• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those who have done dopey before

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
OK no flaming please as I am really asking this for a friend, I have my own registration.

I have a female friend who will be using her husbands bib to do dopey, they both wanted to do it but have young kids so he was going to do it this year and her next. However, he has a major injury and won't be able to race. He has asked for a medical deferral and she was going to register for dopey as it is still open. However, Disney doesn't do them anymore. So instead of being out the money she is just going to use his bib.

The question is I know they take your photo at the expo which is fine as he can pick up the bib and she can have her photo taken, however in taking the photo do they also verify who you are? Now if the bib was in the name of say Sue then it will be ok as female to female. However, since it is her hubbys bib will they see that this is a male bib?

Thank you for any insight I can pass along.

Kim

When I got a challenge bib, I picked up the bib and my photo was taken immediately while holding it, righr next to where I picked it up.

OK no flaming please as I am really asking this for a friend, I have my own registration.

I have a female friend who will be using her husbands bib to do dopey, they both wanted to do it but have young kids so he was going to do it this year and her next. However, he has a major injury and won't be able to race. He has asked for a medical deferral and she was going to register for dopey as it is still open. However, Disney doesn't do them anymore. So instead of being out the money she is just going to use his bib.

The question is I know they take your photo at the expo which is fine as he can pick up the bib and she can have her photo taken, however in taking the photo do they also verify who you are? Now if the bib was in the name of say Sue then it will be ok as female to female. However, since it is her hubbys bib will they see that this is a male bib?

Thank you for any insight I can pass along.

Kim

I'm hoping everything goes well for your friend, but I would be a little concerned about whether this will work out well for them.

First off, I don't think this is the type of transgression that Disney is looking to crack down on. The spirit of what they are doing is completely logical considering the circumstances.

However, I worry that this is one of the narrow instances where the minimal checks and balances Disney has in place (I don't believe they are really all that concerned with catching anyone, merely with the appearance of concern) might actually throw up a red flag. Having a person running that is a different gender than the registration might be one of the few things they catch at some point along the way. Names are on the bib, but this could possibly be explained with the caveat that it's a family name or some other excuse. There is nothing visible on the front of the bib that I remember that would identify a registration as being for a male or female runner. The bigger problem may be if the registration information is pulled up when they are verifying runner pictures for Dopey during and after the races. I'm not sure exactly how the process works, but after the full marathon you do get stopped for some sort of verification before getting your Goofy and Dopey medals.

Hope this helps and I hope they get their situation resolved.

Thank you both for the insight. That is the one thing I raised concern to them about as well was the name but during races I have seen many names on bibs thay didn't match the gender. My concern to her was if they verify the registration at the time of the photo then she would be caught for sure

I guess she can always try and see what happens. I was be sad to do all the training and not get the dopey medal.

As stated earlier, they do take a picture immediately after the bib is picked up and the bib can only be picked up by the registered participant. They check photo ID when the bib is picked up. Upon completion of the Dopey, they compare the photo they took with the person who is finishing the Dopey. This is their control to ensure the same person who was issued the bib is the same person who finishes the Dopey. It is unknown if they compare the pictures from all the other races to the marathon finisher as well to make sure the same person used the bib for all the races (possible).

If your friend does this, she needs to be prepared to be DQ'ed at the finish and not receive the Dopey and Goofy medals. She should also make sure to complete the emergency contact information on the back of the bib with her emergency contact information. Disney could also (theoretically) ban the original entrant and her from future events.

When I ran LC this past weekend, I remember them looking my information up when I went to the challenge tent to get my LC medal immediately after the half. I'm pretty sure she was checking my picture as well as confirming that I finished the 10K the day prior. Once she confirmed everything, she let me through to get my Challenge medal. When I picked up my race bib the photographer was literally RIGHT next to the booth to take my picture (maybe 4 steps away). It would have been impossible for me to swap the bib with someone.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not likely but is theoretically possible to bypass the photo thing. If your friend's husband picks the bib up the morning of the 5k they generally don't take the photos there (at least in my experience). Instead after the race you then have to go to the expo to get your photo taken there (unless this has changed recently). At that point I am unsure as to whether they would look at your ID before taking a photo of since your friend already has the bib. I think it would depend on the cast member. That isn't to say she's guaranteed to get the Dopey/Goofy medals because they may still raise an eyebrow over the gender but at that point I'm not sure if they would actually not give her the medals (for PR reasons they may not be able to confront her about her gender if she is in the photo or she could claim it's a mistake). That would be my guess. I'm not advocating this be attempted or that it would even work and the consequences could be the same DQ, race ban, etc. but if they are planning to go through with this regardless then I would think this has a slightly higher chance of success.

Edited: Tried to clarify. They do still require ID for race day pick up and it would require both showing up the morning of the first race but it does change when the photo is taken.

Last edited:

I think I had to show my photo ID when I got my bib and then they sent me over to get my photo taken

Probably not going to work. Volunteers check ID when they give out the bib. Everyone can see the runner getting their bib and their picture taken - the volunteer who handed them the bib, the person standing behind them on line, etc. I don't see runDisney overlooking that. Sorry for your friend's husband's injury.

Have they tried calling and talking to RunDisney directly about the situation? There have been some stories relayed of people with medical issues getting at least partial refunds of their registration due to the deferrals going away. If your friend could get a refund for her husband, she could use that to register for her Dopey and maybe even come out ahead with some of the deep discounts the travel agents are offering right now. Plus it would be a much less stressful more aboveboard approach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter