For those who bring babies to DLR...why?

I took my DS when he was 9mo and my DD was 2yrs. That was the easiest trip I've had with him to date! I carried him in the Baby Bjorn all day, was able to hop on the kiddie rides like Peter Pan, Mr Toads, and others with him snuggly tucked away. He napped great in his stroller. Fast forward to three years later when we had to leave the parks often to avoid meltdowns and he didn't want to smile in any of the pictures... :guilty: He's now 6 and we are going in 2 weeks. We shall see how this compares to his first trip!

I think it's a worthwhile question, hard to understand/appreciate the context when you see a crying baby anywhere, not unique to Disney.

This thread hits at a good time for me
Reason being is I just had someone ask me why we took our kids on vacation when "they will not remember it"
Part of my reply was why are you having a birthday party for your child? They will not remember it.
(That drove home the point to them)
Point being we do lots of things for and with our kids that they will not remember but we will remember it and you can't go back and make the member is once the time passes

some folks have to plan their trips more than a year in advance so they can save and pay the trip off - during that year some of those babies are born! (not from personal experience but I know several folks that have gone with infants because the trip was planned and paid for!)

my son jordan is living proof of that my monkey was a month old when he went with us :blush: most of it was paid but it was also the point of telling his 3 older siblings that why couldnt go casue of baby probley might cause some resentment

This thread hits at a good time for me
Reason being is I just had someone ask me why we took our kids on vacation when "they will not remember it"
Part of my reply was why are you having a birthday party for your child? They will not remember it.

Do you know the only people we know who have said that have NEVER taken their children? It's been years since they said that to DH, and they still haven't gone. Their kids are almost college age now.

And if they had said it *to me*, I would have let them know that I barely remember my *honeymoon*. We had been engaged for ages, I was planning a wedding for my husband (I wanted Vegas, he wanted a big white poofy wedding, and I created the wedding *for him* and also without him because after making that huge request he went the way of the typical groom and checked out of planning almost entirely...can you say STRESS?), I planned the honeymoon, I was worried about money, etc etc etc...and then in the week between wedding and honeymoon I got pregnant and it was so obvious that DH knew it inside of a week. I was going to bed at EIGHT on our honeymoon and could not even be woken for the Midnight Chocolate Buffet. I was a zombie on the honeymoon, and my memory is almost nil from the whole week before then week of the Alaska cruise. :(

But...should I not have gone?

Took DS at 17 months (if I had the pictures on this computer or photobucket right now, you would see me wearing cute little curly-head boy in a mei tai, in the rain, going into the line for Jungle Cruise, waiting in line for Veggie Gumbo at Royal Street Veranda, etc) then a year later, and he didn't talk about it at all. Until 6 months later, after the holiday season had passed and his grandfather had died, and suddenly (having not looked at pictures or us talking about it at all, since we came home from that trip with FIL in the hospital), when he started talking about the trip. 6 months later!

To not have taken him would mean we wouldn't have gone. If we hadn't gone for those two trips, we might not have known that we have Disney-love. If we hadn't known that, we would be FAR more boring, LOL.

My boys' were so easy going as babies, I loved taking them. With the youngest two girls' its more challenging. Still I wouldn't leave them at home. It's like chilbirth, sometimes it hurts, but eventually you forget the pain.:rotfl2:

That's a funny question to me because some people would say why would you go to Disney without babies or kids?

For us, we live in San Diego and have annual passes. We're also expecting and due in January (our youngest beside the soon coming baby is 9), and since our passes expire the first of April, we're planning on going this Saturday, hopefully again the week after Christmas for a day, and then for sure at least a day or two at the end of March, when the baby will be about 2 months old. We're not planning on renewing the passes next year, so we want to make sure we get all the use out of them that we can before their expiration. I think I'm more crazy for going at 9 months pregnant than for bringing a newborn. lol

Hmm.. nobody mentioned anything about 2yrs or younger being free :confused3

That's partly why we went--that and we happen to like to go. We lucked out and have a kid that doesn't melt down in the park, though.

I first went when I was a baby...back in 1967!

We took DD#1 (now 13) when she was three months old. It was a great trip--she enjoyed being with mom and dad, seemed to enjoy the rides (except Haunted Mansion, she did not like that one) and we had a lovely time together. She even had the courtesy to nap while we had lunch at Blue Bayou, so DH and I could enjoy a quiet meal.

We're heading down in February with our kids--DD13, DD9 and DS who will turn 3 months on the trip.

Babies are free, portable and enjoy the colors and music.

Disneyland is a fabulous place to take babies. We are from Canada so it is not just a simple day outing for us but we still do it. We loved Disney before we had kids. When we had my daughter I went through a bout of postpartum depression. It was a difficult time and even though we planned to wait for the first Disney trip we planned a spontaneous Disneyland vacation for when she was 6 months old and it was everything I needed to feel like my old self again. We've since had another baby that we took at 6 months old and I'm pregnant with another baby who will be travelling with us in August again, at 6 months old. Disneyland is such a wonderful vacation for families with babies. We do it for ourselves but they enjoy it too. Honestly, babies are very easy to travel with especially with all the amazing facilities at Disney. It is a wonderful way for our whole family to bond with its newest member.

First...this is by no means to be disrespectful or to get anyone else. So, please don't think I'm trying to start drama, because I am so not doing that.

Second...for the families that bring very young babies, why do you bring a baby with you to DLR or pick your vacation as DLR?

When we were there in October, we were standing in line and the family behind us was just the husband, wife, and their 3 month old daughter. The baby was not too happy, she was crying and each of them took turns leaving the line to take care of her. Cute baby, but she just didn't seem too happy to be there, she was just crying her little lungs out and tears coming down her eyes.

So, that's why I ask...what is the reason that families (more or less those with no other children) bring a baby to the parks?

Granted, I have no kids, just a dog (can't have kids), but watching this family and others, how much fun are you able to have if you have to keep tending to a baby who really has no clue what is going on around them?

Again...not flaming or being disrespectful. I truly want to know what the logic is behind families bringing pretty much a newborn to DLR? To me, it would make more sense around 4-5, when kids can remember the trip, not as a newborn.

I hope this makes sense. It's just something I've been wondering about ever since seeing that family.

Thanks!
Charlene

Many years ago, I was a Bond Trader. Long story short had an excellent year and the owner of the company knew DW and I were WDW fanatics. As a Christmas Bonus he gave me an all expenes paid trip to WDW. Airfare, Stay at WL and meal plan as well as the time off there, 10 days, paid. At the time my DS was 5 and DD was 11 months old. Tell me you would say no and take a chance of insulting your boss. We packed the bags the stroller and the diaper bag and had a great time. DD was very easy. Napped anywhere and really enjoyed all the stimulation. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but already have all the kids I want and no longer have a very generous boss

I'm one of those that wouldn't take a baby to DLR. I don't have anything against babies being there, but it wouldn't be a fun trip for me, to be honest. I am a big believer in family vacations but we held off on Disneyland until the kids were out of the baby stage. We don't live in the area and it just didn't appeal to us as parents to plan a trip to DL with a baby. We did take a 6-week-old baby to Hawaii (planned and paid for the trip before we learned of the impending birth) and compared to that experience, DL probably wouldn't seem too bad :rotfl2:

I'm also one that wouldn't take a baby. I have a few reason why "I" wouldn't take one:

-- It's not a one day spur of the moment trip for us. We live in Canada and plan our vacations carefully. So for us, it isn't like the zoo. Although I'd love it if it were! lol

-- Like the poster above me said, it wouldn't be as much fun for me. As much as I claim we go to DL for the kids.......it's just as much for me. lol

-- I wanted my kids to remember the vacation. Again, it's a vacation for us, not a day trip. If I'm spending 10k or more on a vacation I sure as heck want them to remember it! lol

I'm totally for people that do it but it's just not for me. We've taken then several times since their first trip and have enjoyed every second of it. I waited until my daughter was 6 or 7 the first time she went and my son came with us when he was 7 the first time he went.

Well, we didn't go for our baby. We went for us, and we happened to have a baby. The baby does the same crying, needing attention thing wherever we were... so why not at Disney? Our son was 5 months old when we went for the first time. He enjoyed the stimulation and it was actually the perfect time to go. He loved watching things but wasn't mobile at the time, so he didn't care that he was in the stroller or in the carrier. He'd nap whenever he got tired. It was awesome!

I'm one of those that wouldn't take a baby to DLR. I don't have anything against babies being there, but it wouldn't be a fun trip for me, to be honest. I am a big believer in family vacations but we held off on Disneyland until the kids were out of the baby stage. We don't live in the area and it just didn't appeal to us as parents to plan a trip to DL with a baby. We did take a 6-week-old baby to Hawaii (planned and paid for the trip before we learned of the impending birth) and compared to that experience, DL probably wouldn't seem too bad :rotfl2:

It's funny, took my DS at 9mo and DD at 2yrs to Disneyland, but said I'd never take a baby, or even toddler to Hawaii! Never appealed to me to have a beach vacation with young kids (mommy wouldn't be able to relax :goodvibes)
We finally went for the first time as a family this June (DS is now 6 and DD 8), and because of our first family trip to Disneyland (when we became DVC members), we stayed at Aulani and were able to bring along another family to stay with us! :cool1:

I always brought my daughter where ever we went. I didn't wait for near 35+ years to leave her home. But then I always brought a babysitter with us. Poor baby sitter went around the US with us as husband played ball in summer at lots of tournaments. Daughter and Babysitter were so close they even fought like sisters LOL -- And we loved Suzie like a family member and she felt the same.

I know it was a luxury to have someone travel with us to help me with daughter even though I did most of care. It was nice to know I had help and that I could spend time with husband with just him and me.

I think Disneyland is a great place for the "under three" set. First, you can carry the baby on to nearly every ride (try that at Legoland, my two-year-old got to ride a total of 2 rides all day because of height requirements), babies love to be out and look around (my girls were so much easier when we were out than they were at home), and you can get awesome pictures with your tiny one!

That being said, my youngest was almost 3 when we went on our first Disney vacation (and caught Disney fever), but not going earlier was for a variety of reasons (including DH's health). If we had a new one now, I'd prefer not to go while pregnant (since DH gets motion sick, the girls couldn't ride anything with a HR other than Soarin' without me along with), but would probably be taking our new addition before their first birthday.

I can't think of a better place to bring a baby!
Our trip when our son was 7 months old was wonderful. What other vacation destination is set up to accommodate children as well as Disney? All the restaurants are child friendly, there are changing tables everywhere (including mens restrooms), baby care centers, room for strollers, lots of easy activities and shows, a quick walk back to our hotel and an easy going atmosphere. It really felt like a vacation! Lots of relaxing!

That being said, I can't imagine doing the same trip at WDW! Too much work!

First, life doesn't stop when you have kids.

Well said.

To the OP: It's hard to understand when you don't have kids. Before I had mine, I asked the same questions. If/When you have kids someday, you will understand!:)

DH and I like to travel and we weren't about to stop just because we had a baby. We took our older DS to Hawaii at 5 months, WDW at 7 months, Rome at 11 months. My younger DS went to WDW for the first time at 6 months.

Do they remember any of these trips, proabably not! But because of all these experiences, my kids are really adaptable and are great travelers now.
I feel like all of the traveling they do helps make them well rounded people!

We took our DD (now 4) at all ages including 2 months. Had great times and memories. Maybe this makes the difference - we live in So Cal and stayed on property - being able to go back to the hotel at any time is huge. DD needs a nap or is getting hot/cranky, bail out of the park and go back to the room or pool. Yes, she cried, but as many other posters put she would have done that at home. Did she remember - no, but we have great pictures that she loves seeing now (and so do we).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter