. Made for a lot less to carry on the way down and they were all used up for the way home.
have Fun!

I buy the new 'disposable faceclothes' and I LOVE them! They will travel great too - you won't have to worry about messy bottle of soap and shampoo thatt might spill and one towel does it all! I will definately bring a box on our trip (about 2.79 for a box of 18 i think)

It's been a LONG time since my baby was a baby, but I remember packing quite a bit of things to travel.

1. Call the hotel and find out the size crib sheets you will need and bring a few.

2. Blankets, cloth diapers

3. diapers/wipes/travel size powder/ diaper rash ointment/travel size wipe container/comb

4. Johnson's head to toe disposable baby wash cloths

5. Clothes- I would bring enough to change about 3x a day
6. disposable bibs! Shout wipes!

7. bottles, pacifiers, pacifier clips, small dish detergent, bottle brush

8. baby food, spoons. I would bring everything in jars already mixed, so you don't have to mess with bowls. If your baby eats a half jar of this and a half jar of that, I would just bring the tiny jars (even if its more expensive).

9. Medications and a thermometer, vaseline

10.sunscreen (check with pediatrician), swim diapers, swimsuit.

11. Light socks for feet (don't want them to get sunburned)

12. sunhats

13. Stroller (a lightweight one if possible) and baby sling.

14. favorite toys for the room and stroller

15. One of those things that (can't think of the name now) you plug in at night with the ocean sounds , rainfall, white noise, whatever.

I would plan on early days and afternoon breaks, so that you can all nap peacefully and get up and enjoy your evening. Bring water and squeeze breeze into the parks.

If you do rent a car or have a car service that will make a grocery stop, then I would buy everything once you land.

When you pack to go to the parks, if you are going to take a break, then only pack for half the day and refill your bag again for the evening.

Definitely dish detergent to clean sippy cups and bottles, but the one thing that I always forget is a night light for the hotel room.

I need to pack that in our suitcase now!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter